AMD VEGA Sample Shows Doom 4K Ultra HD at almost 70 FPS

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 12, 2016.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    If their GPUs of last 3-4 years are anything to go by, you may need to wait 6-12 months for drivers to eke out the extra performance. In their rush to get cards out, AMD never seem get full performance on release day.

2. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    AMD with Vega and Zen is my only hope for something that will stir the still waters of Intel's and Nvidia's crazy pricings. I really hope AMD will out successful products for the good of all of us.

3. Forebode

Forebode Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4G 1530/8k
    Shouldn't it be faster than 1080? The 1080 came out May 27th. Newer "Should" be faster.

Same and cheaper is good as well, but at what savings?

4. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    there is just the RX460 2g, the RX460 4G, the RX480 4g, the RX470 8g and the RX480 4g...

the RX480 8g is strangely at lower price than the NVidia equivalent (and is a good GPU btw)...

AMD charge more than NVidia right now

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Showing the same GPU twice doesn't make the list longer...
    A quick google search showed the RX 460 4GB is roughly the same price as the 1050 2GB ($120).
    The 460 2GB model is around $100.

I don't really know what the 480 4GB competes against, but for argument's sake let's say it's the 1060 6GB. It's roughly $20 cheaper. Against the 1060 3GB, roughly the same price.

From what I recall, the 470 8GB has a similar performance and value to the 480, so I don't see how that could be more expensive.

So no, they aren't charging more.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  7. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    This Video source and leaks originate from v i d e o c a r d z . c o m

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Amd Cant be that stupid to do that, they hurting for market shares and doing such thing wont help them, atlest alot us would hope they not that stupid

9. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    7970 launch price.

10. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Competition is good, and hopefully, these performance metrics are accurate.

This also lends credence to the alleged December 21st release date for the 1080Ti.

11. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well it looks like the Big Vega 10 will be around TitanX pascal performance wish is awesome news , cannot wait for Guru3D review.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    back then they were actual able to compete with nvidia and had alot more of the market, right now not so much

They want back the market shares the lost, they need to compete and do it for less money, other wise what reason do people have to switch if costs the same?

If you gona cost the same for same performance there zero reason to switch.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    There are tons of people, myself included, looking for an alternative to both Intel/Nvidia. I'd gladly switch if they had a product that beat/matched Nvidia's equivalent for the same price.

That being said, the problem that AMD has in my eyes is more so the timing. AMD is stating that VEGA is hitting "1H of 2017" which is what they said about Polaris - they demoed Polaris in January at CES running Battlefront but it didn't actually launch till June. If Vega is similar or lets say a month sooner, May - I'd have my 1080 for an entire year before the AMD equivalent launches. Even if it is cheaper - how much is that worth for an entire year of performance? That's not to mention that Nvidia's Volta is shipping in at least two forms (Xavier/HPC) by the end of 2017.

I think the performance here is excellent given the constraints on the system - I think AMD will nail the price because they basically always do. I'm just worried about the timing. If they can get it out in the next couple months - probably going to do damage - but if its like Polaris and doesn't launch till May/June, I feel like it might be too late. Especially if Nvidia is launching the Ti at CES.

Either way I might just sidegrade anyway. Nvidia's drivers have been really iffy for me lately and AMD's are looking better and better with each release. Tired of the stupid legacy control panel and the 10 seconds it takes to change basic settings.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I certainly wont switch brands if the cost is the same and for same performance, and I pretty sure alot people wouldnt either. and brand loyalty wont be enough to make it worth it or make up grounds on market share. comptetion means nothing to me if both are offering same pefromance for same cost which comes back it not worth the time or effort to switch.

Only company I seen that can do it off loyalty is Nintendo. And AMD has alot stigmta to over come compared to nintendo

15. EdInk

EdInk Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 (H20)
    Finally, something to driver my 3440x1440 freesync monitor with no compromises..GTX1070 just doesn't cut it with that resolution, GTX1080 justs seems overpriced.

16. EdInk

EdInk Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 (H20)
    That a single slot card?

17. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Over half a year after the 1080 (well who knows when it actually comes out for real), it better be, otherwise Vega would be another overhyped failure. At this timeframe just matching a 1080 isn't enough anymore.
    Without a true high-end top-dog card, AMD will always keep running after NVIDIA.

Not to forget that NVIDIA has the 1080Ti up their sleeve though.

A similar comparison can be drawn for Zen. Lets hope its at least close to what people hype it up to be.

If only to present competition and keep progress going forward and prices in check.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  18. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    For various reasons, there is no way that the 1080Ti will be faster than the Pascal Titan X. Vega will probably be a better "long term" card, and everything depends on the price/performance ratio.

The only good sample we have from AMD is that currently all of its offerings are looking like they are the best for their respective segments.

19. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Inbetween GTX1070 and GTX1080 is my prediction.

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Now let's wait and see how much this costs compared to the 1080. Let's not forget it should be a lot cheaper because Nvidia are a greedy company, right? :p