AMD Radeon RX 460 2GB and 470 4GB 10 bucks cheaper

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 23, 2016.

1. soryuuha

soryuuha Member

GPU:
    xxx 270 xxx
    when GTX 1060Ti 3GB comes, RX480 will have to drop price too

2. ifixit

ifixit Guest

GPU:
    R9 280x > n dead 290x
    how come your meddling or not posting my posts, being selective, and generally trying to portray a falseness to this conversation on your webpage?

3. ifixit

ifixit Guest

GPU:
    R9 280x > n dead 290x
    I like you here actually did not know that issue to well, I remember a couple of posts here and there about it.

Did it break cards that NVidia fan issue, actually physically overheat them?

What was the outcome for those effected? I presume not a lot and I am presuming I have lost my money therefore?

4. ifixit

ifixit Guest

GPU:
    R9 280x > n dead 290x
    10 hours ago on the amd forums.. someone posted

Hey guys,

I bought a new pc with an ATI RX 480 8GB, build it together, installed newest drivers and played some Battlefield 1. Everything was smooth and fine.

The next day I started the system, I got randomly flickering colors during the log-in screen which made it impossible to see anything on the screen. When I blindly typed in the password and got to the desktop the flickering stopped and I could play some more Battlefield 1.

Today the flickering happened on the desktop too and now I even got 2-3 bluescreens which say "VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE cause of problems atikmpag.sys". Between the flickering colors I can see the screen normally for around 1-2 seconds. I followed the troubleshooting (DISM, SFC, driver cleanup and installing new drivers) but the problem still occurs. I tried different driver versions (16.10.2, 16.9.1, 16.8.2) but nothing seems to help. Right now I can use the system only during windows safe mode. Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

Regards,

aldec

//edit: I tried my old Radeon HD 7870 and everything is working fine with it. Is it a hardware issue with my new RX 480? Because it worked the first 1 1/2 days perfectly and the problems only appear after installing the drivers.

System:

-Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8GB

-Desktop system

-Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit

-Currently Crimson Edition 16.10.2 installed

-Display is BenQ GL2450 (1920x1080) HDMI to DVI adapter

-Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P

-CPU is Intel i5 6500

-PSU is be quiet! Pure Power 9 CM 500W

-RAM 8GB
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sterling stuff AMD, not just him either there are loads of posts extremely similar, seems like from the posts on most sites including sad to say guru3d it's more raise your hand if you are not having issues with AMD.

Nvidia currently.. issues? must have a looksy I suppose can't be as bad as AMD though surely.

5. ifixit

ifixit Guest

GPU:
    R9 280x > n dead 290x
    HH I think that will be the first of a few price drops, it may be better to just wait if your current setup is working ok, hold off that GPU upgrade.

We got new architecture coming from AMD soon I just would not upgrade at present if your an AMD person. Save longer get the next gen. It's not that far away.

I got a feeling there's going to be a product dump soon from AMD pending new releases, and there are always the xmas specials. Right now is just not the time my friend.

IMHO..only.

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Not sure about that. The GTX 1060 would have to drop in price if the 1060Ti is competitively priced against the 480.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Unlikely to be a 3GB 1060Ti.....especially considering the GTX1060 is both 6GB and 3GB, with the 3GB being a cut-down version of the 6GB model.

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

You make a good point there. The target market for the 1060 though is more 1080P gaming, I can make that statement because it is a mainstream card and 1080P is mainstream. This is an important distinction because the main benefits of the extra RAM is for higher resolutions. For AMD, the 4 GB option on the 480 for example is ideal for this, especially when you consider the bandwidth savings of the colour compression. I suspect what will happen is the 1060 Ti will likely be 6 GB and fall in nicely between the 1060 and 1070 from a price perspective. Even if it is faster than the RX 470, it would also likely be more expensive.

I looked on Newegg US for a very rough surmisation of the price. A GTX 1060 6B is roughly $280 and a GTX 1070 is around $420. I did not select the cheapest options there, nor the most expensive. That is a $140 price difference for the 6 GB models. So, one would think the target price for the end sale of the 1060 TI 6 GB would be around US$350.

The RX 470 4 GB model, remembering that the target market for these cards is really 1080P meaning 4 GB is more cost effective, is $200 and around $240 for the 8 GB model. The RX 480 8 GB is around $250 (give or take). The real question therefore would be, is the GTX 1060 Ti worth the extra US$100? If that price is correct, from a performance standpoint it would have to be 40 percent faster to be 'the same' performance for dollar. This is very game dependent, and API dependent.

9. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    I totally concur with this analysis. Especially taking into consideration that nowadays AMD's drivers generally give less problems than nVidia's.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I'm failing to see the relevance this has to what I said... Seeing as there is a 6GB version of the GTX1060, why would NVidia bother releasing a 3GB GTX1060Ti? It would make no sense.

Also, GTX1060 6GB prices float between $240 and roughly $540

For reference:
    EVGA GTX1060 SC Gaming 6GB @ $539.77
    EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING @ $239.99

And yes, those are the same card....lol

The GTX1070 floats between roughly $390 and $760....

If they priced a GTX1060Ti at $350....most will spend the extra $40 to get a 1070 unless the performance is reasonably close, and then they risk cannibalizing 1070 sales.

11. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    i read people saying about problem on Radeon but sometimes is an user's fault using installing drivers without clean previous, using PSU under recomended or bad cooling system (low fans on case), i never had oroblems on Radeon, even with Beta drivers.

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

At no point did I mention anything of a 3 GB GTX1060 Ti. What I was getting at in terms of mainstream 1080P memory requirements etc is 4 GB (including the delta colour compression) is probably 'ideal'. The GTX1060 Ti is still a mainstream card, if you want to game in 1440P or higher you would probably go for a higher end card. Therefore, from a price perspective, you can compare a 4 GB RX 480 against the GTX 1060 Ti since the target gameplay is likely to be similar. For the prices, I was going by 'decentish' prices, $540 for something that is $240 elsewhere is far from decent.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2016
  13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My post, which you quoted, was a direct response to someone claiming that a 3GB GTX1060Ti was on the way.

14. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    doubt your well under spec enermax 495 PSU would have lasted long even trying to boot an 290x your psu probs the issue or caused it after long term use with the 290x just a guess though ... personally I don believe the drivers did such a thing, and it's a troll thread because your post contradicts your hardware or you cant except your config wont work because your choice of parts. if it ever did work your psu probs power surged/spiked your card.

your psu is knocking on lol

Support latest P4 Prescott and Athlon 64/64 FX processors based systems: P4 main boards that use 875 (Canterwood) and 865 (Springdale) chipsets, and also fully support power requirements for platforms using chipsets like Intel 925 (Alderwood) or 915 (Grantsdale) and next generation CPU.Intel approved

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  15. ifixit

ifixit Guest

GPU:
    R9 280x > n dead 290x
    Yeah should have upgraded my specs..my bad recheck now I have a gold FSP Hydro G..it wasn't an issue.

If I had used my trusty enermax(that old enermax is unbelievably one of the best PSU I ever had hence it's my backup.)..I would have thought that 500w PSU should have at least got windows and drivers loaded, probably die when stressed but. meh I should pull it out the cupboard n see if it'll boot the 280x up?

Think at max load and stability testing it was drawing 243w..my system is not full of fans etc, it's lean but extreemly fast. -for my usage.

BTW, this labelling people trolls when they say something anti, I had a personal experience that was bad with AMD, you fan boys jump to defence, label people trolls and are quite clever at picking things apart, do you support the manufacturers because they gave you freebies?

be fkn honest,, stop the labelling bull****.

and lastly, the issue of 16.9.1 and anniversary update drivers killing card, it's not troll it's a fact .

but your opinion is revered and I await your god like knowledge of everything going on in the world to inform me you know, well better eh.

OH and PPS, it might say newbie, I have been posting here longer than you are probably old, I just moved, house, had some issues new ISP, new email a while back and lost my login so made a new one.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    awww... sorry to hear that
    but 2(!?) dead Hawaii with elipda?

Custom or AMD reference design? And did you buy them new or used

My ref. 290 with elipda still goin stwong :cheers:

17. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    well don't bait with bullsh!t spec then update them otherwise looks like ya probs troll'n ... I mean if ya can be arsed to post and moan at least give the correct details ...

god like more i'd need to visit mystic meg if ya post wrong hardware ...

unless this site has been going for over 40 years then nah you aint been posting longer ...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016