ReCore (2016)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by fr33jack, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    I want this game but for $25 ish max. Is there any other way of getting it than Windows store? They have monopoly on price there...

2. mbushnaq00

mbushnaq00 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 980 Ti 6GB
    even in the payment confirmation page it says $149! Its a risk that I cannot take, the developer/publisher are not replying to any email I sent, I highly doubt I will be getting my refund.

If I change the country to US then it shows the correct price, but I don't know if it will work after that.

3. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    Some have attempted to describe this game as belonging to a bygone era (1999-2005) and being a gamer during that period I can agree with that idea.

The game borrows a lot from old school game design, the platforming, the gathering of various items, the "gamey" aesthetic so much despised nowadays, the cute sidekick (Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank), the very arcadey feeling to the combat.
    The only elements setting ReCore in the modern ear of gaming design are the levelling mechanism and the incomplete open world. It's barren (the game takes place in a remote planet how convenient) and there is very little to do gameplay wise, what systems are there to support that open world structure ?
    It seems at such fundamental odds with how fast-paced the game is, how purposefully simplistic and direct it seems to have been designed in the first place, I can only speculate that the open world has been added very late in the developpment under the pressure of Microsoft.

Unfortunately it ends up making the game strenuous and highly repetitive. The art team evidently has not been staffed to support such a relatively large open world so the same textures are repeated X times making the game further samey, travelling is not very rewarding at all systems or visual wise.

Speaking of visuals the game looks decent enough. I knew what I was heading into anyway. Not all games need to be 70-80 million USD and the graphics are not an issue in this case.
    The game is rather polished from what I played, a few lights switching off, AO sometimes disabling itself (in dungeons), nothing to report aside from that.

I will probably end up enjoying this game but its reception is no mystery. There is a good, tight game underneath burried under publisher constraints and modern gaming design goals.
    Sometimes less is more.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The game is only 7 GB, I believe, so it looks my PC just redownloaded the entire game last night! Is it any wonder that people hate the Windows Store so much...?

7. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The patch is out now, 16 GB in size. :)

8. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    that should be 5min DL for me

9. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    tried the game now , the DLC is up now , HDR option isn't available for some reason , maybe if i connected an HDR display it will

10. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Well I do have a 100/100 connection but even Steam is more consistent and reliable than UWP though I guess that while it isn't shown as such the extreme drops in speed is because it's actually writing to the existing files similar to Steam when it's done with the actual download and starts updating the existing content which can take quite some time for the bigger games. :D

Heh few years ago it felt a bit over the top to go for the highest available speed but with some games now approaching 100 GB in size it might actually start coming into more use, unfortunately as this isn't a more central or urban area in a bigger city going faster isn't possible at the moment though 250/250 is a bit tempting if it ever becomes available ha ha. (At least the monthly caps are mostly gone outside of mobile phone bandwidth, taking a few hours to download something is still better than not having a option to download it at all because there's some extreme quota in place.)

Well time to see how the game is, although it doesn't seem like there's some actual changelog available and instead they're talking about it in more broad terms such as how T4nk is finally available as a robotic companion and I think one additional area and two dungeons? Something like that. :) (And as a free update for existing owners.)

11. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    oh this game is on Steam ? didn't know that :(

speaking of connection speeds i think you can get a super fast connection by combining multiple connections (if your neighbors agree :p )

12. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Ah no it was just a comparison between UWP (Win10 Store.) and Steam as digital distribution clients. :)

There's some hope for the game arriving on Steam eventually though but so far it's Win Store exclusive, not really sure how these things are decided or how long these deals tend to be in place but I would assume it's around a year unless it's fully controlled by the publisher (Microsoft in this case.) though with Killer Instinct getting a Steam release even first party published games do have a chance.

Think Ori2 is also going to be UWP exclusive initially but a Steam release after that isn't entirely ruled out, Age of Empires remaster is also being mentioned since the previous was released on Steam but this one is going to be exclusive for at least a period of time.

Win10 Store app itself still has room for improvement though, they're going to need games too but the app and environment they're using for storage and all that could do with some improvements. :)

13. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Another update was released, since this one is only 13 GB it probably just fixes some minor issues. :D

EDIT:
    Version number:
    1.1.7400.2 -> 1.1.7448.2
    (Which, doesn't really say much.)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  14. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    While this game is certainly not bad, it is disappointing to find that after a 16 and then a 13 GB patch, just days apart, that the game is still lacking in overall polish with texture pop in, broken geometry, slowdown during auto saves (on an SSD, no less) and regular clipping (through the ground when moving the camera) being just a few things I've noticed off the top of my head. It feels like an Early Access game at times, although it does have its moments of fun.

15. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    This was free on the W10 store and the XB1 a few days ago by mistake, so grabbed it on the XB1, go off line and complete the game, same thing happened with the Fallout 4 seaosn pass. :D

Feel's like a bordelands clone but without the cell shading. ...although i am not a fan of that tug of war thing, that got old fast.