Will nvidia should give us "magic driver" aka amd crimson ect?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by peppercute, Dec 8, 2016.

1. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I don't think that it happens _all the time_, maybe once on first start each day or something. But again, the slowness is in applying the chosen settings which is just a number change in the registry usually - why scan for anything during this?

2. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    There are literally dozens of ways how this can be fixed but the fact is that even without fixing it should work a lot faster.

Graphically yes, from usability standpoint AMD's current CPL is simply awful and is way behind NV's.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  3. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    Crimson greatly lowered the CPU overhead for the driver. That was the "magic" performance boost. Nvidia's drivers already had low CPU overhead and don't have as big a room for improvement.

4. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    All i can say, after the impression of new features , one of the rig is going to get amd. 470 or 480. Person is not so fussy about the best what i can get performance but bang for the buck. If nvidia won't step up soon, more users going to switch sides. Good thing is, won't be my problem to coop with it.

All i do is, choose the right hw to the needs of the user.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016

5. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Never mind.

6. jaju123

jaju123 Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290 Crossfire
    CCC doesn't exist since crimson drivers... You're a bit behind the times mate. The new AMD interface is way less laggy than the Nvidia control panel TBH. I have a gtx 1080.

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yes that's why and only by 1st start on fresh windows boot.

But I noticed lately it does it really quick, not 5-10sec anymore., so dunno, for me its "fixed".

Anyway, I would really like another r337 driver boost too, hopefully R380 does it.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  8. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    Please no, essential configuration options for my graphics card should not be tied into some application that requires an account to use and phones home with "telemetry" I can't officially opt out of or choose not to install. The fancy (and of secondary importance!) features of GFE should remain in their own application, since they are not required for the graphics card to perform its primary purpose or for the user to control the manner in which this purpose is performed.

I'd rather have the current control panel which takes a few seconds to load a tab/task rather than be unable to do basic things like create a custom resolution or enable/disable SLI without logging in to some application with some NVIDIA account.

9. OrionCheung

OrionCheung Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8G
    IMHO: The whole Nvidia Control Panel needs a overhaul.
    I agree changing settings takes couple of seconds. Changing any settings in "Manage 3D settings." Always scrolls back up.

10. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I don't doubt that they would if they could.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    They can overhaul control panel, just don't try to force extra stuff in it.

I don't like GFE and I want to set game gfx or driver settings my self - this is what makes it so special :nerd:

12. Visuallyvisible

Visuallyvisible Active Member

GPU:
    I think they posted record profits last quarter. That shouldn't prevent them from further improving on the drivers side of things. Also 1070 was pretty kickass performance for the cost when I purchased it.

I don't install GFE or any other stuff but it's was surprising to see on gaming forums lots of new and old users utilize it so that's a step in the right direction for some.

Feel bad for 770 users with notorious BF1 crashes.

13. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    The current nvidia panel could use some improvements or changes, as at times it could be slow starting up and at first changing the pages in it is slow at first before speeding up.

IF nvidia they do change something I doubt they will but if they do,they should change the layout and group the settings into one tab for the different groups. Such as 3D settings instead of clicking thru them in the list, putting them all in one tab would speed it up, same with display in the list and all of it sub settings, etc.

Also adding useful settings such as being able to overclock your GPU within the nvidia panel, instead of always reaching for an 3rd party overclocking tool, while at the same time having the voltage and profile settings too. Oh while they at it, Let you completely disable the HDMI audio without having to disable it in the sound panel.

While they are at it, make GFE when using share function stop popping up within the game telling you that it's ready which can cause some games to crash. As I use the share heavy when I share local co-op games with friends, that way I Don't have to turn it off when i not using it and back on to do it. Plus they need to get rid of that 1 hour limit with it as well.

14. Visuallyvisible

Visuallyvisible Active Member

GPU:
    I choose not to install HDMI audio portion of the drivers. Does that still not prevent it from being installed?

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Not gona happen it part of the hw, Which why even if you dont installed nvidia audio drivers Windows will install it own drivers for it.

16. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    A friend of mine broke 2m draw calls in DX11ST with a 280x, so I guess we're almost at parity at this point. The vsync options and triple buffering are the only things I'm really still jealous about.

17. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    can they detect faulty VGA, DVI or DP?

18. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    There is a feature like that on the release, I don't know if it works for ask m all types of cables.

19. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Where is the VP9 Hardware Decoding support ?? why it takes so long as we have already all the resolutions in the world but we need 256 CPU core to run because our 1000$ gpu doesn't even support it ??

20. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Big thing about r337 was shader cache. One thing introduced in Crimson drivers was shader cache.

So Crimson "magic" was already done by NV in r337. Also r337 had some drawcall improvements so there's not much left for NV to do driverwise.

More generally I'd also like for a new UI for NV CPL, it's very outdated and the long wait for applying settings is a nuisance.
    This delay also seems to vary between some driver versions (branches?).

However it's more important that drivers work, the UI is a secondary aspect.
    I returned to NV from AMD half a year or so ago and it was so convenient you could force vsync from CPL for example.

Needed RadeonPro for that with AMD and DX games.