Mafia 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I don't think they have any plans of clothes customization.
    It seems they have a very specific look for Lincoln in mind for the game, and want to keep that consistent through out the game.

As for car customization, there's a small amount for Lincoln's car. You can't change tags, color or stuff like that.
    But, you can earn upgrades from your underbosses, and also buy certain upgrades after you've reached certain income levels.
    Same with weapon upgrades. It's in the game, I've dropped a lot of cash in game on upgrading my pistol and assault rifle skills.

But, I'm glad it doesn't have pointless side activities like GTA does.

All I want out of future updates are performance improvements, bug fixes... and possibly more customization options for UI and other options.
    I would love to be able to turn off the rear-view mirror, or make it so the Objective in the top left hand corner would fade off screen after a while.

But, my main thing right now is for them to fix how the game handles reflections and lighting. For a lot of the game, it looks perfectly fine... but, occasionally (normally during rain or certain times of day) the shaders tend to bug out a bit.

Causing issues like this..
    [​IMG]
    It can also cause an odd ghosting effect around trees and objects when they appear against clouds. You'll have a redish looking sky, but trees have a small pink outline.

If they can fix this issue... I'll be very, very happy.
    The bugs with reflections just annoys me every time it happens.

2. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    They have overdid it with "fake lighting" , sure needs fixing as I see on screenshot. Damn, maybe I will take this game if/when drops to 10-12 euros..no more.

3. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    That's a rather rare and extreme example.
    The majority of the time...
    [​IMG]

But, occasionally, the above issue pops up and just makes me stop and think 'The f***?'

EDIT: Turning FOV up to 80 or higher seems to (at least so far) have fixed it.
    Since turning it up to 80, not once has Lincoln looked silver as he did in that above screenshot.

I'll have to play more before I can really state that fixed it, but so far... it seems to have done something.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I wonder if that is driver related (which could be OS dependent) if others haven't come across it? I'm not trolling here, I would remark the same if it were an AMD card user :)

5. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I've seen a few other people post about it on the STEAM forums. But, nothing specific enough to narrow it down to Nvidia or a specific driver.

I've been curious how the newest WHQL set is, if there's been any improvements as far as Mafia III is concerned.
    Because, even if nothing specific is mentioned, we've all seen drivers impact a game without any information saying it would.

6. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    That lighting issue is related to a wrong interaction between Global illumination and Screen Space Reflections probably. Sometimes material shaders just don't "absorb" and bounce light properly and we get that weird result. It happened in Quantum Break as well, especially on the main character and only into indoor locations.

edit: before somebody asks, yes, Mafia 3 uses a third party GI system http://www.geomerics.com/news/enlighten-in-mafia-iii/

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  7. Asisvenia

Asisvenia Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 680 Lightning
    If anyone think play that game with GTX 680-770-7970.. or similar GPUs (my 680 running on 1240mhz gpu - 6.2ghz memory o.c'ed), I can surely say if you have good cpu (I'm using i7 2700k) yes you can play with 40-50 fps. (Of course not in high settings!)

I saw so much bad comments, so much people think these GPUs can't handle that game but they are wrong. Because I've finished game with GTX 680 + i7 2700k and had no problem. I haven't seen any kind of serious stuttering or lag problem.

My settings: 1080p, shadow-reflection medium , antialiasing low. 40-55 fps smoothness gameplay. But Hangar13 has made poorly optimized..

Screenshots:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  8. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Finished the game this morning.
    44 hours. And, I loved it.

I still look forward to updates and fixes, and I'm curious as to what else Hanger13 will bring to the game.
    I hope they manage to soften down some of the sharper edges of this rough release.

The story is absolutely incredible. Each cutscene is fantastic, voice acting... style and direction. It's very engaging and gripping.
    And, the story missions are a ton of fun and very interesting to play. From the riverboat one that's been shown, to sneaking into an underground Fight Club and fighting out as it burns down.
    Sneaking into a gathering and pretending to be part of the wait-staff, drugging people with laced wine... there's a lot of really fun stuff to do in the game.

I still feel the game would've been better had it just been a straight forward linear experience, like the previous two games.
    But, they felt they had to do something to make it stand out from the previous entries.
    It was a gamble, and I will give them props for trying something that most wouldn't have even bothered with.

9. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    This game sounds like it had decent planning and design, but poor programmers.

10. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Has anyone managed to get SLI working with this game?

Also and graphics tweaks... its not the best looking game IMO. LOL!

11. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090
    Just installed this game last night and been driving around a bit playing with graphic settings. My specs are on the left. I find the game somewhat buggy even though I run it att 60fps and I get this weird immediate cloud cover followed by intense sunlight..
    This game runs my CPU at 60 degrees and my GTX1080 at 70 degrees no other game has doen that before. Not even my benchmarks..
    running at 2560x1440 with mixed settings. Any help

12. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    -Poor programming
    -You run this game @ 1440p
    -Again poor programming from unknown "studio" Hangar.

13. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    I dont often complain about games but this one runs disasterously. I barely get 30fps at 4k on my rig, yet i can run bf1 full wack with no problems and it looks way, way better! Its a shame because i was really looking forward to this game.

14. DirtyDan

DirtyDan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB
    I really recommend trying out some of the mods for the game. I made a few

Heres the site: https://mafiamods.com/

So far there is a scripthook that can load lua scripts and plugins

https://mafiamods.com/mods/mafia-3-scripthook/

Here are my mods

Slim Jim - Unlocks a tool to break into cars faster without being noticed

https://mafiamods.com/mods/slim-jim-car-break-in-tool-not-the-snack/

[Boost Script - Boosts your car speed

https://mafiamods.com/mods/boost/

There are several others like manual car transition, vehicle controls. a game archive tool is in the works so we can make better changes to the game files. Despite being buggy as hell, i love the game and its settings, story is top notch and the shooting/driving is some of the best ive played.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  15. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090
    This is all great
    But I just some way to make the game run smoothly..
    I mean I got a monster of a machine here

16. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    That's not exactly a fair comparison.
    They tend to look amazing, but DICE's titles (specially since Bad Company 2) have never been very demanding.

17. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i wouldn't say dice games aren't very demanding as they are actually very optimized games and yes they do require a i5 and a decent gpu, probably a minimum of 750ti to run the game nicely along with 6gb of ram at least, as of my experience in bf4 and bf1.

18. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    But a 750ti was a budget card back when it was released.
    Nowhere near being a top end or high end card. But, from Bad Company 2 through to BF3 and 4, Hardline (I know, Visceral... but same engine) and Mirror's Edge.

None of them gave me any issues while playing. Smooth performance regardless of settings.

19. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    bf3 runs on a potato to be honest compared to bf4, the main thing was to a have a decent cpu first, coz a dual core wasn't even a choice for those games, as i remember having sound lag and fps drops like rain, i remember solving many issues when i got a core2quad q5550 2.8 ghz for bf3, ran the game pretty nicely with the gt 220 1gb ddr3.

20. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Exactly.
    BF3 would run on damn near anything... and it looked (still does) gorgeous.
    For all that it does, Frostbite is not nearly as resource intensive as you would think it should be.