Thinking about delidding

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by stereoman, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    I have seen the delid videos of soldered chips, but personally I wouldn't do it because the risk/reward ratio is not good.

Making sure the IHS and cooling block are perfectly flat to ensure maximum contact is probably the only action I would take.

Zooke.

2. Subaru Swift

Subaru Swift Guest

GPU:
    1060 6gb STRIX OC
    brave man but good job in the end. I too would like to delid my 4770k but I am too worried to try it, pity someone near me can not do it or maybe I should ask overclockers to see if they can do it for me ;).

3. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    I live not too far from Bromsgrove, but doing someone elses chip is a big step from doing my own.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat about it.

4. Subaru Swift

Subaru Swift Guest

GPU:
    1060 6gb STRIX OC
    cheers for the offer. I will have a think about it. big step delidding these cpus.

5. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    It's only a small step really, but because of the risk of damaging an expensive part it seems bigger.
    Of course, you have to be willing to throw more voltage at the chip too in order to get the full benefits.
    So, if 1.3xx volts going through your chip scares you then you might as well leave it as it is. Plus, you will need a decent manual OC.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016