Recommend SSD <150$ / 130£ 400GB+

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Sneakers, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Right looking to buy another new SSD.

I don't really need anything super fast since im still using a X58 mobo with a useless sata 3 chip so I am stuck with sata 2 anyway.

What I want is:

Reliability

Size

snappiness

low price

5+ year warranty

I am leaning towards OCZ/Toshiba Trion 150, however I have heard mixed reviews on this SSD.

Feels like, "read 10 reviews get 10 different recommendations"

What do you guys recommend?

2. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
  3. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Well for that price you can get only TLC, and then it doesn't really matter much. Take something with better warranty.

Samsung 850EVO is TLC, but using V-NAND tech that prolong its life and overall faster performance comparing to other TLC SSDs. And with 5 year warranty, its hard to ask for something better. It might be $30 over your budget, but try to catch it on sale.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/samsung-850-evo-ssd-review,1.html

If no luck, try 750EVO. It's slower (like any other TLC SSD), little bit less reliable, but comes with 3 year warranty and much cheaper.

4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    You can look at the SanDisk Ultra II too for that price. I picked up a 960GB version during an Amazon sale for $160 and it gets pretty good speeds. Just a tad slower than my Samsungs

5. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Wow 960GB for $160....That is a great deal right there^

6. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I think normal price on Amazon is $220 so its still a pretty good deal on them.

7. Han2K

Han2K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 GX
    I would get the 850 EVO, with its TLC V-NANDs smokes the rest of mainstream Sata3 SSDs.

8. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    I can get the 850 EVO 500 gb for 210 dollars, not sure its really worth that?

The speed is not the biggest culprit for me, since I will be using sata 2 anyway, wich has what 250/250Mbs limits(?).

I see that TLC is a cheaper less reliable tech then MLC but basically I want a main OS disc that can cope with the new large games these days.

Atm I got 150gb A-DATA ssd that is too small for me now. I constantly have to drop x86 folders onto a spinner to make room for more installations.

Reliability is a big thing for me, though I don't want any wierd behaviour comming off the OS disc.

The Toshiba controller (OCZ) Trion 150 I can get for 130 dollars, big difference compared to the 850 EVO if you ask me.

But the question is the reliability of this TLC ssd? I am sure it will cap out SATA 2 speeds both up and down, so thats not really a big deal for me.