Speedfan issues

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by diamond-optic, Sep 17, 2016.

1. diamond-optic

diamond-optic Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW+
    so I have been using speedfan for years now with no issue. Havent changed any settings with it since after first building this pc.

but starting last night whenever i do a cold boot i get an error popup saying the following:

and speedfan obviously does not start. I dont know what this service nonsense is, Ive never used a speedfan service (nor do i see one anywhere on the services.msc window). I have always started speedfan via task scheduler after user login and never had an issue with it. The error code showing in task scheduler is 0x55B. My other startup programs (including other ones through the task scheduler) all start up fine.

Also, if i just click ok or whatever on the error popup, I can then go and manually start speedfan with no issue.

I did do a couple windows updates a few days ago but I had booted up since then without this error, but I went ahead and removed those updates incase. No difference with them uninstalled.

This also only happens when booting up when my pc is turned off. Rebooting after already being in windows does not give this error. My OS and speedfan are located on one of my SSDs and nothing is showing any issue with the drive itself.

I really have no clue what the problem is and why this just started happening. Ive looked around on google and was unable to come up with anything that seemed even the least bit helpful. I even uninstalled and reinstalled speedfan, no difference. I tried adding a delay to the startup task (30 seconds) and I still get the error..

Anyone have any idea?

*edit*

btw, im on windows 7 x64

2. diamond-optic

diamond-optic Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW+
    ok maybe i need to reinstall windows..

now with the speedfan startup task disabled, it seems to be taking a while for other stuff to start up, things that would startup like a second after the desktop loaded now are taking anywhere from 15-30 seconds to show up in the system tray

3. diamond-optic

diamond-optic Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW+
    ok so it took quite a while but I think i finally might have figured out the cause to the wierd hangups i was getting after booting up..

I'm pretty sure its the 'Origin Web Helper Service'... ive done several tests now and I'm confident that this service was the cause of my problems.

When its set to automatically start, i get problems with some of my other startups taking forever to load or giving me errors. If i set it to manual or disabled everything starts up just fine right after booting and without any errors

and since figuring this out and googling the service, I see it appears to be a known issue for some people. And quite a bit of the complaints I find regarding this service are from right around the time it started happening to me. So i'm assuming it was caused by a somewhat recent origin update

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016