NVIDIA compatibility bits master thread and IQ guide

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by GuruKnight, Sep 9, 2014.

1. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    @whismerhill

I see, could you please try "0x00001005" for SGSSAA with the override option set and ingame MSAA enabled?
    Never tested this game myself since I don't own it, but there are rare occasions where ingame MSAA has to remain enabled even with driver forced AA.
    Alternatively you could try "0x000010C5" or "0x000010C1" with ingame MSAA disabled.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  2. whismerhill

whismerhill Guest

GPU:
    RTX2070 8GB
    note for these test I'll use 8x SGSSAA (e.g. settings : 8xQ & 8xSGS)

0x00001005 might be working if ingame AA is enabled I am not sure (& it's set to override), road textures seems to shimmer less, so I'd think it works.
    it's very difficult to reproduce the angles necessary to show aliasing imho.
    there's traffic, weather, day/night cycle that change each game load and the game always makes you come back straight along a road too.
    so maybe you're right and 1005 requires AA enabled in game to work. My mistake thinking this did nothing earlier.

0x000010c5 with ingame AA disabled => definitely works, need to play more with it enabled. road textures seem smoother even than previous 1005 option.

0x000010c1 with ingame AA disabled => seems to have the same result as 10c5, atleast as far as I can see.

notes: 10c5 & 10c1 seem to not produce the "lines" pointed out in one of my earlier post.

screenshots time :
    in game 8x AA only
    0x00001005 with ingame AA
    0x00001005 without ingame AA
    0x000010C5 without ingame AA
    0x000010C1 without ingame AA

3. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Thank you very much for these screenshot comparisons, this is exactly the type of posts I like to see.
    Good work :)

Judging from these, ingame MSAA combined with MSAA+SGSSAA forced using "0x00001005 is clearly the overall best solution.
    "0x000010C5" seems to do also, however "0x000010C1" produces quite obvious blurring issues.
    For example look at the distant road sign.

I have now added a note in the spreadsheet about, that ingame MSAA must be kept enabled when forcing SGSSAA using "0x00001005" in Test Drive Unlimited 2.
    Your post is used under the "Tweak guide" category as a third reference for the game.

4. whismerhill

whismerhill Guest

GPU:
    RTX2070 8GB
    and that's exactly why I said I'm no pro on the AA scene I can't see what you see from my own screenshots :banana: (might be my eyes, glasses or screen or just my judgment ;) )

at least I'm glad I could help and you also helped me out in the process to refine my own settings so it's a win-win situation I'd say :nerd:

5. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    We could also add "0x000010C5" to the spreadsheet for TDU 2 with ingame MSAA disabled?
    This will leave people with two SGSSAA alternatives for the game.
    Are there any differences in FPS, VRAM usage and general AA quality in motion compared to "0x00001005" with ingame MSAA enabled?

I will leave the decision up to you :)

6. whismerhill

whismerhill Guest

GPU:
    RTX2070 8GB
    rgntudjuuuuuuu just lost my post & I'm completely exhausted.

so I found this while testing :
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/whispershill/screenshots/

just look the last 4 screenshots, it should be self explanatory thanks.
    I'll edit if needed tomorrow.

sorry.

edit:
    1005 shadow issue 4x SGSSAA with ingame MSAA enabled
    1005 8x SGSSAA with ingame MSAA enabled
    10c5 4x SGSSAA with ingame MSAA disabled

so this is not really visible while driving, however this creates a sort of shimmering effect on tree shadows borders which is noticeable enough that most people should see it

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  7. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Ah I understand.
    So MSAA+SGSSAA forced with "0x000010C5" gives perfect AA quality without those lines going through shadows?
    This is definetively the preferred option over "0x00001005" with ingame MSAA enabled then.

I will change the recommendation to "0x000010C5" with ingame MSAA disabled in the spreadsheet ;)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  8. whismerhill

whismerhill Guest

GPU:
    RTX2070 8GB
    Affirmative,
    in game MSAA was disabled in the 10c5 screenshots. I will edit
    I had it all written out before :s3d:
    I moved since then, but could try to find a similar spot to retake a screenshot with ingame MSAA enabled + "0x000010C5"

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  9. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Here is some SLI information for Watch Dogs 2:
    https://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=11227123&postcount=2434

I have already added this as well as made several other improvements to the spreadsheet and OP.
    As usual all major changes are listed in the changelog.

And again, if you guys discover any shortcomings or other problems please report it here.
    Suggestions for new features or categories are of course also welcome.

10. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex

11. PeskyPotato

PeskyPotato Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 M
    Hello,

I have been looking for the best AA settings for a game I played called 'Alliance of Valiant Arms' (currently marked by Enmasse in my region). It is an Unreal Engine 3 based game, normally used in DX9, although I have been able to force it to use DX10 successfully.

In-game there are options for Anti-Aliasing, ranging from

-None
    -MSAA + FXAA
    -2x MSAA
    -4x MSAA
    -4x MSAA Q2
    -4x MSAA Q3
    -4x MSAA Q4
    -4x MSAA Q5
    -4x MSAA Q6
    -4x MSAA Q7
    -8x MSAA
    -8x MSAA Q2
    -8x MSAA Q3

Inside the Nvidia Inspector, the "Anti-aliasing flag" is set to "Treat override any application setting as application controlled".

I have messed around with it some, trying to use enhance and override both, but I don't really know what to make of it fully. It seems that override can work at times, but it makes some parts of the textures very clear, but creates a jaggedness or "wavy" feeling. Enhancing works well if I stick to 32x CSAA, but I'm not sure if it is much better or much of a difference, and when Enhancing I feel uncertain of how to set the in-game AA. I believe that I must turn on the in-game AA to use enhancing, but I'm unsure if I should select 2x MSAA, or 8xMSAA when doing so, for example.

Any advice?

12. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Normally the best approach with UE3 is to disable any ingame AA settings, whether it being MSAA, FXAA or similar.
    Then go into your NVIDIA Inspector profile for the game in question, and force for example 4xMSAA + 4xSGSSAA with a custom AA profile like "0x080000C1" or "0x080010C1".
    Sometimes it is also necessary to disable certain post processing effects such as motion blur and depth of field to prevent blurring issues in some more recent UE3 titles.
    Keep in mind though, that high quality custom driver AA profiles will ONLY work in DX9 mode.

Here would be an example of how to do this in the original Metro 2033 DX9 mode (8xMSAA + 8xSGSSAA forced):

[​IMG]

Regarding enhancing the ingame MSAA setting, this is normally only necessary if it doesn't go up to 8xMSAA.
    If it only goes up to 4xMSAA for example, then you could enhance that up to 8xMSAA or 32xCSAA using the driver profile.
    Please keep in mind though, that enhancing with CSAA won't provide any IQ benefits over MSAA with Maxwell and Pascal cards, since NVIDIA removed that functionality with the newer GPU generations.

If you really want to enhance the ingame MSAA instead of forcing high quality DX9 AA modes, the only decent option would be to enhance with TrSSAA or SGSSAA.
    In Just Cause 2 that can be done by simply enabling 4xMSAA ingame, and 4xSGSSAA through the driver like this:

[​IMG]

13. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I have now "finished" some maintenance work on the master list spreadsheet.
    In the process I have tried to improve upon many of the game entry descriptions for the various categories.

However in something as massive as this "project", it is always difficult not to overdo it and turn the whole thing into some confusing "wall of text".
    But since I don't play or have extended knowledge of every game in the table, it would be great with some assistance in perfecting this aspect of the thread :)

14. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Just a BIG THANKS for all your work on this, I check it every time I start a new game :)

To that end, a request: There are, I believe, some 'stock' SLI flags to try for Unreal based and Unity based games that one can try if the game is too new for a profile, or too small to ever get one (so many games miss out :/). Adding these standard flags to try to the doc would be helpful.

15. b0uncyfr0

b0uncyfr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gaming XXX 1070
    Hmm so the current situation with Deus Ex Human Revolution DC - is that i cant use SGSSAA with DX 11? I can only use it with DX 9 and somehow force HBAO+ with that? Also with DX9 i loose Tesselation..correct?:nerd:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017

16. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    You are very welcome :)
    I always try to go back and improve descriptions, profiles, reference posts and so on, whether it being for new or older "classic" titles.

Interesting idea about the engine specific SLI profiles.
    But I actually considered this a while ago, and never could find a decent way of implementing it without causing too much confusion.
    I will however rewrite the General information on advanced SLI bits post soon, and perhaps include some more relevant information here instead.

Essentially yes.
    The game only has ingame post AA solutions such as FXAA, MLAA etc.
    These of course can't be "enhanced" with SGSSAA in DX11, since MSAA is needed for that.

2xMSAA -> 2xSGSSAA
    4xMSAA -> 4xSGSSAA
    8xMSAA -> 8xSGSSAA

So your only option for real hardware based AA would be DX9 mode.
    The necessary AA and HBAO+ bits can be found in the spreadsheet.
    You might also want to take a look at this excellent guide written by Koroush Ghazi:
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution Tweak Guide (DirectX 11 & Anti-Aliasing)

17. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
  18. Simplex

Simplex Guest

GPU:
    MSI 2080Ti
    Is it possible to download a local copy of the master list? Google docs says "The owner has disabled options to download, print, or copy for commenters and viewers on this file." - it's not even possilble to copy the values to paste into nvidia inspector?

19. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I was simply experimenting with some new sharing settings in Google drive.
    The spreadsheet should be back to normal behavior now with regards to downloading and "copy-pasting".

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  20. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Added a method of setting custom resolutions (DSR) for Outlast under the "OGSSAA and post process AA" category in the spreadsheet.
    By default it is only possible to set resolutions natively supported by your monitor in this particular UE3 game.
    Perhaps that would also be of interest to the dedicated AA thread here on the forums? :)