Manufacturers roll out firmware updates for GeForce GTX 1070 due to memory Issue

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 20, 2016.

1. darkdrone48

darkdrone48 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1070
    i have graphical issues but i can't tell if it's drivers or the card i emailed Asus regarding the problem and got the impression they're not going to release a BIOS update anytime soon,even if i RMA the card who's to say i won't end up with Micron ram again,i waited months to buy this card so stuff like this wouldn't happen

2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Sound like a DOA.

I have the same card and no issues at all.

(except coilwhine even at 60 fps, but cant hear it from underneat my desk)

3. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    RMA/Return time. In your case the bios came too late I think. The small squares is (with this particular problem) a sign of immanent card failure.

4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I guess i'm lucky my AERO OC has Samsung then ^^

5. Njord

Njord Guest

GPU:
    r9 290 / GTX 1070
    If you use GPU-Z you can check if you have Micron or Samsung memory on the card.

6. Njord

Njord Guest

GPU:
    r9 290 / GTX 1070
    MSI har not released a new bios but they proclaim that they working on it according to Guru3d. After the Graphics driver has restarted I can run folding@home on full load for a long time with no problem att all, I have run the cards with folding for more than 3 Days straight without any errors, but the micron memory runns att 300MHz below spec's. Regarding the RMA I have modded the cards so that is probably not an option anymore but as long they work as they do now I can live with it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  7. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Sorry after the whole 970GTX memeory thing didn;t AMD do a load of viral videos mentioning the entire fiasco? AMD are just as bad as Nvidia about this kind of thing and being the 'underdog' doesn't make them any holier than thou when it comes to taking advantage of this kind of thing.

As for not freaking out, geesh the resolution is as easy as a driver update, do we freak out when a new driver causes issue... no we roll back and wait for something better to come along.

8. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Funny how ppl compare a "design problem" (hardware/software on the amd cards to a problem caused by manufacturers selecting different ram chips (nv doesn't control that).

My Zotac 1070 has the same issue, thought i was my imagination when i saw graphic errors.
    And they want me to contact support after posting on their FB site.
    How about providing a bios update instead, Zoatc?

9. ra_alfaomega

ra_alfaomega Member Guru

GPU:
    Gtx1070 MSI Gaming X
    I had a 1070 msi gaming x that worked 5 days in fah before it died. I am not very sure that the memory was the problem,but since almost everybody has problem with micron 1070 memory it could be a possibility. The card was very hot when I tried to touch it after it died. Now I have another msi gaming x with micron memory, this time I locked the voltage in AB, the maximum stable memory overclock is 9050 mhz. Is not so bad, but if I don't lock the voltage and the card goes to idle after a fah project is done, the desktop begins filling with artifacts and I have to restart. This is when I overclock it with memory over 8500mhz. The new Msi card with micron memory is folding for almost 2 months continuously. If you don't mind, what's your donor name in fah?

10. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I did yesterday and it has Samsung.

11. Njord

Njord Guest

GPU:
    r9 290 / GTX 1070
    My folding name is Simplex0. I suspect that folding and BOINC which I have on auotostart is starting before Afterburner executing my settings in 'Power limit' and 'Core voltage', they are both set to maximum, and that trigger the graphics driver to crash but that is only a guess.

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I wonder, has anyone compared the samsung bios with the micron? If put thru some bios editing tool to see what differences there may be, esp with regard to voltages?

13. ra_alfaomega

ra_alfaomega Member Guru

GPU:
    Gtx1070 MSI Gaming X
    I see that you are a great contributor to fah :) To bad you are not in guru3d team. You are folding with 2x1070?
    You have problems with default settings? With default settings I don't have a problem. You can remove the autostart option from fah, at least until the new msi bios arrives.
    I noticed something strange, fah puts my memory to 7600 mhz instead of 8000. The 8000 is set just when fah finish a project. In games I have 8000. So the problem was when I set +400 to use in fah to have the 8Ghz, in idle the clocks went to 8400. If I wanted 8200 in fah that would come in 8600 in idle when the artifacts appears. Interesting is that now I run the memory at 9000 in fah using 1.062 MV locked in AB. When in idle the clocks goes to 9400, but without the artifacts. Thanks AB creators for the locked voltage option.

14. Badelhas

Badelhas Active Member

GPU:
    Gtx670
    Hilbert, are there any news regarding the Inno3d brand? Will they ever release a new bios? I ask this because I see green lines sometimes on the windows 10 welcome screen and when gaming. This happens since the beginning. At first I thought that a Nvidia driver update would fix that but then I lost hope. Now I understand that it can only be fixed with a new Bios. Am I wrong?

Cheers

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  15. Njord

Njord Guest

GPU:
    r9 290 / GTX 1070
    Yes I fold with 2x1070 on one computer an 3xR9 290 on an other computer.
    I did not know that it was folding that reduced the speed of the memory, thank you for that information, but an other strange thing is that if I try to run the memory at 8008 MHz folding seams to work after the the graphic driver has crashed and reloaded but then BOINC stops working and is unable to make contact despite the fact that I do not run any GPU application on BOINC. It is also strange that the graphics driver always crashes and restarts when Windows starts with stock settings but I can live with that as long it works with no problem after the driver is reloaded.

16. gtbtk

gtbtk Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X

Sounds like a faulty card to me

17. gtbtk

gtbtk Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    the first batch of Samsung cards manufactured before July 2016 have bios versions 86.04.1E.00.XX. This file will run on the Micron memory cards and also causes the same artifacting issue

When the first Micron cards were manufactured in early July they has bios version 86.04.26.00.xx however, I understand that the batches of samsung cards that have been manufactured since July 2014 also are using the same bios version.

The bug itself is not related to faulty memory components. It causes artifacts because when using micron memory, the card does not increase the memory voltage from the deep sleep idle states fast enough to match the voltage needs at high OC clock rates of the micron memory. For some reason, the Samsung memory is either more tolerant to power starvation or it increases clock speed slower than the micron chips and does not outpace the VRM voltage increase.

18. FOFINHO

FOFINHO Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix O8GB
    Waiting for Asus' update

Discovery this situation in the very same day I got my GTX 1070, and yeah it's Micron memory :/ I'm waiting for an update made by Asus.

19. Sincreator

Sincreator Member

GPU:
    Zotac Amp GTX1070
    Response from Zotac

Just got a response back from Zotac USA:

15:01 Your Question: I am looking for an updated bios for my GTX 1070 amp edition card. Is there one available? It has Micron memory, and from reports I have been reading there should be incoming bios updates that will help alleviate any issues(artifacts, flickering, crashes)

15:02 Rafael Macias: Good Day Reg, Thank you for contacting ZOtac USA
    customer support

15:03Reg Smith: Hello

15:04 Rafael Macias: we are aware of this issue with Micron memory and our support engineers are working close with nvidia about the vBios update, however so far we do not have an official release date for the vBIOS update.

15:04 Reg Smith: So there will be one though. That is great news

15:05 Rafael Macias: Yes there will be an update, we just do not have any release date

15:06 Reg Smith: Thank you for the update. :)

15:07 Rafael Macias: you are welcome

20. spouny

spouny Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1070 Amp Ed.
    Thank you for that news Sincreator. I'm waiting for a bios release for my Zotac GTX1070 amp edition.