The GTX 1070 Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, May 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJSmak

DJSmak Member

GPU:
    GTX680 2GB 1250Mhz
    Looking at upgrading to a 1070 today and I'm torn between cards....

Ocuk have a Zotac FE with 5yrs warranty for £368 and Scan have the Palit GameRock with 2yrs warranty for £375.

Tempted to go with the Zotac with its 5yr warranty but the FE cooler is a concern as I plan to OC and noise levels are important.

What is the general opinion on the FE cooler when oc'ed?

2. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    If you plan on keeping the card for more than 2 years then the Zotac with that huge warranty is a good option.

As for OC, from what I understand you can get the same clock on core regardless if it's FE or custom card (silicon lottery). However you can get better OC on memory on custom cards, with the better cooler and all. I can not 100% this, as I never had a FE.

Regardless, if you have a very good airflow in your case, the FE will perform better, both stock and OC.

3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Times, they are a changing...

[​IMG]

Time to update my profile...

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Nice upgrade! enjoy :D

5. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    got the samsung one, guess im ok?

[​IMG]

6. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Well guys, it is with heavy heart I say that as of tomorrow, my 7950 will retire...got myself a MSI 1070 Armor OC coming tomorrow after getting a deal from Ebuyer, £388 + free Saturday delivery. This is my first expensive GPU purchase since an 8800 Ultra back in 2007!

Resisted the urge for so long, but I am sure its going to be a big jump for me!

7. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Funny thing,

I got my 1070 FTW from Ebuyer and this morning, out of the blue, they sent me a redemption code for Gears of War 4.

Three clicks later and with no hassle whatsoever, I am downloading Gears of War 4 from the Windows Store.

I didn't ask for it, I didn't request it, I was not aware this was a deal or an offer or anything; but I welcome it :)

8. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Enjoy it guys cause it's a really nice card. You will take it for granted within a week.

9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Totally.

Benchmarks to me are now an abstract concept.

It's reminds me of when I drove a Subaru Impreza P1; I didn't drive towards the Horizon, I pulled it towards me and it knelt at my tyres, praying.

This is an awesome card, simply awesome.

10. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Looking forward to playing DOOM without the fans at 4000RPM :D

11. mjorgenson

mjorgenson Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW-RX 480
    My EVGA GTX 1070 FTW blew up....:3eyes:

Wasn't even playing a game and it was not OC'd.....Was just surfing the web and through the case window I saw a spark/arc/smoke coming out from between the backplate where the 8-pins are. And then black screens.

Already got the replacement from EVGA...and I have to say, their CS kicks arse! So now all is good in my world.

12. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Could have been a short between Backplate and Solder Pins?

13. G*addict

G*addict Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    Just received my new MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC from Ebuyer. GPU-Z is reporting Samsung memory modules so hopefully it's a good one.

Time to start catching up on my backlog.

14. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Same here! Happy 1070 Day!

Just finishing reinstalling everything (new SSD for good measure) and I will do a build and bench post.

15. G*addict

G*addict Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    15,106 in 3DMark Fire Strike here, all default nothing overclocked. A slight improvement on the 6000 my old GTX670 used to get.

Liking it so far, it's running cool and quiet too. Happy days indeed!

16. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    Don't the AIBs have control over the memory vendor? This is also clearly a case of a Micron issue since their products can't operate properly at their rated spec.

17. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Just putting together a quick build post, card arrive early Saturday morning and installed same time as putting in my new SSD:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Larger than the 7950, but not massively, no worries about it fitting into my case. I went for the Armor as it has the same PCB (so I read) as the Gaming X, but it lacks the Twin Frozr, the backplate and loses the 6 pin PCI-E and runs on a single 8 pin. Not a problem, as I have a don't have a side panel and it sits besides my desk out of sight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not spent too much time playing with it, but here is the GPU-Z screenshot for out the box settings. Looks like mine has Samsung memory, so I have avoided the whole Micron issue:

[​IMG]

As a comparison, below are my 7950 FireStrike and TimeSpy scores, at 1110/1600:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And now the 1070 at stock:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sure, I will take a near 10,000 point increase in score on FireStrike and a near triple jump in Time Spy! It is worth noting too, that according to Afterburner, the 1070 was actually running at 1949MHZ Boost clock, so an extra 200 on top of the 1747MHZ its rated on the box. The hottest temp was 58c, and the fans didn't even turn on! I think that alone is worth the price of admission coming from the 7950, which would hit 73/74c at about 70% Fan Speed (3500~ RPM). I am going to bump the Power Limit to 108% (max in Afterburner) and stick another 100MHZ on the Core and Memory so it matches the 1070 Gaming Z and see how that goes. Looking forward to gaming on it and see what is capable of! :D

18. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Amazon sent me a new GTX 1070 after I contacted their CS and it has Samsung VRAM :) I guess the Micron thing was only in a few batches as it has the same model number and is also made in China. BIOS does have a slight difference. Here are their GPU-Z readouts.

Samsung
    [​IMG]
    Micron
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Congrats PNeV welcome to the club. Couldn't wait on Vega any longer?

20. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Sammy chips FTW! Enjoy oc'ing those lil munstas! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.