Next large update to Windows 10 to be released March 2017

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 18, 2016.

1. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    I am pleased with 10. I have version RS2 14946 and it can't be more stable and reliable already. Maybe it's time for some users to reconsider their usage skills.

2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I never used Windows 8/8.1, i went from Windows 7 to 10.

And it's the best move i made in years.

3. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    I wish they fix File Explorer crashing because of long file names.

4. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Maybe they'll give us an option uninstall the store and other the other apps.

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
  6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    There is such a version but you'd have to be okay with using an unauthorized O/S :p

There's a group policy to enable long file names in 1607 version of win 10, this is despite enabling that policy?

7. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    I'd agree with you if I was still on Windows 7 - I dislike the idea of apps on a desktop OS.

But having become used to it I now find having apps on the desktop such as Facebook/Messenger very useful as it ties in with the action centre.

Then there's the games etc.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    hahah the Store "app" uninstalled its self on my pc and I cannt re install it not that I need to, Unless the STore is actual need for the automatic app updates for the hand full I actual still have on my system

9. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Infinite reboot? Haven't seen that since the days of the woeful Vista

10. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Actually you can easily prevent any apps from being installed that you don't want.

11. mmicrosysm2

mmicrosysm2 Guest

GPU:
    8 MB SDRAM
    I get a quite few of them in at my shop.

12. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    People **** on Vista all the time, but the kernel and general improvements it brought were awesome. Microsoft will do this update every six months, this is not a secret. And it is a good thing IMO. I have had multiple systems that had no issue with upgrading, and I hope that with the next big one the upgrade process will be even smoother.

As for my self, I have a triple disk setup (OS/User Files, Games/Downloads,Backup), and I backup my whole AppData/ProgramData, so whenever these come out I do a fresh install and I'm done.

13. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    The other day, I had to try and fix a startup file which wouldn't fix for windows 10.

I didn't have a USB copy of windows 10, or a disk so couldn't run any config tools as even the UEFI was borked. I had to reinstall windows 8, upgrade to windows 8.1, do all of the updates, then upgrade to windows 10, and of course do all of the upgrades for that, too.

It took a very long time, but once done, I ordered a 32GB Toshiba USB stick and installed a boot copy of windows 10 for the future.

You never think it's gonna happen to you, but then, from nowhere, your friday night is ruined.

FTTH FTW.

14. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Download a Win 10 iso and create a bootable usb with it using rufus. That way "all" the updates to 10 amount to 3 with one of them being the cumulative rollup.

15. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Could have installed 8, downloaded a 10 ISO and upgraded from that by mounting, or run setup from the sources folder of the ISO and clean installed 10

17. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Use Powershell to remove these other apps (others have provided links on how to do this). Some apps like Cortana can't be removed because they are tied to other functions of the OS (in this instance Cortana is tied to the search and index functions). You can disable some of its functionality by using the registry and group policy. Removing unwanted apps is as simple as running a script in Powershell.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  18. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    All you had to do is install Windows 8, download and run the Media Creation tool, create a usb flash drive, run the upgrade and done. Not sure why you took the long way around.

However, if you did not have a usb flash drive, just run the Media Creation tool and do the upgrade from there. Basically, you did all that extra work for no reason at all. :D

19. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I'm just waiting for the day that local accounts are no longer supported for even the most basic of functions. Then it's linux time.

20. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Eh, **** it, it was free, right?

Microsoft has had me by the gonads since DOS anyways so whatever...