Nvidia vs Asus drivers gtx1070

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by TheGivingTree, Oct 19, 2016.

1. TheGivingTree

TheGivingTree Active Member

Hi, I am new to nvidia, I've used AMD cards for the last 10+ years. Anyhow I was wondering, I have the Asus Strix GTX1070 and was wondering what is better to use, the nvidia drivers, or the ones that Asus supports on their webpage?

All I care about is best performance/fps.

One last thing, since I am unfamiliar with nvidia cards is their any tips or tricks I can do to increase my performance? I remember with AMD cards doing something like disabling crossfire even if you don't have it can help stability/performance.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    NVIDIA drivers are likely to be the most up to date

MSI Afterburner to OC the GPU for better performance

3. TheGivingTree

I am using the

Asus GPUtweakII. Don't they both do basically the same thing? It also has an OC mode which IK guess overclocks it automatically. Should I OC it beyond that, I thought the 1070 couldn't handle too much output and can't be OC'd all that well. Based on what I read at least.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea if it raises the core and memory clocks, and give you voltage control, similar thing

Most of us use Afterburner, pretty much a world above the alternatives in terms of features, not to mention the dev is a mod here (Unwinder)

5. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Yeah, they do the same. I'm using Asus GPUtweak II with my Strix 1080 and am very pleased results. Steady boost during gaming between 2050 - 2083 with no drops with gpu clock set at 1911, auto fan with temps 65-68.

6. TheGivingTree

So there is no like..secret feature I can turn on or disable to help improve performance, or hidden tweaks or anything?

7. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    If you are using GPUtweak II just select one of the preset modes (OC, Gaming or Silent). Once you become more familiar with overclocking you can switch it to manual and customize the overclock settings, but your everyday gaming needs the preset modes should be just fine.

8. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    A new version of GPUTweak2 (Ver1.3.9.7) came out today. You can download it at the Asus support download site.

9. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Always get the latest drivers from nvidia. If you install geforce experience, then that's what you get anyway.

There's never any reason to use vendor-supplied downloads, at least on desktop PCs. All they do is just mirror the nvidia drivers, and usually they lag behind with the versions.

So, just get them either from http://nvidia.com/drivers or through GF Experience if you want to use that.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016