Switchable graphics driver amd+intel Windows 10

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by dante96, Dec 15, 2016.

1. dante96

dante96 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280X
    Hi, i have an Asus S301LP with Intel Graphics 4000 + AMD Radeon HD 8530M. On windows 8 there are official drivers on Asus' site. They are working, but windows 8 is old, and drivers too. I've decided to install windows 10 because i need some new features, but the hardest part is the driver installation.

After that win10 is installed, it grabs automatically drivers. They are old, and won't let me choose anything, in dxdiag there is always amd technologies and the fan always on (on win8 fan is silent, when gpu is under stress it starts to speed up).
    If i try to force official drivers for win8, it won't let me install them. I've recently installed new amd crimson relive and seems working good but fan is always on and it causes a battery drain. With new relive drivers there is a screen that let me choose which app need Energy Saving and High Performance option. I've set Energy saving on dxdiag, and when i open it, it shows intel graphics and it's ok; but when i set High Performance on dxdiag, it shows always intel graphics. Seems it won't switch graphics...

Can you help me? Thanks

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    You can use a tool like DDU to disable Auto updating drivers from Windows Update, to allow you to control driver updates. this way you can select the proper packages.

3. dante96

dante96 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280X
    I already know that, it was to try WU drivers.

4. dante96

dante96 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280X
    UPDATE: I've reinstalled win8 with OEM drivers and i've decided to run furmark to see which gpu does it read. Result: Furmark with power saving option runs, Furmark with high performance not run (in task manager it runs and closes automatically after 1 second).

Any ideas?

5. fez

fez Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6700XT
    For my older switchable graphics laptop i have to install the latest LeshCat unifl drivers (http://leshcatlabs.net/) and after you have installed it fully then you can just update your catalyst drivers trough automatic driver update to latest catalyst driver, switchable option will stay there. After that you can access switchable power options through catalyst control center - preferences - radeon additional settings.
    Tho you have to select power option to run what graphics card for some programs because it wont detect them correctly, but that is minor issue since you can do it with ease from switchable power options.

Energy saving means that it will not run in full power and with your amd graphics. It will use processor.
    High power is what you want for gaming and apps that need graphics card and processor full power. Tho yeah, drains power faster.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  6. dante96

dante96 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280X
    Can you make me some screenshots about this? I don't understand where to switch them

7. Tempter

Tempter Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 8850m OC
    You don't have this option. Take my advice dude. Just install the newest drivers from amd(16.12.1) and be happy.:banana:

p.s. There is no options in bios to disable integrated videocard. Leshcat's driver are too old.

8. Har3inger

Har3inger Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 8870m 2GB GDDR5
    For these types of laptops, usually the AMD GPU depends highly on the Intel drivers to work. This is because the discrete GPU has to pass the frames to or through the intel GPU, which is the only GPU that has access to the monitor. How each manufacturer handles this is different. See if you can find an OEM intel driver to install, then put 16.12.1 on top of it.

At the same time, this is the reason that many GPU monitoring apps cannot pull accurate data from your laptop. I have a bunch of apps that think they're running on an Intel 4000HD, but they run at full dGPU speeds anyways. It's not a big deal as long as you get the performance you expect.

Generally the automatic intel GPU drivers or the ones from windows update don't work on laptops with dual graphics or offer broken/half working solutions. The intel OEM graphics drivers from windows 8 or 8.1 may work on 10 for, as the samsung ones have worked for me.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  9. dante96

dante96 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280X
    I've semi-solved my problem, i'll post here my solution:
    1. Installed windows and I let windows install drivers (I've tryied to disable internet connection to prevent installing drivers but the laptop goes in freeze every times. If i force rebooting it won't start up correctly)
    2. Once rebooted, I've installed latest AMD ReLive drivers
    3. Rebooted again, and installed Intel's OEM drivers.

I've no more fan issue, Furmark and other tools can see dual GPU with effective GPU usage.

There is just a problem. Sometimes (almost of times) when i shutdown my vivobook, all leds will go to off except power on led, and the fan is on. I need to force it to shutdown. Any ideas?

Update: Seems I've solved the problem. Just disabled Power off energy save in bios settings.

Thanks to everyone

Update2: I still have the problem. Any suggestions are accepted

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  10. fez

fez Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6700XT
    I can make some screenies on sunday, but for now you could just follow these steps with pictures here: http://gpuopen.com/amdpowerxpressrequesthighperformance/

"Switchable Graphics Application Settings" is the part where you can select gpu per program. "High performance" uses your best GPU. "power saving" uses your ****tier one.

11. dante96

dante96 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280X
    Thanks, I found it while fiddling it. There is just the led problem now

12. fez

fez Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6700XT
    I have the exact same problem with windows 10 laptop. it does not fully shut down. THO some people say that it gets fixed for them if they disable "fast startup" from control panel-power options-choose what the power buttons do-change settings that are currently unavailable-untick fast startup-save changes-restart

tho it did not work for me. Try and let me know.

13. dante96

dante96 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280X
    Finally I solved all my laptop's problem with windows 10. Here is my solution for those who are experiencing my problems:
    1. Clean install Windows 10
    2. After installed it, let it get every drivers automatically from Windows Update and reboot
    3. Install latest AMD ReLive drivers and reboot
    4. (Optional: Install Intel OEM drivers - For me the system works great with WU drivers ver. 20.19.15.4549 date: 10/11/2016)
    5. To solve power off problem, install Intel(R)_Management_Engine_Components_1.5M_Win8.1_64_9.5.15.1730 drivers, owriting WU's ones (DO NOT UNINSTALL THEM!)
    6. To solve other problems, install ATKPackage_Win10_64_VER100050, IRST_Intel_Win81_64_VER12801016, SmartConnect_Intel_3000ms_Win81_64_VER42412633 (ATK0100)
    7. If your audio randomly boosts and it turn back to normal when you change volume, install Audio_Realtek_Win10_64_VER6017989.

If you need these drivers i can upload my package, just let me know

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017