Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Turbo OC 8G

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Gigabyte added a new revision of the GeForce GTX 1080 to their line-up. The card has a newsly styled cooler, more in line with the traditional design, it looks pretty goood though. The card is factory...

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Turbo OC 8G

2. DrHansGruber

DrHansGruber Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700 XT
    How much of a difference in cooling performance would it make if the left out the DVI port and gave the card more breathing space?

3. Ridiric

Ridiric Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti @2100Mhz
    Honestly i have been waiting for this to happen with blower style coolers for a while now, HDMI and DP are on pretty much everything these days, would be nice to see the DVI port disappear, surely it would improve performance for blower cards.

4. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    > One-click overclocking

Yea, ~25 mhz lol

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    100% AGREED!!!

It would definitely improve airflow for the blower style cards. Meaning lower temps at slower fan speeds and in turn less noise as we all know these things can sound like a jet engine.

DVI is barely used anymore these days and with everything going towards 4k then HDMI 2.0 and DP are a must have, DVI is just second fiddle really.

6. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    some of us still on the qnix monitors that do not have 500-700 to spend on a 144hz monitor still need DVI and i need a minimum of 27inch 1440p

7. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    I am sorry for spoiling all the fun, but you are quite mistaken on blower fans being that much restricted by small vents.
    Don't judge blower fan the same as the standard axial fan. The latter depends on open vents because it is relatively "low pressure", whereas the former is a "high pressure" fan.

You can think of (just for the same of argument) about a compressor or a turbocharger on a car's engine. They rely on blower (centrifugal) fans, and you can guess require quite small air lines and vents.

So enlarging vents on blower-fan video card (or removing the grill altogether) will not result in any increase of performance. May be (just may be) it will allow to shave off 2-3dbs of sound, but that's it.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  8. Hughesy

Hughesy Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 980
    I love it when people say nobody uses DVI anymore just because they don't... As has been pointed out though, having a bigger vent won't give any lower temps at all with these types of coolers.

9. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Dvi isn't dead but if you're buying this class of card u really shouldn't need it if u can spend 700$ on a video card u should be able to spend 5-600$ on a 4K panel in my opinion Dvi should stick to low/mid end cards from now on.

10. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    This
    I can still upgrade my video card and use my old 27in 3d vision 2 monitor. If they got rid of dvi, there would be no upgrading a video card for me. Just bought a new TV so a new monitor won't be for a long time, especially at the ridiculous prices. My 55in IPS 4k HDR tv cost me $1,000 (on sale from$1,200), but a new monitor would cost me $800+

11. Ridiric

Ridiric Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti @2100Mhz
    The thing is though, we aren't suggesting to replace DVI on all cards, just blower cards, which means you would still be able to get a new card, in this case we can have our cake and eat it too. And honestly its about time we start seeing some cards with no DVI, there will still be plenty of other cards with DVI as well so nobody looses, you have choice instead.

As far as it not effecting temps, I'm going to test this, i have an old GTX 570 blower which has fully open vent, i will tape shut one half of the vent to simulate a DVI port blocking it and see how it effects temperatures, that should put this theory to rest.

**may take me a while to run the test as i need to get the card back off a friend i lent it to ages ago**

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016