AMD to release ZEN based K-model processors for overclocking

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 8, 2016.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I kind of preferred the "Black Edition" moniker actually.

2. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Really? The QX6700 had a significant price hike for being unlocked.

3. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    I think everyone is sick of Intel's tiny incremental improvements at this point, be they Intel or AMD fans.

4. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    The unlocked cpu milking needs to stop I want amd to do well and I think they would do better in sales. And to the guy saying saying there's not a big difference between k and non k that depends where you live where I am it's 50-60$ more to me that's significant.

5. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    The thing is, and it's not being pointed out as much as it needs to be.

The K-tagged CPU also have higher base clocks and boost clocks. It's not only its ability to be manually overclocked by multiplier.
    You pay for better chips, just as you pay for them when you choose for example a
    GTX 1070 GAMING Z over a GTX 1070 GAMING X.
    Because the manufacturer guarantees you a certain binning quality, thus higher base clock.

You don't pay those 20-50 extra dollars for the "unlocked" feature alone. You pay that those are tested and certified for a higher clock as well. Keep that in mind.

6. VENGEANCE

VENGEANCE Guest

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 1070 HOF @2164
    This is fuc!@#!@#%kin GREAT news!!!!! ..i say..more competition as i was very dissapointed with the 3.15 ghz :banana:

7. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Intel does the same. The k-sku chips are all higher base and boost clocks.

8. cyclone3d

cyclone3d Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 390
    That was back when the only unlocked ones were the X (Extreme) version of the CPUs which were way overpriced.

And that being said, there really was absolutely no point for unlocked CPUs during the days of FSB as you could just get a good board and pump the FSB through the roof and get way better performance than just upping the multiplier.

Maybe for LN2 runs.. but that is about it.

My Q6600 G0 ran at 3.84Ghz on air, which was very, very quick for the time.

9. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    thats exactly what i am saying.
    i didn't include nor exclude any manufacturer in my statement.
    apart from even not knowing how amd is going to do it (as this news is labelled as rumour by HH), since they're not out.
    intel is doing it exactly as i explained.

10. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I can't recall too much complaining of late due to the locked or unlocked model thing. It's kind of established already over the years. There were complaints when people could OC the non-K Slylake models initially through the base clock, but then Intel suddenly forced mobo manufacturers to disable that option. It's one thing to pay extra when you know you get something extra, but it's another thing to have something removed later.

Besides, what's there to complain when we don't know yet even the price and performance? Pretty hasty. You can bet the comments will be ugly if these CPUs totally suck performance wise.

11. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I read somewhere ( dont know how reliable) the source is that Zen will 8/16 Core will be 250 euros! That is aroudn $300 usd- I would gladly fork over 3-bills for a 16 thread cpu. Lets hope this is really true.

If they do something like $500 usd then they just lost the game Iam sorry to say. Needs to be cheeper, Faster, semi future proof ect.....

12. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    yup $500 would be a hype killer.

$300 is also instant buy for me, since my 4790k in my main rig is perfect for another 2 years maybe. singlecore and multicore performance respectively.

but i need to replace my phenom with this zen for my opnsense/asterisk/apache machine which grew over the years...

13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Oh I see I must have misunderstood what you wrote.

Depends. If it's an 8c/16t CPU that can hit 4.2-4.4GHz and is equal in IPC of Haswell then $500 may not kill hype. That basically makes Brodwell-e pointless.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  14. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I'd love to grab a Zen CPU for my second PC (not in my sig) that I'm replacing right now. I just don't have the option of waiting 3-4 more months at this point so I had to get an i7 6700K. :/

15. ChicagoDave

ChicagoDave Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 / EVGA 970
    A big yep!

PCI-E lanes are now used primarily for storage in addition to graphics cards. NVME drives use four PCI-E 3.0 lanes, and they may expand to eight once manufacuturers really start stacking dies. The latest Samsung 960's are pushing 3gb/sec. So between a 16x graphics card and 4x NVME drive, you're already using up 20 lanes. We need more.

16. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    Given that comparable intel CPU currently cost $1700 and require $300 mainboard then I think it would still not be bad price for fastest K model clocked lets say 3.6GHz.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  17. MrAMD

MrAMD Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1080
    AMD, please don't use "K" Just keep it "BE" or "Black Edition" Don't F' it up with Intel modeling coding. Use your brains for once. I will have to go to AMD's office and yell "MORON" to someone in marketing. Its only 20 miles away from me. lol

18. MrAMD

MrAMD Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1080
    I must have skimmed to fast to read this, but you're right.

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Well, AMD will have to pull their finger out or else we'll see intel do this for years to come.

I'm quietly waiting to upgrade my cpu. I hope Zen delivers at least enough to make intel up their game.

20. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Well 50mhz lower then direct competitor I wouldn't say that is bad for engineering sample....