Battlefield 1 stutters

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Virs, Oct 13, 2016.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    So my guess is that since the beta has been flawless for me, I shouldn't be having any issues, right?

2. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Well from looking at the pc performance thread over at NeoGaf, I have noticed that a ton of people that have stutters are running 8 gb of system ram. It seems to be the case here as well. Just a thought?

edit: With a 380, dx12 ran fantastic for me with a bit of stutter here and there but nothing game breaking. With my Fury, Dx12 is unplayable and DX11 is the ultra smooth experience. Just throwing that out there.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  3. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Don't these both have the same amount of VRAM and GCN revision? Which drivers are you using? Are you talking about the same settings?

4. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Same amount of vram, yes. There are 2gb versions of the 380 but I indeed had the 4gb model. On the 380 I ran 1080p ultra settings with dx12 and for the most part could run a constant 60 fps. Dx11 ran about 10 fps less than Dx12. On the fury Dx12 is unplayable at any setting. Right now I have it on ultra, 1080p with 150% (2880x1662)resolution scale and it never drops below 60 fps with Dx11. I started off with reso scale at 100% ultra settings and worked up from there to find the best setting that would not drop below 60 fps.

I have the latest 16.11.2 installed right now, but when I got the Fury I think it was 16.10.2. And I had those installed with the 380's as well. Crossfire did not work at all at the time (and not with dx12 either) so was only running the 1 card.

Hope this helps.

5. CRTFTW

CRTFTW Active Member

GPU:
    radeon 380x X2
    I've been google searching high and low for info on DX12 multi-gpu, or DX12 information in general. Nothing has turned up.

Have any of you guys spotted an official statement from DICE, AMD, or Nvidia on the current buggy state of DX12 in BF1? The stutter is so bad that hardly anybody is using it. I was (perhaps naively) hoping to be running mGPU in DX12 already.

6. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    Almost bug-free? I guess you have not visited the BF1 forums yet? It has major bugs, the main one is the high CPU usage & a list of others. :3eyes:

7. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    The game was coded in DX11 & only supports DX12 as a barebone without any of the DX12 candy coded into BF1. They will need to code from scratch to get DX12 working properly & not by implementing some modules.

You can put side by side gameplay videos of DX11, DX12 & not see any difference in the way they render the game visually.

8. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    No. DX12 has been baked into Frostbite since at least the launch of Battlefront last year. They were even lamenting that they couldn't go DX12 only two and a half years ago.

9. Virs

Virs Guest

GPU:
    R9 390
    And Mantle gave a significant boost, the bigger the map the greater the boost typically was. I personally remember having a 15-20% increase.
    DX12 giving absolutely nothing is really disappointing.

10. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    So after the new update, I thought of giving DX12 another try...

At first it wouldn't even connect to the EA servers for the first 3 tries. Then when it 'connected', the server list was empty. The only way to get it working is ALT + Entering. But trying to join a match, just kicks me back to the menu after trying to load for a while. Also, when quitting, it crashes or gets stuck in an endless trying to quit loop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is it just me? DX11 works fine.

11. jmcc

jmcc Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3060 12GB
    latest game updates just made performance worse on my PC.

12. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT SWFT
    And about everyone elese's.

About 10-15% worse fps, stutters, erratic behavior@same driver release, same settings.

Will give DX11 a try, but EA and both GPU makers need to address this ASAP.

13. fish

fish Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 5700 XT
    Same for me...

14. zixss

zixss Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RX480 8GB
    I don`t understand but why i`m getting a low GPU usage down to 60% and therefore FPS drops down to 39 ? I believe it is something with the game engine but still it`s very frustrating.

15. mortenv

mortenv Member

GPU:
    XFX R9 295x2 / 8 GB plz
    Bottlenecked by CPU? Vram limit?

16. AMcieK

AMcieK Member

GPU:
    XFX R9 290 DD
    My game with this congif is totaly black :E

17. zixss

zixss Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RX480 8GB
    Guys, i can honestly say that i solved my FPS issues - and yes, this is not a placebo effect. I`ve played atleast 10 different maps and rounds and all is so smooth. It`s smoother both on DX11 or DX12, but i prefer DX11. The changes i`ve made are below:

1. Set my RAM timings from 2133Mhz - 39-19-19-19 to 2133- 32-14-14-10 . These are the tightes timings my memory can run without errors.
    2. Set the windows power plan to > High Performance.
    3. Make sure i`ve set FlipQueueSize by RadeonMod every single time i start the computer and once set to value- 0x3100 which equals to 1 > restart the GPU driver to apply the changes. This process is not applicable to NVIDIA- there you can set it through NVIDIA Control Panel - MaxPrerenderedFrames -1.
    3. Remove the line from user.cfg- RenderDevice.RenderAheadLimit and set it to default, which is -1, eg RenderDevice.RenderAheadLimit -1
    4. Set user.cfg gametime.maxvariablefps 74 -my monitor refresh rate is 75hz and i`m using FreeSync.

There are some minor FPS dips to 50 as i remember, but this is a totall difference. So below i`m posting the screenshots. I hope that will help to some of you to increase your gaming experience.

Before[​IMG]Before[​IMG]After[​IMG]After[​IMG]After[​IMG]

18. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT SWFT
    RenderDevice.RenderAheadLimit -1 gave me awful performance (GPU frequency erratic, between 700 and 900MHz).

Setting it @2, gives me the best result (the game needs another patch and a new set of drivers, though).

19. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    Your CPU is much slower than his, so the RenderAheadLimit increase should help you out more, it makes sense.

20. Virs

Virs Guest

GPU:
    R9 390
    Where did you find user.cfg? I actually made a search on my entire PC and the only user.cfg I personally had was for sweetfx on a different game, it doesn't look like I have one for BF1.

In the meantime I've tried writing RenderDevice.RenderAheadLimit -1 in the console instead, but my personal worry is that console settings seem to reset to default every once in a while.