CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) Tips, Tricks and Monitors OC (LCD/LED/CRT)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Oct 3, 2016.

1. ultraex2003

ultraex2003 Master Guru

GPU:
    Amd 2x290 Cfx
    nice work thanks a lot !!!

i have LG 27MA53 TV monitor
    my LG with .....ccc lock 75 HZ without CRU

[​IMG]

before

[​IMG]

after

[​IMG]

2. ToastyX

ToastyX Guest

GPU:
    S3 ViRGE
    Do not add an HDMI 2.0 support data block. Make sure Windows is set to 75 Hz before running the demo. Turn VSync off in the demo and make sure you're not seeing any tearing. If you see tearing, then FreeSync is not working. If it's not working, try 59-75 Hz to make sure 60 Hz is included. If the screen blacks out when you do that, then the monitor can't handle FreeSync.

3. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    Thank you Onna! This is a REALLY good find... works on my 120Hz BenQ non-FS CRT! Much credit to you man!!

Don't let yourself be called troll by the real trolls, just ignore them ;-)
    It's sad how people can be like this, but it won't change here unfortunately.
    Just let them pay 200$ extra for their G-Sync monitors... if it makes them happier.

And yeah, really, thanks again for the FREEsync!
    Your positivity leads to this good stuff, nothing else.
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

4. ToastyX

ToastyX Guest

GPU:
    S3 ViRGE
    You only need to use CRU. You need an HDMI support data block, a FreeSync range data block, and a detailed resolution for the maximum refresh rate.

Right now the only way to get FreeSync working with DVI is to make the driver think the monitor is HDMI, which limits this to single-link data rates. To make this actually work with DVI, the driver would have to be modified, which won't be easy to do.

This will not work with any DVI monitor. The reason this works with the Catleap is because it doesn't have a scaler. LCD monitors usually have scalers that get in the way. This is why the scaler chips have to be updated to handle FreeSync. It might work if the monitor has a scaler that can handle variable vertical blanking and longer blanking intervals.

5. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    THX :)

No, it's not working on me ! I have strong Positive FireWall always ON :hatty:
    Besides im just :kind:

Please don't forget ATI/AMD & ToastyX -> :thumbup:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  6. gupsterg

gupsterg Guest

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX
    Found your thread a weekish ago, I had picked up an Asus MG279Q and looking for info on FS range mod.

Sweet share :thumbup: .

Nice you have Firewall ;) .

You are :007: for sure :D .

I have Dell U2515H sitting around, so shall I test with HDMI?

And thanks ToastyX for CRU, hoping to mod the Asus MG279Q FS range with your tool ;) :D .

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  7. ToastyX

ToastyX Guest

GPU:
    S3 ViRGE
    The Dell U2515H can't handle higher refresh rates without skipping frames. Frame-skipping monitors probably won't handle FreeSync correctly.

Editing the FreeSync range is different with DisplayPort monitors. Use the "Edit..." button at the top to set the range, and make sure "Include if slot available" is checked.

8. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    @gupsterg
    Yeah :007: 007 is my Middle name (I like to find something usefull and then Share)
    THX for the Good Word :cyclone:

And Please share it in www.overclock.net for everybody :)

UFF i'm tired now, i need some rest (Playing Games) to regain my Stamina :kermit:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  9. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    OnnA ia a good guy and tries to push boundries. While I will not actually end up using this tweak I was and am more then happy to have worked on it and get some of the early kinks worked out.

Literally we were trying to complete a jigsaw puzzle without know what it looks likes and placing random pieces down and adjusting random settings as well as trying to figure out how this was actually working which we all did.

A big thanks to OnnA, ToastyX and the AMD driver team as well as AMD taking the long view in development.

10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Yeah we need to push forward, and ATI/AMD just gave us another free Feature !

11. CRTFTW

CRTFTW Active Member

GPU:
    radeon 380x X2
    Now way in hell this actually works on a CRT. CRT's always blank out for a second or two when switching refresh rates. So if the refresh rate switches 60 or so times a second, you'd just have a blank monitor, probably clicking like crazy and wearing it out.

12. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    FreeSync On CRT is a little different, it do the Job well but it's not changing Refresh dynamicaly !
    On LCD/LED is a must to maitain tearing Free experience.
    On CRT its just maitain better FPS/Frame Times output i called this behaviour Corrected Frame Sync.

And Yes on CRT you can't see the Tearing at all (its LCD/LEDs downside), but when you have less than 50FPS you can notice "Heavy Frames" -> But with FreeSync ON this is far less noticable it 'feels' smooth regardless :)

13. ToastyX

ToastyX Guest

GPU:
    S3 ViRGE
    FreeSync is not the same as switching refresh rates. FreeSync keeps the pixel clock steady and adjusts the vertical blanking on the fly. If you've ever used PowerStrip's advanced timing options with a CRT, you can see that the timing parameters can be adjusted in real-time without the monitor blanking out.

14. gupsterg

gupsterg Guest

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX
    Don't wish to go higher Hz ;) , just wish to test say 35-60Hz range :) , just wish to see OnnA's FS on non FreeSync monitor ;) .

Yep, got the info already (I have good googlefu :thumbup:) . I won't upload screenie due to thread topic, but got 57-144Hz working on MG279Q thanks to your tool :thumbup: . So quick and easy with CRU vs this manual method.

15. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Amazing job, ToastyX.

I tried all sorts of solutions posted to trick the AMD driver into thinking my Qnix QX2710 is an HDMI monitor to no avail. I imported hdmi.dat from the CRU thread, added my own HDMI block (with default and non-default options), added and removed a FreeSync Range block, etc... used restart64.exe after doing changes, unplugged and plugged in monitor, rebooted, unplugged and plugged in. It still shows up as a DVI monitor.

The 7970 does not support FreeSync in games (only in video playback) but it should regardless be able to read the display as an HDMI display after these overrides, no?

Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

16. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Hi
    As I can see it can be done with almost all monitors(or I am wrong?).

So probably will work with my benq 2720 but do not know it is worth it as I use BBR and it suits me with 120Hz with VT tweak from CRU.

Anyone tried to combine both? Freesync with BBR or other strobing technique?

17. prazola

prazola Member Guru

GPU:
    R9390XSOC / R9290DCU2OC
    Do you think an old HP w2216 will support this?
    Im stable at 85Hz without frame skipping, but the panel is old (2008 i think) and idk if it can switch vblank without flickering or blanking out.
    Is there a fast way to test vblank switching on fly? Is powerstrip still supported and compatible with w10? Thx

18. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    Honestly we do not know. It has to be tried. Making the changes will not hurt anything and can always easily be undone.

19. prazola

prazola Member Guru

GPU:
    R9390XSOC / R9290DCU2OC
    I'm just tasting the ground because I'm outside now. I'll try for sure, but is powerstrip still usable in w10 (just to test vblank)?

EDIT:
    ok, I'm not on dual link.
    DVI Single link, 85Hz, 1680x1050. CRU is fine: HDMI support (max 340MHz) and freesync range (60-85Hz).
    Freesync enabled in crismon, AMD freesync demo shows only 60fps option and with FS on, VS off the tearing is visible. Monitor problem or config problem?
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8025211/HPW2216_FS.bin

20. b0uncyfr0

b0uncyfr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gaming XXX 1070
    OK i will be trying this is 45 minutes. Extremely nice work everyone. I have a S24C750PS and cant wait.!! The steps are aren't as clear though atm.:banana: