AMD ZEN 8-core Summit Ridge To launch January 17th 2017

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Dellers

Dellers Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti Trio
    I really hope pricing and performance will be good, and the same when it comes to the upcoming graphics cards. With the extremely expensive dollar even before the interest rates have started to go up computer parts have become way too expensive, especially with Intel and nVidia's dominance. Effectively it's now getting close to twice the price to get twice the performance, which isn't really a good deal IMO. Competition is needed right now.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I'm sure AMD realises that. I mean, it might be a greenhorn company that has only been in business for measly 47 years, while Intel is already a venerable company of a rich history of 48 years, but I'm sure AMD has learned a thing or two, especially from their recent problems.

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    From another thread

Looks like there will be 6core too and two 8core variants, one highly binned BE for ~ 500$ other normal edition for ~ 350$.

4. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    ^^^ The non BE CPU @ $350 would still have an unlocked multiplier and be OC worthy, just not binned specifically for it? OR is that chart indicating that only the BE version is OC capable?

5. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Tbh what AMD needs is install base not insane profits ^^

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yes both unlocked, normal I guess up to 4.2-4.3Ghz on avg, better one, well from what I saw how current ES do atm, I would say up to 4.5-4.7Ghz.
    They used LN2 @ 5Ghz on early sample that does 3.8GHz with errata on or 4.2ghz with errata off (air).

7. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    Yeah, that's what bothering me as well as I have usually little too specific requirements that even most intel boards does not fulfill.

8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    These are Zen clocks you are talking about here?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  9. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I hope glofo's process is better for CPU's than it has been on their GPU's for overclocking.

10. ht_addict

ht_addict Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Vega64(CF)
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but games reviewed on this site are showing marginal difference in gaming performance between a FX8370 and 5960X. So why is everyone going on about performance. All you doing is benching? if a $200-300 CPU offers performance of a $500 CPU that's a win/win in my books. On top of that the motherboards will be a fraction of the cost of Intel.

11. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I would be more then pleased with a 4+Ghz CPU.... I'm always conservative with voltages anyways, so I'd never be trying to break any records.

12. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    In some games the differences can be huge. These might be RTS, some MMORPGS, and/or others that don't scale too well past 2-4 threads.

Performance is also key to most things outside of gaming. Notable CAD, image/video editing, 3D modeling and rendering, and many more (the extremely large spectrum of server computing). In these non-gaming usages, AMD has been terrible for a very long time due to low IPC, high power consumption, and high heat production.

The key metric here isn't just performance. It is performance/watt. AMD needs revenue/profits and not a user base. User base != money, which AMD needs more of to continue costly R&D.

The cost of a chip is always peanuts compared to the R&D. To most people commenting on the BOM of a chip, seriously either go work at one of the companies or do some additional research, the "real" price is usually several times higher. Of course there is a profit margin, but it usually isn't more than 2X-2.5X of the actual cost. (You also have to factor in support, including kernel upgrades and the inevitable bug fixing, which is VERY costly).

For Zen, the pricing will should generally reflect the performance of the closest competitor product but at around 70-80% the price. AMD isn't going to sell you a $300 CPU that can compete with Intel's $1000+ CPUs, that's just shooting both themselves and the market down.

13. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    I just hope that the first version of AMD ZEN and motherboards for it will come with few squirts to be fixed on the next version (after they postponed the release so much time)!
    Every time a new hardware comes to play, there is a risk of problems.
    I don't think that will buy AMD ZEN in the first 6 months, until i know is all ok.
    I think that at best AMD will sell they'r CPU at 10-20$ lover as Intel (for same performance). If the price is to low, then it will flood the market with new CPU, but it will be a problem for the next version if the difference in performance will be not be that big. And there is another problem.
    I don't think that they want to improve the PC (desktop gaming) segment that much because they will leave console market to far behind. AMD makes good money from consoles were at the moment they are kings (why the risk on PC). AMD only wants to keep up with Intel on this market.
    Anyway hope I'm wrong and we will get a monster at a better price that Intel.

14. pokyeah88

pokyeah88 Member

GPU:
    strix gtx 1070
    i got 20-40 fps on wow WoD (at that time)@ 1080p with an a10 5800k@4.4ghz, using rebranded 7850 ( the r7 265) to constant 60fps after changing to an intel offering. ( note : before i decided to upgrade to 390).

15. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Until we see real benchmarks and proper reviews nothing is written on stone , we can guesstimate more or less the performance based on rumors and leaks. Until then take all the information with a tea spoon of salt ( Or a Dumpster Truck of it :D )

16. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Indeed. I'd hate to see them meet their launch and have competitive CPUs only to get sullied by no decent motherboards being available.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  17. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Keep in mind too, Intel has ddr4 support and other things such as full nvme support, and even proper USB 3.1 controllers. For applications that take advantage of high pref ram and USB transfer speeds, that's someth Jog you cannot get with AMD currently. There's also Thunderbolt, which all of these are mainly used for professional tools mind you.

18. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Amd doesn't get to set the price on the zen 8/16 I will tell you why... Intel at the same level which is a 5960x or 6900 is $1000 dollars! If they wanna take market share from intel yes they will have to price it at $300-$350 usd, I don't think anyone else in there right mind would pay more then that for a amd CPU. If they price em higher oh we'll it's just gonna sit on the shelfs and nobody will buy them. Just remember what I said you can quote me on when they launch.... $ 500 dollars and zen is a complete waste of time! Back to intel for me and Iam sure a lot of other power users as well.

19. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Companies going only after profit margins fail. Look at Apple in desktop back in the day, Matrox etc.

When you stop being relevant, nothing else really matters. A big user base is vital for the software optimizations alone.

20. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Well this is AMD we are talking about and as much as I want to believe it, I'll believe it when I see it. As a gamer it would be nice to have options when upgrading but I just recently bought this 6600k so hopefully this won't render my CPU obsolete just yet.