AMD Zen! Will this change the future?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by sunnyp_343, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Undesirable

Undesirable Guest

GPU:
    Liquid Devil 6900XT
    Anyone know if the IHS is welded, or does it have TIM underneath?

2. sunnyp_343

sunnyp_343 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG GTX 1080
    So some more interesting benchmarks coming to see.They are as fast as Intel's 4th or 5th Generation.So they are behind 6th gen and 7th gen. Intel.But this not clear its still lab sample or full clock.But even if its Fully clock 4 ghz and its as fast as 4th Gen. Intel then with the right price tag it is cake.

3. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    I read some time ago that it is welded. I posted in some thread before but cannot find the link anymore!

Edit: founded -> here!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  4. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Not bad at all.. Cant wait for final version, looks like 4.6ghz will be doable.

Although i'll personally upgrade with zen2.. atm still no need.

6. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    [​IMG]
    Seems legit guys? :p

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^^^^
    trololo

Look at that Unlocked version price ;)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  8. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    I don't think that it is for being unlocked. All of them are unlocked. The premium is higher binned and allow more tweaking I guess

9. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    If price will be around $500 then I will be happy, performance if will be close to 5960x then I will be switching without the question,I don't care if single performance will be poorer than 5960x if multi will be comparable

4.6Ghz would be awesome, but I think this will be same like on i7-5xxx or 6xxx series

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

10. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    +1 same here Jura , i'm on the same boat as you. $350US Dollar part will be the normal binned 8core 16treads cpu , the $500US Dollars will be the highest binned cpu of them all , the top dog , meaning higher clocks , low leakage cpu , cooler cpu and high overclockability. They all are unlocked yes.

It seems performance will be more or less equal as an Intel 5960X 8core 16tread cpu and that cpu is a $1000US Dollars cpu , so doing the math they are price very well and competitive. Reviews will tell the whole story very soon ....

11. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    I'm really starting to look forward to the release of these new CPUs, it feels like AMD has got an exciting thing on it's way over to us :)

I don't honestly think I will upgrade on release, as I am very happy with the performance I have currently and need to save up some more after I buy a new Vega card.

Still, the upgrade will save me money over my current power hungry platform once I do make that change, which will big worthwhile over time as I run my system 24/7

12. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Although right now I've i7-5820k with which I'm happy, but still would love to have 5960x or 6950x, but simply I'm not prepared pay £1000-£1650 for those chips,I've tested both chips on mine board few months back(both chips has been borrowed from our work)

Hopefully Zen will deliver us good performance and hopefully price will be in range of $500 US Dollars for highest binned chip

If those highest binned chips won't OC beyond 4.5GHz then I'm OK too, my borrowed 5960x won't OC beyond 4.6Ghz without going with crazy voltage(1.45v+)

I still will be waiting on reviews and then I will decide if I go or not with new platform

Yes agree reviews will tell us more and until then I will sit and wait, still waiting on Vega too what bring us

If performance will be as they're saying, then finally we will see, price drop on Intel chips and this means my i7-5820k will worth lot less than right now, which is good in one way and bad on another

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

13. khanivore

khanivore Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 680 2GB
    I'm thinking of building a new rig and had 6800K in mind but this Zen is looking interesting, plus Vega. Interesting times. :)

Currently using a 4.5 yr-old rig: i7-2700K@4.5 / 16Gb@1600 / GTX680 2Gb / 2x 250Gb Samsung EVO / 27" Asus 1080p@60Hz

14. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X

To answer the title...

No.

15. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    Looks better day by day.

I'll upgrade no matter what, not that my 8350 can't coup with what I throw at it, but because the FX990 chipset that looks quite old and my mobo from time to time refuse to boot just like that (it's a 4+ years old Asus Crosshair V :banana:).

A new GPU will follow up shortly ofcourse :nerd:!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016

16. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    http://blogs.barrons.com/techtrader...uraged-by-renduchintalas-pragmatic-influence/

"But there will be a significant focus also on higher performance microprocessors for desktops and servers, both from higher instructions per clock but also in other key metrics. Our faith in 10 nm raising the bar for enthusiast PCs is why we see the threat presented by AMD’s Zen as being fairly manageable, with only short term disruption in 2017."

kek

17. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

That's to appease shareholders no doubt. Intel won't have high performance desktop 10 nm CPU's until the end of 2018 with Ice Lake, only the low powered variants will get 10 nm beforehand with Cannonlake. By the end of 2018 Intel will be facing not Zen, but Zen+ with the thread of Zen+'s successor just around the corner.

18. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I still think $500 dollars for a Amd cpu is way to much!!! Anything over $250 usd I will just get intel- I dont think they will sell any cpu's over $200 dollars ( just my opinion) They have been branded the (budget) brand You cant just jump in the high-tier segment and demand we pay you $500 dollars!

For 500 dollars I would get myself a nice broadwell-e ,Haswell-e or whatever.

19. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I agree completely with that statement :thumbup: , good to see competition again.

20. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Agree Zen seems very promising.

Especially for someone like me looking to upgrade from 4 core/thread to 8 core/thread.
    A 8c/16t CPU for 350 bucks is a no-brainer unless there's something really "wrong" with it.