What is considered "Safe" temps to run cpu most of day, every day?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by nateluthje, Nov 1, 2016.

1. nateluthje

nateluthje Guest

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    Hi All,

Come from Aus, obviously. Even in Spring it's getting hot here. Have A/C at around 22 degrees all day. OC'd 6700K to 4.9ghz, but got temps of 90 degrees.

Dropped back to 4.7 @1.34V (with Kraken x61), getting in high 70's when benchmarking, around high 60's (68-69) and low 70's when gaming, which is basically all I do. Are these temps OK? Video cards are not OC'd. So basically is 69-71 degrees C acceptable temps when gaming for hours at a time?

Cheers,

Nate.

P.s. Would get Predator 360 custom water cooling but can't afford the $370 +!

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well imo that is hot.

My 4.7ghz 1.285v 4770k doesnt get that hot while gaming with H90 cooler.. usually i sit between 45 -55c, or by more demanding games/benchmarks up to 60-68c

What thermal paste do you have?

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    71c is fine.

More than that though I personally would avoid.

4. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi Nate

Yours temps at 4.9GHz are way to high,90°C is what I wouldn't run on 24/7,what voltage are you run at 4.9GHz ?

4.7GHz temps are OK,although still bit hotter,but mine old 4790k has been very same or similar when it comes to the temps and have run less voltage and 4.6GHz and that's has been with H100i v2 and I've used Kryonaut TIM and I've run or tried 4.7Ghz my temps has been in 70's too and I've backed back to the 4.6GHz

On yours not sure,what would keep temps under 70's only thing what I would suggest get better thermal paste,Gelid Gc Extreme or Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and play with case airflow which would gain you few C

I would try at least remove unused PCI slots and replace rear fan for 140mm fan,you can try to turn exhaust fan to intake which will bring cold air back to CPU,I would as next try to seal Kraken radiator,you can try play with any cardboard,with this you should be able seal radiator edges

I've tried AIO on mine i7-4790k or 5820k and went back to air cooler and my temps dropped to very reasonable temps

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Around 70C when gaming is ok for Skylake but I would have expected a bit lower.

Check the voltage being applied to the CPU with AI suite, almost everything else I tried only shows VID, not actual volts fed.

Clicking the red triangle on the voltage section shows a few graphs.
    Click the CPU graph and it will expand, allowing you to place the mouse and see the voltages used recently.

6. nateluthje

nateluthje Guest

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    Thanks all for your input. My brother i an IT GURU and he said if it' 85 degrees or beol, should ok all day everyday (I AM looking forward to winter though). Agreed 80 degrees at 4,9 was a bit nuts,

Happy gaming everyone,

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Really high temps will let the CPU last the warranty period, if you arent overclocking.
    If you overclock and especially if you use more voltage, high temps will cause much more harm.
    Your risk.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I think it's a little high. The difference in performance between 4.7 as 4.6 is around 2 percent. If it keeps the system cooler doing so it would make sense to. Also try 4.5 and check the temperatures. Even though it would mean a 4 percent drop in performance you probably won't notice it in games. It would also keep the motherboard features like the chipset and CPU power related stuff 'happy'.

9. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Imo it also depends on your cooling. But general rule of thumb I try to keep it below 70° C for every day use, benchmarks or testing can be a bit higher but I prefer to keep those below 75° C.

That's in summer though, in fall/winter/spring I never even go over 60° C during every day use, only benchmarks succeed at that.

10. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    70 oC

11. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    I stick to 80c tops

12. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    Anything above 70 for continuous operation isn't all that good if you want your system to last more than a few months.

13. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti ssc
    I wouldn't want anything more than 40 degrees at idle and 80 degrees under full load/stress test.

While gaming I wouldn't want it to go above 70 degrees maximum.

14. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    In the 60 C's is fine for gaming, 70 C's in gaming? back it down a a bit, in the 80's & 90's? Only for benchmarking purposes would not do it for a long run obviously.

60 to 70 'C's is acceptable for overclocked cpu such as yours, I wouldn't push it any further unless you go all out custom watercooling and not AIO.

15. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti ssc
    No not 70s, exactly 70. So below that.

16. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

Was reading the first thread, says low 70's.

Question, which thermal paste your using??

This can make a big difference in temps, cause in my situation, I had Arctic Silver 5 on the gtx 690, well broken in, went high as 90'c and above in doom(2016), but that's with bios voltage mod and oc'ed frequency.

Soon as I changed the paste to thermal Grizzly, like mid to upper 70's = HUGE difference.

about 10-12c difference, That is huge.

Another question, are you doing a push/pull configuration on your kraken?