Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 16.12.1 Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by mtrai, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Short answer: no-one should care about a behaviour which is not supported by DXGI (at least it is not supported in the OpenGl way).

Long answer: trying to hook 3rd party applications like games to alter the frame presentation behaviour is a lost battle. It may works with some games, but not with all. DXGI in every iteration added more controls to control the frame queue. Trying to add "triple buffering" for all DirectX application is a waste of time and money for all IHVs.

A lil DXGI swap chain hystory may help:
    - DXGI 1 (Vista): remapps of Direct3D 9 swap chain under bitblt only.
    - DXGI 1.1 (7, Vista with platform Update): no swap chain changes
    - DXGI 1.2 (8): reintroduction of the flip model.
    - DXGI 1.3 (8.1): lower-latency swap chain presentation (ie: control how much frames you can wait before a new draw).
    - DXGI 1.4 (10): finer control of the flip model for Direct3D 12 (which allows advanced techniques like Intel showcase does).
    - DXGI 1.5 (10 THS2): variable refresh rate displays (freesync and gysinc in OS support), unleashed frame-rate for borderless window.

As you can see every DXGI iteration added more control to the swap-chain.
    With DXGI 1.3 and DXGI 1.4 you can obtain similar result then OpenGL triple buffering but with finer control compared to the traditional solution. Unfortunately Windows 7 was never kernel updated, so those solutions are not possible under Windows 7. However, a lot of AAA games use quite always some advanced frame control techniques to keep the game-play as smooth as possible with the lowest latency.
    Traditional triple buffering is dead and was never under Direct3D, full-stop.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  2. needlesnout

needlesnout Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD 77xx
    For now, you should still have a quick menu thingy to get there if you right-click the desktop.

3. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    I didn't test the performance just yet, altough, I decided to test the Relive software, since I own a Youtube channel, for me I give to much importance to the recording tools, wish I could afford a HW capture, so Software is the only option I have.

So I decided to try the Relive, and for me the performance impact is very very small, as well as the framerate/frametime for me is very consistent comparing to the other solutions.
    Locking out the framerate to the recorder framerate really gives us a very consistent video when the framerate don't fluctuate.
    Image quality is good enough, and file sizes are small.

Now there comes the main problem for me and all the GCN 1.0.
    It is well recognized that GCN 1.0 UVD engine can't really sustain 1080/60 recording 100% of the time, and that is normal that it might drop sometimes, depending on the GPU Load.
    Other software solutions apart from OBS, do record at 60FPS, and when the UVD gets on it's knees and the framerate drops, it can drop to 50/44FPS, whatever, but the target file after recordings stays at 60FPS as intended leaving the 60FPS sequences of the video, on 60FPS and the 44FPS at well, 44FPS.

With the OBS using the plugin or the Relive.
    In 10 minutes recording at 60FPS, if the UVD drops 10 seconds to 44FPS, the target file that I had set to 60FPS, will be at 44FPS.
    Which means that all the sequences that I did ran at 60FPS will be stored in a file at 44FPS.
    That completelly pisses me off!

About the driver itself, didn't tried out the performance yet, but I am already facing my first problem with it.
    The Radeon Settings don't load automatically on Windows Boot, I did removed it with DDU after discovering the bug, and re-install it, but didn't fix it.
    Already report it all my problems and suggestions on AMD Forum & AMD Report Page.

Cheers

4. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    Check your fan speed. For me it seems to be downclocking the core first, instead of increasing fan, when the temperature gets towards target. The fan does eventually start to ramp up. And stays there even when idle lol

It comes down verrrrrry slowly after that.

5. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    My GPU dont even pass 60C at this point...16.12.1 works great for MY machine.

Also i dont use 3rd party programs at all, all stock.

*Suddenly people voting for triple buffering? lol...

6. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    I would preffer to see adaptive vsync solution on the voting :p

7. miiksu

miiksu Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 Nano
    Not my cup of coffee. Performance was good but lagging features that I need so dropped it. One think I need is brightness control. I have tried some other tools and they messed colors. So this was simple and working. Hopeful next release brings it back.

8. Rambo

Rambo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT
  9. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    I don't understand why they think this is a feature that people actually want.

10. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    Incorrect.. Chill is off by default, but clocks are ALL over the place..

11. galbalazs87

galbalazs87 Guest

I've updated to ReLive driver, but on my laptop actually nothing has changed. o_O I don't have any of those new features?! Or AMD forgot about notebooks completely?
    [​IMG]

12. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    Probably those features are not yet, for the laptops.
    Unfortunaly this is a problem for both sides.
    I own too a nvidia GPU on my laptop, and same thing, happens, I don't have adaptive vsync, or shadowplay, even when I had shadowplay before my GPU was discontinued for shadowplay support by them, it was unable to record the desktop, only the game itself on fullscreen contrary to the desktops that were able to record borderless or anything.

Maybe they add some of the features for laptop a little bit later.
    Cheers

13. James D

James D Member

GPU:
    GeForce 650m @1124MHz
    I can't...
    ... but I can mark a non-invisible one for you :stewpid:
    [​IMG]
    Did you see a button Install Relive after driver and Settings were installed? Left bottom corner.

14. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    check the clocks from new gpu-z not afterburner.

and have u enable that unified or whatever its called on afterburner?

my clocks are stable.

15. aernouts

aernouts Active Member

Hello all,

Not posting much here.. but i kinda try to keep up with things.

I/we all seem to have this *problem*.

the way i solved is like this.

1. uninstall Relive drivers (DDU for me)
    2. reinstall 16.11.4.(5)
    3. update only Graphics driver (Relive 16.12.1) from device manager (englisch is not my native language)
    4. Reboot

And everything is back to normal (startup with windows etc,)
    Ofcourse you dont have the *relive* thing but does not matter to me :nerd:

16. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    So Christmas came early for me I guess...my PowerColor R9 290 was sent off for RMA and today FedEx delivered me a Shiny new Powercolor RX 480 Red Devil 8GBD5-3DH/OC 8GB GPU.

Now I already had an R9 390 in my PC from a previous RMA with them on a different card.

I do have to say the issues I seemed to have with the R9 390 with the ReLive drivers seem gone with the RX 480.

Not even sure how to over clock on the RX 480 or what needs to be looked at lol...so different then the Hawaii cards I am used to.

17. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    Ah sorry, thought you were saying you were throttling.

Mine is throttling. Say if I set a temp target of 60C, it'll get the 59C with the fan completely off then clock the core down. It'll then gradually raise the fan speed and the core clock starts to slowly rise again.

EDIT: Setting target to 75C seems fine, doesn't downclock and fan max's out at a reasonable 50%. This is with Furmark so higher temps are expected.

When gaming with afterburner I never hit 60C with fan on 40%, so that's why I set it to that. Forgot to factor in the extra heat from Furmark lol

18. Keff91

Keff91 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro R9 390
    Seem like the Chill got issue on my R9 390.
    I have enabled Chill in Global setting, so previously I can monitor Chill in one of my game that able to use Chill like Overwatch.

But today I check my Overwatch game profile again, the Chill is missing in Wattman.

To enable chill I have to click F11 in game (I can hear the sound by pressing F11)
    But I can't adjust the Chill FPS on driver.

One more problem, I notice the game is slower when chill is enabled.

19. BoMbY

BoMbY Guest

GPU:
    Fury X
    That's because you are not reading, before you answer. I'm talking about the new Installer, and not Radeon Settings ...

20. James D

James D Member

GPU:
    GeForce 650m @1124MHz
    Don't protect your own stupidity with lame excuses. Installed package already contain full list of languages so you could change it to whatever it offers. And if you have whole Operating System of Language X then you surely shouldn't complain about installer's language X and set it to desired later. Period.