Update: Netflix 4K streaming on a Windows 10 PC Tested with GPUs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. entr0cks

entr0cks Member Guru

GPU:
    GV-N660OC-2GD
    If (and that's a big if) it has anything to do with the protection technology, it's another case of creating pointless software that only gets in the way for everyone - most of all the regular user/consumer.
    If someone wants to copy and distribute something, they will succeed in doing so.
    Easy, it's only "protected" if it's made useless - for example: the end user can't see it.
    Possible to record the screen and outgoing audio in many ways.
    At least the guys coming up with these kind of things get experience and a salary, but that's the only upside I can see to this.

3. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    And the content/Production companies wonder why so many people copy from Streaming websites and torrent sites.

I tried Amazon and Netflix, and couldn't last more than a day.
    Unfortunately, having only a 2Mbit line, i'm only allowed just under VHS quality, which looks extremely sh*t.

I am waiting for one of the dense b'stards that make up the distribution comapnies, to realise that a popcorntime type app, would not only alleviate all their bandwidth issues, but allow the people they want to sell to, to actually consume what they want.!

I don't exactly live in the sticks, its just not well served, by any provider. 5Km+ of copper.

Our tiny holiday village in Crete (which is much more remote than home here) has 12Mbit to the home, ffs. 6x what I have in outskirts of Paris.

So, back on topic : Netflix and Amazon are following the usual model, where all consumers are evil, especially those that pay for the right to be shafted.
    "All pirating must be evil, look, we are allowing you to watch our content, with only a few restrictions : Country, language, quality, hardware,....nothing too difficult or resrictive mind you".

4. Hefny

Hefny Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 280 GAMING 3G
    Cheap Wintel stunt, pushing Win10 Kaby Lake :puke2:

5. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    The ways to stream Netflix currently:

Web browser.
    Built-in TV app.
    Roku. (AppleTV, etc)
    Tablet/phone.

Nearly ALL new 4k sets already have built in Netflix/app functionality. (find me one that doesn't)

So yeah, I can see why people whine about this. We're clearly getting screwed over.

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    hehe almost reminds me of how I can't even play Sin City 2 in normal HD because my 10 year old 1080p TV doesn't support the latest HDCP :rolleyes:

7. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It is amazing that the only way to have real HD movies with lossless audio is to buy the Blu-ray or piracy... If you want to stream content, you're stuck with a cheap 5Gb worth of streaming that isn't even enough for video, let alone audio. Modern streaming is basically a glorified dvd quality content with nasty dolby digital 5.1@335Kb or 650Kb... 6 discreet channels sharing such low bandwidth... The video may be 720p or 1080p but resolution is not everything, for example, Blu-ray quality (not 4k bluray) is much nicer than 4k streaming...

8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    That Gilmore Girls though.

9. chronek

chronek Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 980 GTX 4GB gddr5
    they say Nvidia and Amd cards not support 4k netflix streaming... Wrong! Netflix not support Nvidia and Amd cards (intentionally)... Just do not use netflix.

10. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Did you read the article ?

11. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I have just signed up to Sky TV I am getting a free lg 43in 4k TV looks like I will have a new monitor for games and netflix

12. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    And people wonder why I don't have Netflix... I don't have a 4k thing at all, but this is just more stupid and poorly designed ideas.

13. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    This is nothing more than a publicity stunt for both Intel and Microsoft. The Edge browser fine but cpus give me a break. If the Xbox One S can stream Netflix 4K then all this copy cpu crud was nothing but fodder. Like I stated in an earlier thread, if it was true than Microsoft created an entry in the Vault of Fail thread because the Xbox One S would not have been able to do what they advertised.

14. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    Unless you illegally torrent, Netflix is the only way to get some of the best shows on TV right now. This is why they have invested billions of dollars into new programming. The solution for being unhappy with one aspect of a service should not always be to stop using that service.

However the amount of people using PCs with a 4K TV to watch Netflix is pretty small. I really don't see this being a big deal to most people so I doubt Netflix will change their stance.

15. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    That's an issue with your government. You can't expect proper streaming at 2Mbit, and no studio would ever license anything if the providers like Amazon or Netflix allowed local storage.

16. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Yup. :D

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The entire chain has to be PlayReady 3.0 complaint - that's required by the MPAA, although obviously Netflix's original content benefits from it. Nvidia said that Pascal is Playready 3 complaint and that they are working with Netflix for 4K support.

18. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I can't say that arbitrary restrictions have ever stopped me from seeing what I want, when and however I want :p

19. sluflyer06

sluflyer06 Guest

GPU:
    SLI Gigabyte 980Ti G1's
    "Only allowed"...learn to not be ignorant. Netflix isn't locking you out of anything, you simply don't have the bandwidth to support a good bitrate stream.

20. Domingo

Domingo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 (Gigabyte)
    Why not update the Windows 10 app to handle this? When you watch videos in Edge it even suggests you use the app instead.