Firmware update boosts download perf Xbox One by 80%

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    This is good, we have a xbox 1 and I did notice download speeds being really slow most of the time, Thank you for the info sir ( gotta go check for updates). Nz

3. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    The download speeds on my Xbox One have never been that great. Even with this new update my speeds are exactly how they were previously. Here are a couple of speedtests I did today, testing both 2.4GHz and 5GHz band connected to my Asus RT-AC68U.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then here is a speedtest from my desktop connected on wireless with an Asus PCE-AC68

[​IMG]

My Xbox One sits on my computer desk so both devices are exactly the same distance away from the router (about 15-20 feet)

4. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Use beta.speedtest.net (the regular speedtest.net uses Flash and won't work on the Xbox One, the beta doesn't) in Edge on your Xbox One and select the same server you do on your desktop.
    The Detailed Network Statistic test uses the Microsoft server in Redmond no matter where you are located (even over here in Europe), so it might have rather abysmal values if you live far away from that server.

With this update, our Xbox One S in the living room via 802.11ac now reaches roughly the same speedtest values as our wired desktops and WLAN laptops do after this update, before it was about half of that and there was trouble streaming NHL.tv in consistent full quality which now seems to be possible (knocking on wood here). I just downloaded some Xbox Live Gold games for the month and it reached my ISP's full download speed of roughly 250Mbit/s whereas before it reached 30Mbit/s tops. My router is an ASUS RT-AC88U with Merlin Firmware v380.63_2, by the way.

Definitely an improvement for us, it's all good now. :)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016

5. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I have never really had any download issues on the XB1, but i am only on 14 meg so it might only be for people sitting with high bandwidth's and who were not getting them.

And of course i am cabled because i found it just gives the best possible stable connection.

6. bucknuts21

bucknuts21 Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB
    Had somewhat slower than expecting when downloading games before I bought a Nighthawk X4S, but since then 60-80mbps downloads. That speed is nothing to complain about, but the next game I buy speed at 100 or more would be nice.

7. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I was thinking about that myself...what if...what if...we could somehow make a smallish disk with the full game on it? Wow...We may be on to something HH...!...:nerd: :D

A more serious note...All of my downloads on my PCs are extremely fast because they are all *wired* and don't need a wireless adaptor, which I wouldn't have, anyway, for just that reason--wireless downloading is far too slow (aside from the obvious security situation with it--encrypt the wireless and you slow it down even more.) You can have fantastic Internet access speeds (I have 105Mbs/sec access) but without a wired feed directly into Ethernet (I'm on an EWAN) any wireless setup is going to really slow you down. This article seems to be talking about a increase in the speed of the wireless connection as opposed to the actual access speed the user pays for, if I am reading this right. WIred would seem to be much better, even on the xBone, eh?)

8. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    2.4 GHz band is completely fine, if its g protocol, you can't go higher than 54 Mb and if it's n it's still not a lot faster (around 70 Mb). The 5 GHz band has a theoretical limitation of 600 Mb, but you would need to have a mimo setup. With single antena it's either 72,5 or 150 Mb.

9. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    Running the Speedtest through Edge definitely made a difference. 86Mbps down/36Mbps up.

Prior to this update, it would only get 50Mbps download, never more.

Unfortunately from what little information I could find regarding the Xbox One's wireless adapter, it appears it's only A/B/G/N. Where as the One S has Wireless AC added to that as well.

Even with Wireless-N I should still be getting more than 80Mbps. I know this is as much of a first world problem as it gets, but I can't even utilize 1/3rd of my available download speed. And prior to this update I'd only see 50Mbps.

Meanwhile on my PC with Steam I can fully saturate my download speed of 300Mbps.

10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Told about this to a working mate, he will try this today on his Xbox One.
    Later we will test it and maybe post some results..

11. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    To get more than 80 Mbps you would need to use mimo setup. With single antena it's just not possible.

12. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    Perhaps Microsoft should have spent a couple more dollars and put in a decent wireless adapter. My old Note 2 was capable of connecting at 150Mbps...

Anyway I fixed the crap download speeds.

Ran a speedtest through Edge.
    [​IMG]

Since my Xbox One is at my computer desk, I just hooked up an Ethernet cable between the two and shared it through my desktop. Problem solved.

Edit: Looks like the download speed through MS servers are limited to 100Mbps.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  13. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Apparently, the Wireless adapter of the regular Xbox One S actually does support the 802.11ac standard, but it's disabled in the firmware. In theory it could be flashed with a firmware that enables it. I'm not sure how you'd go about that, though. But maybe MS will update it themselves down the line when the Xbox One S has been on the market longer and it isn't considered an important selling point of the S any longer.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Xbox servers were already much faster then PSN servers now there even faster.
    My mind is still boggled how my ps3 wired barely hits 25mbit and the ps4 wifi hits 45mbit and if I switch said ps4 to wired it barely hits 25mbit.

15. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    their w10 store is notorious for being close to alpha-level reliability and quite frankly I don't even bother with it anymore, while steam's servers will annihilate your connection if left uncapped, w10's store will take whatever time it feels like doing to download a calculator app, try a game and now you're just gambling with your time & patience

but I wonder what did they do with the xbox, fix their backend that maybe happens to be the same as w10's store? or maybe the xo ethernet port was running at 100mbps waiting for a proper driver to run at 1gbps? even that wouldn't surprise me