Manufacturers roll out firmware updates for GeForce GTX 1070 due to memory Issue

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You have a source for this? Pretty much everything I've read is that the voltage on the memory is unchanged between the Samsung and the Micron chips, the bios between the two was identical up until this point. That's not to mention that Nvidia doesn't specify any lifespan for the card. If it ends up lasting 14 years instead of 15, I doubt it matters.

2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    One thing I know we will see is that a lot of issues - aside from the actual memory problem - will be blamed on the vram. Like the game issue earlier mentioned.

3. Krimson

Krimson New Member

GPU:
    zotac gtx 1070 amp editio
    :banana:

4. stigbeater

stigbeater Guest

i have micron on my MSI gaming X i did find this in a redit thread
    [–]BullnBear 3 points 1 month ago
    Found an explanation on an EVGA thread which might shed some light on whats going on. The comment reads as follows:
    The "Micron" problem is not the Micron Ram itself but, I believe, a bug in the micron version of the bios that increases the clock speed of the Ram from a low voltage state (below .800v) faster than the VRMs can be cranked up to provide enough voltage for the memory to support the high clock speed. An overclock from low voltage states will start giving checkerboard artifacts somewhere in the +400 to +500 range.
    If the voltage is already set high when you increase the slider and hit the apply button. running Kboost or locking rge voltage in afterburner, the memory will clock to +600 or better with no artifacts, of course the exact levels will depend on the individual card.
    The Samsung memory either copes with the few milliseconds of voltage starvation better or the different bios version increases the voltage faster to support the memory at the high clock speeds.

5. spine

spine Member Guru

GPU:
    Titan Xp CE + EK WB
    Doesn't happen with Founders Edition cards.

Maybe their value is now becoming apparent...

6. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    There is something to be said about 1st-batch products...

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Bios updates this days are easy as installing the drivers. Most cards even have dual-bios switch.

I dont see whats the big deal is.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    All the FE cards use Samsung.

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    You do know that they're not the only cards using Samsung memory?
    Or that a simple bios flash for micron cards might fix everything?
    Or that when the fix does work, you paid more for the same card essentially?

Just thinking.

10. Weecka

Weecka Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX4080 OC

The sc/oc cards are not overclocked to max. They are overclocked to a certain degree so the superior cooling (aftermarket) would still maintain acceptable noise and cooling levels for a 24/7 use. Most of these cards can go alot higher as long as the heat is not going too high. As it is one of the fastest pc hardware killers. As you notice when Hilbert tests these cards he's pushing more or less 100/500 overclocks on core/memory respectively (on oc'd/sc'd models). For exaple, intel wouldn't recommend overclocking i7 2700k (that i still have - BOO) to 4.7-5 ghz for 24/7 use as it it is suppose to severely reduce the lifespan of the cpu. I've been running it at 4.7ghz for nearly 5 years, but wih a custom H2O loop that is keeping it very cool (60-65 C on 100% stress testing load)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016

11. Weecka

Weecka Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX4080 OC
    If the card would have a chance of malfunctioning and maybe even damaging your pc then i have no doubt they would recall them. But if a bios fix can solve the problem without affecting performance/reliability of the card then it would make no sense to do so.

You do understand that it is not nvidia that is putting the memory onto the card but the actual card manufacturers (such as evga, asus, gigabyte..etc.) nvidia pretty much only supply the gpu chip. So the problem lies (my guess) in lack of communication or information between micron and the aforementioned card manufacturers.

12. EdInk

EdInk Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 (H20)
    Got a Gigabyte GTX1070 mini itx OC and on GPU z it shows GDDR5 (Micron). I get a kind of ghosting effect when gaming or watching videos/movies, is this related to the memory issue?

13. gmm03

gmm03 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    How can you find out the type of chip on linux(ubuntu, specifically)? ive been searching around and cant seem to find the way to get that information.

14. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    Well if it is vram then they will most likely increase voltage and even loosen up some timing. If they do change the timings then it will decrease performance. Well it will be nice to see a performance comparison between the different BIOS files just to be sure they didn't touch those timings.

15. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Perhaps 0.1% difference.

Not worth benching that as you wont notice it ingame.

Also you have AMD so why worry?

16. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Samsung memory here, +700/800 on memory and never seen a single artifact. OC on core is ****ty though, can't get over 2050MHz stable.

17. mNiosu

mNiosu Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 G1
    So the X70 series of nVidia's lineup are doomed to have memory problems, are them? :)

18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I doubt it. But I'm going to roll the dice on one soon. If its micron and has no issues at stock settings, then it will be fine by me.

19. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    HMMM strange,they have BIOS for FE cards with micron.
    08G-P4-6170-KR - EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FOUNDERS EDITION

Anyway I have a Gigabyte 1070 with Micron.No problems on the ram.

Although I see posts about any 1070 card with Micron is going to fail.

The cards come with a warranty,RMA if needed.

20. NiscoRacing

NiscoRacing Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 4GB (WC)