EVGA 1070/1080 VRM litteraly burning

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Jujudlapampa, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Jujudlapampa

Jujudlapampa Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX1070 2088/2302
    Hey,

Just stumbled onto this :

*************/nvidia-gtx-1080-1070-evga-cards-dying/

Didn't see anything about it in other topics, and it's quite important.
    EVGA 1070/1080 equipped with ACX cooler users should check it out asap.

Until you get pad kits, or a replacement, you should avoid pushing too much your cards, and monitor temps.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  2. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
  3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    It's become a click bait site. That's probably why it's blocked here.

4. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    I ordered the free vram thermal pads.
    Not that i have had a problem with my card (1080 dt), i always use a aggressive fan curve.

5. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

I ordered it last week when they announced they were giving away the thermal pads and went to the website and they havent even shipped yet.

6. Jujudlapampa

Jujudlapampa Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX1070 2088/2302
  7. mjorgenson

mjorgenson Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW-RX 480
    I posted the below on 10/7 before any of this was known.

The card was not OC'd other than stock. In fact, I run a program called Argus Monitor that I have warnings for CPU and GPU temps. It also keeps a running log and it showed idle temps when the card blew.

Take it for what you will.....but, this might be a bigger issue than just some free pads.

8. Vellinious

Vellinious Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW x 2
    There are no sensors on the VRMs. GPU temps are core temps. The VRMs can be running extremely hot, and it'll never show in the temps.

The problem is the pad thickness. In some cases, there were actually gaps between the thermal pad and the VRM. Bad juju.

9. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Guest

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    Thank god I wanted to try msi this go around payed to much while it was in demand but got sammy mem. I wonder though is why there would be such an oversight thank god I'm not even on oc because I don't need it.

10. Nwanko

Nwanko Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 FTW 2151/5000
    I have no issues with mine, tho i'm running a custom EKWB loop with full cover blocks.

11. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    If there is no Vram or VRM pads then will trouble,because with new Pascal chip nVidia pushes limits so hard with OC on the chip.Remember Pascal chip its the old Maxwell chip but Overclocked so hard.Maxwell&Pascal are brothers,like Kepler&Fermi chips,ofc with some improvements.

Its nVidia fault because they marketing at the lauch of Pascal that super OC clock @ 2100 MHz.
    But even without big OC that chip will try hard to stay in the limits of GPU Booster 3.0.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  12. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    My EVGA GTX 1080 FTW, which I bought from Amazon back in late June but did not receive until mid-August due to stock shortages, started exhibiting the black screen and 100% fan issue intermittently during games in early October leading me to have to have RMA the card. My replacement came about two weeks ago and has so far being working fine. I am even able to overclock the VRAM by +400 MHz whereas the previous card would show artifacts above +250 MHz.

EVGA claim the black screen/100% fan issue is a result of out of spec components and not related to inadequate cooling of the VRMs. However, I did find that switching from the default fan profile (which spins when the GPU gets to 65 C) to a custom one that spins the fans all the time did reduce the black screen issues. I used itt while I waited for the replacement card to arrive and actually did not see further black screens in that time.

So I'm a bit confused as it did seem like the issue was reduced by ramping up the fans, contrary to what EVGA claim. They are also offering free thermal pads for the VRMs, which I have obviously requested, but I'm not sure if I already have them fitted on my new card. I asked EVGA and they said that the thermal pads are OPTIONAL and that the VRMs operate within safe specs. What puzzles me though is why they didn't just fit thermal pads in the first place if they reduce termperatures around the VRMs. Better safe than sorry, right? I mean this is a £600 graphics card; it's not cheap so you'd think they'd splash out a few extra pence per card to ensure that they are not just adequately cooled but MORE than adequately cooled. :3eyes:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  13. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070 TI OC
  14. mjorgenson

mjorgenson Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW-RX 480
    Wait....GPU does not mean VRM? :3eyes:

Anyhow, I was just pointing out that the card was at idle....and it blew. If the cards are popping at idle, then everyone should get pads....not just people that want to push the card.

15. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

well, when do they ship?!

16. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Shame, looks like i'll be going with another brand when i decide to upgrade this or next month.

17. No1True

No1True Guest

GPU:
    Why I have to press "auto" when using afterburner to make my fan curve work?

18. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    It looks like EVGA is going to release an official BIOS update for all cards with ACX 3.0 fans to change the fan profiles.

http://www.evga.com/thermalmod

Yah it seems having the fans off up to ~65C is not a good idea!! I had always thought the default fan curve was way too conservative. I've been using a custom fan profile since day 2 with these cards.

19. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It's a stress issue not an idle issue.

20. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Yes I agree but still it's too conservative a curve only hitting ~30% fan at 70C and about 40+% at 80C. Fan only seriously ramps up to 100% above 90+C which is honestly too hot.

It sounds like this new BIOS will modify the fan curve to provide better cooling.

------

From some of the tests I read the issue is the default fan curve goes off the GPU core temps and with the core at 70-75C the VRM or other components can be almost +20C hotter and the fan only spinning at 30% the fans aren't fast enough to keep components below failure temps. These parts have no temp probes so they need proper cooling!!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016