Review: Battlefield 1 DirectX 11 and 12 PC graphics performance

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 18, 2016.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I have to push the game a bit extra via the resolution scaling slider but at 150% (3840x2160 to 2560x1440) there's a small improvement with DirectX 12 in more demanding areas of the game (The foggy forest I tested with had DX11 at 43 - 44 and DX12 at 45 - 46 so pretty minor difference.) otherwise yeah it's pretty close between the two API's but I'd imagine that as usual DirectX 12 mainly helps with CPU limitations and can optionally also be used for multi-GPU support (But currently doesn't seem to be using anything of that?) but that tends to lag behind for several of the current D3D12 capable games out at the moment.

2. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    So EA is still doing the same old crappy limits what is why we need to stop buying there crappy games in first place we all put the squeeze on them maybe just maybe they get the message.

3. negchampa

negchampa Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX580 SLI
    It is actually 'their' but besides the point, this game is not crappy , probably will be one of the best games this year. I have over 600 hours in BF4 alone.

Honestly, this DRM will affect almost no one. Other than this particular benchmarking case I can't see how this DRM will adversely affect anyone.

4. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    I agree, 5 systems in less than 24 hours seems perfectly reasonable. That said, they probably should have some way of deactivating it for reviews on request, but it's hardly the end of the world.

5. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Another great game performance review and also congrats to HH who handle the limit issue like a professional. :thumbup:

Also strong performance from both sides. Well done.

+1 After contacting them they could/should allow for specific cases(like well-known/credible reviewing websites), one week of unlimited or at least a higher amount of HW swaps on a specific account.

So that "unlock" or bypass will come strictly from their end for that account without the reviewer interaction and it will end in a week's time.

I'm saying this just in case they are worried about something leaking etc.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  6. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    I just wonder how can they make basically the same game over and over again, and still manage to require more processor power every time?. new physics engine?, bots with advanced ia?, didn´t give any attention to cpu overhead under dx11?.

7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Thanks Hilbert! I'm more eager to see the CPU tests with DX12, to be honest. A lot of people disregard DX12 because GPU results seem similar in optimized titles, but I believe that it's more important because it enables people with weaker CPUs to play modern games, and game creators to do more with CPU stuff in general.

8. Pete J

Pete J Master Guru

GPU:
    Some of those as well
    Thanks for the time and effort to do this Hilbert!

9. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    I enjoyed that review thanks.

I'm really looking forward to getting this game and having a good play with it, I used to love BF2 so much but have not had the time to get into more recent ones it seems.

This time I will I think :)

10. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Thanks for the review Hilbert! Looks like a fun game, well optimised since day one. It's nice to see cards like 290/390 and 290X/390X are doing so good in 1080p/1440p and surprisingly well in 2160p. On the other hand like you've just said 980Ti results arr weird indeed, hope next update for BF1 or next set of drivers for green cards is going to solve the problem.

11. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    I see my old n' weak 390X still goes strong lol.

12. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    These guys seem to show the 980Ti getting beaten by the 390X and trailing the 1070 and Fury. So it's not Guru3D's that appears to be out of place either. Thermal throttling? I take they are all reference designs and the guys posting higher framerates may have locked their fan speeds higher.

http://*************/battlefield-1-directx-12-benchmarks-amd-nvidia/

13. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    O GOD , the price for it it's just to much ! When did games become so expensive ?

14. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Isn't it a completely different engine than bf4? I don't think frostbite was ready when bf4 was released.

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Same engine, FB3 - but they've made obvious improvements to material shaders and stuff since then. I imagine a lot of iteration goes on in-between the various releases of games, similar to how UE4 has multiple new/overhauled systems in it since it launched.

Honestly, I would think with the level of integration Frostbite now has in EA games, they probably have a dedicated team just for maintaining/improving it. The various studios that use it probably just pick a release and maintain that fork for the duration that specific game.

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  17. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    Anyone else having this issue I am having? The game ran fine with my system when I was playing the open beta.

Sometimes I can get 100 fps synced using Ultra setting at 1440p with DX11. If I close the game and restart it later with the same settings I am barely getting 60-70 fps.

I then delete the BF1 folder in my documents & restart the game, sometimes this fixes the issue, but reverts back to the crap frame rate after closing down & restarting.

Edit: I used Nvidia Inspectors BF1 profile, fixed :)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  18. loser7

loser7 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I'd really like to see DX11vsDX12 on a low spec CPU comparison. DX12 is supposed to be about efficiency improvements so it would be nice to see if that shows up with like an i3 vs AMD quad core. Assuming it's anything like mantel there should be some significant gains over DX11 on low-end CPUs. So far I have not seen anyone test this.

19. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    No SLI when DX12 is enabled. I get 70-75 FPS on Ultra + 125% Resolution Scale on my 1080 @ 2126..But on DX11 I get Consistent 100 FPS due to having SLI..

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    that looks like some shader cache conflict..

Test shader cache off by BF1 driver profile if its any different.