Gears of War 4: Unreal Engine 4 unleashed!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    You thinking QB only had the reduction because it's kinda broken.
    Anyone buy digital games on the X1? What sort of prices drops do they get?

2. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Could be that and could also be sales. Gears is a really good game and I'm assuming it will sell well. Most big sellers like this and things like CoD don't come down in price very fast, especially when there's a monopoly for digital sales like on XBL.

3. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    £50 for me was good value as its play anywhere.

Ive bought this game once from MS store and am able to play coop with another person on our XB1 at the same time. Good value effectively £25 each

4. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Yeah I don't really understand the problem with the price. All AAA games launch at this price.

5. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    You can play coop on your account via your Xbox One and PC at the same time?

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Maybe it's a UK thing then.

PC games used to be £30 digitally, or £20-25 if you picked up the retail disc.
    Then the price creeped up to £40 for the "standard' edition.

This is £50 for the standard edition, great value if you have an X1, not so much if you don't.

7. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    It's probably because exchange rates have tanked. £50 for a game lines up pretty well with the $60 we pay here.

8. deets75

deets75 Guest

yeah the UK and Europe never pay this kinda price, we have a history of competition in our retail stores and online retail which kept prices quite sane.

MS and origin just try to gouge us and they were doing it before the £££ did its thing recently. steam also does this to a lesser degree, but key sites have saved us that hassle, or at least keys being released to third party official sites as well helps massively.

its also supported by an element of PC gamers, it seems some actually want high prices to demonstrat their elite master race status. the amount of times Ive heard folk say "dont buy it if you cant afford it" when prices were mentioned, very self destructive.

as GOW 4 is now down to £41 here, I am actually considering it, at £50 there was little to no chance...

9. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    What I don't understand is why games would be cheaper in Europe even after figuring in exchange rate? Is £50 much harder to get than $60 would be in the US? Is the cost of living there considerably higher than here? Are wages lower?

10. deets75

deets75 Guest

I wish I had the knowledge to give you the answers, but its just been this way for as long as I can remember for PC games.

11. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Chances are that this is just the way it will be from now on. You're lucky you had such low prices for so long as it is. Hell, we're still lucky that a AAA game in the US is still only $60.

12. Ranger x

Ranger x Master Guru

GPU:
    12GB EVGA FTW3 3080
    I'm getting an average of 98 fps in the benchmark @ 1440P ultra settings, loving it. This game is up there with Doom4 and Rise of the Tomb Raider.....:banana:

13. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    OK, now that I have the game I've been playing, and I can say I'm mightily impressed! Mostly from the level of optimization involved, but also from the graphics. Yes the graphical potential has been severely blunted from the game being designed primarily for the Xbox One (most apparent in the early stages of the game), but the UE4 is so scalable that the PC version still looks fantastic and you see it more and more as the game continues!

One thing that is particularly awesome, is how CLEAN the game looks. I haven't noticed not one single instance of temporal aliasing since I've been playing, which is really amazing! Also the lighting for the flashlights which uses real time global illumination is fantastic! Not only does it illuminate the environment fairly realistically using single bounce, but it also casts dynamic shadows. Other notables are the material shaders (UE4 is amongst the best at this) and the particle effects..

Haven't had any issues playing at 1440p ultra, runs at 60 FPS constantly with no frame drops. Game is memory hungry though. Before I closed it to write this post, it was using almost 10GB of RAM, and about 7.6GB of VRAM. Anyway, here are some high quality .pngs that I took which are totally superior to that garbage deep linked from GameGPU:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    PartyPoison gave me the heads up a few pages back.

Buy the game on your account in Win 10 store, then log into your Xbox1 with this account and download the game. Set your XB1 as your home console - now anyone can log into a seperate account on your XB1 and play GOW4 online (as long as that account has XBLive).

You play on GOW4 on your account on PC, someone else logs into their account on your XB1 - Play Coop together or play separately, whatever you want !

15. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    Unreal Engine 4's AA solution is truly something to behold. It does blur the artwork that's true, on the other hand the image stability is impressive. In movement I think the sharpness is somewhat less crucial to the overall composition than an image virtually free of artefacts.

I used to dislike Nvidia TXAA but they were right all along. Image stability is key nowadays.
    I wish Crystal Dynamics/Nixxes implemented something akin for Rise of the Tomb Raider. This game has stunning assets partly ruined by the shimmering.

16. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    Thanks for the heads up. :)

17. Kono

Kono Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 / 8GB
    agreed! TXAA look amazing on BF1. Just saw the comparison on youtube this morning.

I'm currently replaying Rise of the Tomb Raider with AA off on 3440x1440. It actually look better without it. :)

18. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    You can eliminate the blur by scaling up your resolution and downsampling.

19. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    I know that but this is does not come at a low cost. In the future maybe I'll be able to do that should I decide not to reinvest the headroom elsewhere.

There is also Lumasharpen or even sharpening tools build inside some games, I think TAA without any sharpening of any kind is too crude but I think Gears 4's TAA already includes some level of sharpening.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  20. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Always have and will prefer TXAA, I'd rather have a slightly blurry image vs. jaggies. I've been gaming with jaggies for 20 years, regardless of the AA methods used for so long. It's nice to truly be rid of them. Give me some blur.