Resident Evil 7

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Seems for me that just lowering the AO setting from HBAO+ to SSAO significantly improves both the game's performance and how it feels to play with all the other settings maxed out at 2560x1440 as the framerate stays at 60 fps and the lagginess is almost completely gone.

My guess is the game needs a new driver or that the HBAO+ implementation in this game is buggy as it really shouldn't be running as bad as this IMO; I use HBAO+ in other games such as Watch_Dogs 2 and they remain completely playable and, if not locked at 60 fps, then certainly not as horribly laggy as this game when it dips below 60 fps.

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yes, I discovered that worked and fixed the issue. To be honest, with the game being so dark and shrouded in shadows, I am struggling to notice any difference between HBAO+ and SSAO anyway but the performance boost with SSAO definitely IS!

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah res scaling of 1.5 (Which should be 50% to 2560x1440 so 3840x2160) and HBAO+ and the game ran at 15 - 20 FPS, SSAO and it's 50 - 60 FPS. :D

Guessing it's a high precision method similar to the one in AC Syndicate with either a very high amount of samples or a very high distance though how that would be needed in a already dark house with a bunch of separated rooms I'm not too sure on. :p
    (Well the demo has other issues too, borderless mode was disabled for the demo as it was buggy and 21:9 support is currently just cropping the image.)

4. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    I agree, the difference in quality is negligible between the two with the huge boost in performance.

The game is very optimized though.
    I unlocked the frame rate and with everything on Very high and SSAO, I get between 130 to 70 fps at 1440.
    It's awesome.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Reducing the HBAO+ to SSAO and shadows from V.High to High gives a 20fps boost. Now i can hold 60 and there is no more frequent stutter when opening the doors.

6. Marcel

Marcel Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    Yes HBAO+ is performance killer but I think this is only demo problem...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Well.... Resident Evil 7 is bought.

I played the demo through, about three times. And then pre-purchased the game.
    I haven't been excited for a Resident Evil game in years, probably not since RE4. But this one.... this is fantastic.

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Idk, i didnt felt anything you did. Playing the demo i had feeling i already seen all this before in some other games.

It also makes one crucial mistake, it does not feel like a RE game.

9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I liked the demo enough, I'll consider buying it if they do a stream of the first hour or whatever because the demo is completely separate from the main game. If it's 60fps on the PS4, I'll get it for that so I'll have a reason to turn the darn thing on lol.

10. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Felt more like Resident Evil to me then any of the entries since 4.
    This reminded me of the first RE. Slow paced, creepy atmosphere... very limited resources.
    One location to explore back and forth.

The demo reminded me of Alien: Isolation. As it had the same feeling of survival horror plus very limited combat. And I loved it.

RE2 has been my favorite entry in the series forever. And as much as I love RE4, it really stepped away from what I loved about the first two games. Horror.
    5 and 6 just went full idiot with action shooter vibe and they were not RE to me. Didn't matter what characters they had, the tone and feel or them was "cheap Gears of War" and not RE.

This... this is what I've been wanting. And I'm glad the demo is it's own thing. It's not a part of the final game. It is it's own stand alone creation.
    But, from what I've seen, the main reason people don't think this "feels like RE"... is the camera.
    Because it's in first person "It's not Resident Evil"... which is bull.

11. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It reminds me a bit about the RE1 mansion (Particularly the darker one in REmake.) though the pace and resource limitations are more akin to something like Outlast.
    (You can tank multiple attacks in the original trio of Resident Evil games and the ammo you get is enough to kill everything in the games and still have ammo to spare, bit trickier with fuel resources in REmake though which can require some planning.)

I do like the game though, VR would probably be a interesting experience but it's PS4 exclusive (Timed?) though I don't have such hardware in the first place but I can see it being pretty fun.

12. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I liked it and preordered as well. It may be completely different gameplay than the other games in the series but I have always hoped they would do a first person game and this nails it I think.

13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Other then the camera perspective, and the fact that's it's a horror title... I don't get much "Outlast" from it.
    Like I said, it reminds me more of Alien Isolation. With the puzzle solving, inventory, combat/weapons...
    And, like Jack Baker... like the Xeno. An enemy that stalks you around, but you can't kill (yet).

I've managed to find 9 rounds for the pistol in the demo. Not sure if there's any more or not.
    But, the full game also has a Magnum, shotgun, grenade launcher... flamethrower. And possibly a rocket launcher (the RE standard of final boss fights).
    Plus, a shop to upgrade your skills and weapons. There will be plenty of combat in the final game.

14. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Oh it's been confirmed by Capcom that you can indeed kill the family members, they're just a bit bullet spongy for some reason but they aren't invincible.

For all I know though they might end up as "Nemesis" and come back until the intended point in the game where you do kill them permanently (If ever, perhaps you can just avoid them throughout the entire game.) but defeating them earlier well maybe it could give some bonus loot, I guess we'll have to wait and see how it works but I doubt you're given enough ammo early on to successfully kill them at least especially if they have extra toughness.

Doubt melee would be easy either since well apparently they're not that easily dealt with up close, could use Nemesis again to compare with but let's use that T00 "Trenchoat" enemy in RE2 instead for variety. :p
    (I suppose the chainsaw opponents in RE4 and RE5 kinda work too, the further away the better. :D )

For the demo you get both a pistol and also a certain melee weapon should you find it but killing moldman or what it's name was isn't easy since counting the ammo already in the pistol you apparently only get 12 bullets total (Only if you find them all.) but it can be brought down with around 8 well placed shots though since you don't really need to kill it you might as well just avoid it. :)
    (Far as I've read the one in the demo is much tougher than those in the full game.)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  15. DirtyDan

DirtyDan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB
    i didnt think you could get the gun without grabbing the valve and when i went back down it was gone. i tried killing it with the certain melee weapon but it just wouldnt die.

16. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Far as I've read the easiest is to just try to block it via some dead bodies nearby and grab the item and leave causing it to also leave after a while but there's two items to trigger it so I'm guessing it can be brought back by simply taking the second item should the player want to actually try to kill it instead.
    Weaker in the arms and head, about 8 bullets to kill it if you hit those areas.

EDIT: Ah it's called "The molded" and not "Moldman" it seems but it can die or simply be driven off, seems that's even easier by blowing one of it's legs off.

17. DirtyDan

DirtyDan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB
    ive gotten the gun and melee weapon and watched the video and shot at the dude and nothiing happened to him, so im not sure why that doesnt work. im having a hard time finding more bullets. i got 5 bullets so far.

18. The Sleeper

The Sleeper Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 FE
    Delete

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  19. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Just played the teaser for an hour or so, got the welcome to the son, family- ending and started another go... had seen letsplay before so knew what was coming.

Or so I thought, the murky door to the right opened this time (don't think it did with the first try). Holy balls!
    There's all sorts of creepy stuff here
    kinda guessed I should have turned back when I got the valve handle... the handgun ammo was a hint too. Tried fighting that thing with the axe with bad results.

Did realise to turn back and get the axe with the lockpick though :p

Btw running maxed (except shadows @ High and SSAO) 2880x1620 DSR, locked 60 fps w/ vsync.

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Agree with undying i didnt get the impression i was playing re, more like silent hill the room or blair witch project or outlast or mix of all 3...

It was good, but i didnt feel like replaying it again to get a different ending. So is the whole game going to be only inside this house?