Intel Core i7-7700K vs Core i7-6700K Benchmarks on Z270 Platform

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 3, 2016.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    A lot of recent games support 4+ cores, hence the semi-Bulldozer renaissance.

2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Meh my 2500/2600k's will last until Zen. 6 years with these cpu's and the new ones aren't faster stock than my overclocked ones. SMH

3. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    definitely no upgrade from 60xx series

but for people buying new PC, kabylake isnt bad choice
    DDR3 is EOL... DDR4 is current standard, while might not hard to find DDR3 ram for now, but i personally stay away with EOL product

and maybe for movie/netflix mania, i read "currently" its the kabylake the only one supported for decoding 4k 10-bit HEVC
    not sure why no gpu (nvidia/amd) listed as compatible yet (based from what i read few weeks ago)

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    It's an artificial limitation.

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well until Coffee Lake is release around 2019 there won't be a bump in performance on Intel cpus , bring me the Zen i say ....

6. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Intel's engineers are DEFINITELY in a bad need of A Coffee Brake, never mind the lakes... Meanwhile, I am going to closely watch the developments related to Zen CPU...

7. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    lolwut? So it's actually 0.02% worse than the 6700K? Thanks for pointing that out, wow...just wow Intel.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    We've known Kabylake isn't bringing IPC gains since March. So I'm not sure why people in all these Kabylake threads act surprised.

9. TurboMan

TurboMan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW 3
    PASS !! The 6700K is gonna be my CPU for the life of Kaby lake 7700K. Looks like we going to have to wait for the next gen.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  10. Windbane

Windbane Guest

Worth upgrading to 7700K?

If there is no real difference between the two procs, then would it be worth upgrading to the 7700k from my 3770k? Or should I just get the 6700k? Would the newer chipset (Z270) be more future proof? ie will the Z270 be compatible with intel's next wave of CPU's?

11. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I'm not sure either, I think people just like whining. Everyone on these enthusiasts forums knows KL isn't bringing anything in regard to IPC. They also know that process node reductions are getting very hard now. Seems like all the low hanging fruit has been plucked, now we need something paradigm shifting before we see significant increases in performance.

12. VENGEANCE

VENGEANCE Guest

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 1070 HOF @2164
    ****kk U INTEL.......People u are being milked...dont waist yore money on intel......this is like the biggest scam ever from intel....

13. trocio2

trocio2 Guest

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
    Even people who like Intel have hopes in AMD now. This milking is just not acceptable.

14. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    But I still don't know what to say about this:
    Intel seems to don't even care about AMD ZEN, and this may be because either AMD will not deliver in terms of performance or they will begin mass production/ distribution of the new ZEN 8C/16T or 4C/8T in late 2017. When they will be close to next gen of processors.
    Will wait and see

15. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I kinda feel the same way but you gotta remember the golden-rule.....He who has the gold makes the rules :). Intel is doing what any other company would do when there is no competition, they can milk it, Drain it, whatever they like lol but they will still sell regardless!

Yeah alot of us are cheering for Amd this time around. :) Hell if they wanted to they can put the name (intel) on toilet-paper and the shyat would sell like crazy, Thats what happens when your top-dog! Also they are getting a little lazy in my opinion if Amd matches them this time around with Zen we could have some fun times coming up..... That might wake there ass up a little haha.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    clock for clock it same, turbo vs turbo it not really any better, people that OC could get that performance on 6700k that and intel want more then 100$ more for the 7700k.

With that saying IF i didnt get 6700k 6 months ago I would got this instead, but only after the price was no longer be gauged by both intel and retailers

17. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    fail and its not even funny

18. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I don't think we know yet if Coffee Lake (possibly 2+ years away?) will support socket 1151 or not.

As far as features go I would save the money and get an i7 6700K. The OC potential is pretty much the same, and when at the same clocks performance is identical. The main reason to upgrade from in i7 3770K is NVME (M.2 SSDs) and more USB 3 ports, and the i7 6770K has all of those options.

19. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Vengeance/Trocio2
    And why wouldn't they.
    What business would NOT charge more, if they're the performance "leader"?

Ppl, please stop the "whining" about intel/nv charging too much, since no one put a gun to your head and forced you to buy their product.

I just hope amd charges +500 for the 8/16 cpu, just to see some ppl shut up (about cpu prices...(sarcasm mode: off)

@windbane
    For the price of a 6700 u can get a 5820k, and since most newer games now run on 6-8 cores, i would still wait to see what zen can offer (and most likely cheaper)..

20. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    This just makes me want to upgrade to Zen more.

Even if the performance is the same as Intel's latest I'll be going Zen...