Watch AMD's New Horizon Livestream Here

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Ah that would make sense - Hope so, I hate it when people call me BIAS, IchimA?

2. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    Don't worry about it, Hilbert. ;) I too think it was a typo, though. If not then I remember the times when you were critical towards both NV and AMD.

I think you also mentioned a while back that Intel needs stronger competition. You think this might be it?

3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Zen looked great.

BF1 running on Titan X and Vega demo was cringe worthy.

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Intel could use an ass kicking really, they are dominating the market with way too high prices and releasing processor of the same class over and over again. Honestly speaking as press in the Netherlands, they got arrogant. I hope RYZEN will shift that balance, but I can only truly comment about that once we have the samples in house, the product tested and the reviews written. But what I have seen last week, looked really good.

5. stdavidchen

stdavidchen Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    Zen looks awesome. Still a bit concern about VEGA. Isnt titan xp + bf1 at 4k can reach somehow 80+ fps. I would hope VEGA reach similar performance of titan xp? Or this is too stretch goal for VEGA?

6. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    GMT is not always UTC :) They have DST.

And mainland Europe, as well as Asia, uses 24-hour format. For european it's a real headache to read those ams and pms :)

7. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    That's truly needed. Let's hope the price of this thing will not match Intel's equivalent. It'll be a factor too. There must be an incentive to switch brands.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

Well she could have picked better level, guess it was that live stream pressure :D

Or it was on purpose just a tease as in Vega, space, stars, solar system, game gfx with space theme, 4k,..

9. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    Umm...
    SR3 vs i3
    SR5 vs i5
    SR7 vs i7

Then....
    SR3 needs similar price to i3
    SR5 (6 Core?) Between 150-180:USD
    SR7 Between 350-550 USD?

I Hope buy an Hexa Core model (if exits) i hope see similar frequencies to FX6300
    3.50GHz Base
    3.80GHz Turbo for all Threads
    4.10GHz Turbo "Max" 1 thread per module
    But between 65-80w ;)

10. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    GMT is always GMT it stands for "Greenwich Meridian/Mean Time", it's the standard, alternatively known as UTC known as Universal Time Code.

The reason it's best to state world times in GMT/UTC is that it can be easily converted into whatever local time, you add or subtract your local time from it.

When someone says oh, it's 18:00 EST, people on the otherside of the world would be like "wtf is EST? European Standard Time? Estonian Santa Time? Eastern Standard Time?" and subsequently get confused.

As for daylight savings, in the uk for example, when we enter daylight savings time, we call it BST - British Summer Time, but refer to it as GMT+1 or UTC+1

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Totally agreed but you have to admit that this is all due to lack of competition from AMD. You can't blame Intel for charging whatever they want and not improving generation from generation when there's nobody to push them.

We've seen this all before though, we had Intel dominate in the past, then AMD came out with the K2 processors (remember those?) then Intel dominated again for a while, then the Athlon 64 (Winchester, Venice) then X2 totally dominated the market. Since then, it's been all Intel, unfortunately. I'm really hoping AMD will come up with a strong competitor with this line.

The way I see it, it still won't be cheap. There's no way an 8 core Zen will perform as well as a 6700k and cost a fair chunk less at the same time. No way. But even if it is similar to Intel offerings from the performance/price perspective, it could force Intel's hand and they will suddenly have to pick up their game and either come out with something more meaningful next time round.

I'm really hoping this Zen thing won't flop. And I'm praying for solid motherboards full of features we are seeing on top Intel boards.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  12. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Ryzen looking very good indeed , beating that 6900K $1,100US Dollars cpu on the benchmarks without boost on Ryzen was something really amazing to watch live. Vega gpu it's alive and running well Star Wars at 60+ fps 4K :D , i would it love to see more action on that Vega gpu. I could see me building an all AMD gaming rig on the Horizon !

13. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The TDP difference was crazy.

14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    At 4096 cores it's not going to rival TXP if Polaris 10 clocks are indicative of Vega clocks.

15. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    12.5 Tflop for the passively cooled professional product. That's 1.525MHz for a 4096 shader configuration.

16. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    Meant to say impartial to any party ! may it be Amd, Intel, Nvidia ... ! Sorry about that, I was a little hyped about the presentation.

17. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    Let's not forget that the CPU tested, RYZEN is for enthusiast class, even if she say'd on many occasions that he beats a $1100 CPU, if AMD drops the price only by $300 they will still be the kings and the price will be nice.
    I anyone thinks that AMD will offer a better that a $1100 at half the price, I think they are wrong, and bad for AMD in the long run. To Me AMD needs to have better CPU's at same price or max. 25% lower that the competition.
    You need to understand that one of the big plus an AMD CPU has is the motherboard (you don't need to change it at every new CPU). So the sell few chipset that Intel, offering a (same performance or better) CPU at such a lower price is not the way to make money and to live on the long run. Even when 8350 a ok CPU came on the market the price was not half of an I7.

18. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Or 900MHz on a larger core count. I still think the 4096SP Vega is not the biggest AMD has "ready".

I would not call the motherboard BC a good thing and I feel it hamstrung AMD on the FX line.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  19. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    Exactly i though