The GTX 1070 Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, May 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcvampire

marcvampire Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1070
    what is the benefit of flashing to Gamerock premium? Just better clocks, or other differences?

2. marcvampire

marcvampire Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1070
    playing about with the palit now. If Unigine Valley hangs/crashes during testing/benchmarking does that indicate clocks are too high? I got 2039 out of it and it seemed fine running in normal mode but the benchmark hung 3 times and then on the 4th the program crashed.

Edit: furmark does the same thing albeit a lot less often so I guess it is the clocks. At the moment I've only managed +85 on core. +600 on memory but haven't tried any further yet. Power usage keeps going over 100 so the clocks keep dialling Back even though it's set to 114%.

2nd edit, seems Afterburner wasn't OCing properly, was not increasing voltage or power past 100% even though they were both set to max, but then i used Thundermaster and now Afterburner works properly.

Still can't get a better overclock though, sometimes even +85 causes valley to hang. At the moment i've turned off all overclocking, as it doesn't really need it, everything runs at over 100fps!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  3. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Guest

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    Was under the impression that MSI has quality materials when making their cards as well. I got one with the good memory chip though, And it's my first msi card and it's performing with what I've expected and looked and felt in good quality.

Maybe I'll look into palit with my next card, everybody on the forum raves about them.:nerd:

4. ahmlet

ahmlet Member

GPU:
    980 ti g1gaming
    How is the 1070 g1 gaming? I can get this one at good price in my country

5. Digika

Digika Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    I'm a little bit confused. Noticed that enabling DSR drop my refresh rate to nominal 60HZ while my usual RR is moderately higher. Is it a bug of new drivers or normal behaviour for 1070 chip?

Don't recall this happening on my old 670.

6. KayserKay

KayserKay Member

GPU:
    Palit Super JS GTX 1070
    I have the Palit 1070 Super Jetstream. It´s an 400% improvement over my EVGA GTX 970 SC. It´s silent, fast, boosts to 2073 mhz, improved image quality, overall sharper more detailed picture, everythings seems to be more in the face, there is more black contrast with the same DVI cable and Monitor. It´s just WOW!
    And it´s super smooth ... I think it´s called frame time (I am not an expert) steady, fluid frames. Everything is more "alive" looking.
    I´ve played American Truck Simulator with my old 970 and it dropped to 40 fps everytime when there was a lot of traffic in one place or at night with all the light effects all on ultra and 400% Scaling. Temperature went up to over 62C and annoying fan noise and heat. With the 1070 no more fps drops, even in large cities with loads of traffic, silent, cool (8-10% fan speed) 52-54C. I´m amazed, so much fun now to play this game!!!

7. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    G1 has rather noisy cooler compared to rest.

8. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Had a G1 Gaming so I can confirm too that the cooler is noisier compared to cards with 2 bigger fans since its using 3 smaller fans.

But that's at higher rpm's. Cooling wise was about the same vs e.g Palit SJS with 2 big fans.

Both maxed out at 62-64'C@100% fan(summer ambient temps) iirc.

If its the only option and price wise is cheaper than other others, its a good card nonetheless.

9. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060 laptop
    Yeah i'd like to know as well.

10. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    I have flashed my strix oc which has default nvidia clocks to the strix 0g8,
    which has a a base clock of 1633mhz and 1835 boost.
    But first i did a lot of research to make sure that both have the same gpu + mem phases,vrms,caps etc.

I would not risk flashing a PALIT SUPER JETSTREAM with the Gamerock premium bios,unless you do some research for components used as i did.
    Also they might be binning their Gamerock premium gpu's and may have better quality components.

Not every single piece of silicone produced is identical and you might be risking causing instability and crashes, if it is not stable.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016

11. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    Im fine with my defaul SJS, as long as i can run it beyond 2Ghz stable :V
    Also, what's the power limit of the gamerock premiums? i would assume it's higher than the SJS 114% ?

12. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    I agree on the research. It must always be done beforehand.

And just like MSI Armor/Gaming/X/Z and Strix/OC, the Palit Jetstream/SJS/Gamerock/Gamerock Premium/Gainward Pheonix/GS/GLH are all identical cards(same pcb) afaik.

Just different clocks/coolers/fans used etc.

And quite positive that no special binning is made besides the lowest leakage chips going into the higher end sku's. :thumbup:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  13. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090
    I like my Palit Jetstream as it is. Got really good numbers stressing testing and clocking. But under normal gaming it's all good...
    I am considering water cooling it.. but Palit has a void warrranty policy if the stock cooler is removed..

http://imgur.com/a/JaD8n

14. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Same with asus unfortunately. Should be a thing to consider for future buyers.

15. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Guest

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    :pc1:I've been on the lastest drivers and have noticed some screen tearing in just videos not in game or anything and I have Forced V-sync and still have the issue, anyone else exp the same issues, and would this be driver related>?.

16. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    They (and others) likely do this, so they can sell their own waterblocked card, instead of letting another cooler manufacturer a turn profit. Don't know if it's the case of Palit though, can't remember seeing such a custom card from them.

17. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    I'm not sure I understand. Why is the image quality better?
    Also, 62C is not hot...
    Either way, I'm glad you like your card and trucking!

18. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Managed to get my Dell at 70hz CVT-RB..vsynced GTA 5 and Witcher 3 are awesome.Running clocks in sig, driver XG368.69...card max temp at 45C. :D

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  19. No1True

No1True Guest

GPU:
    Just a quick question, so I decided to ask it here.

If I use msi afterburner for my 1070... I change memory clock +20 or +50.. And then open msi kombustor v3.5. And press gpu monitoring (small window appears) It does shows that my current memory has been risen!

If I do the same with core clock, that small window does not update.. doesnt show anything.. :| Any idea why?
    P.S. I more core clock bit too much because of this. and windows froze.. So.. I guess OC worked, but havent been displayed for some reason?

20. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    I might jump ship here.

So whats the real world FPS difference between the 1080 and 1070. I'm aware of the benchmarks but I'd like real world numbers, which I trust more. I'm planning on moving my 7990 into my I7 920 rig for the kids.

Is it worth the extra 200 for a 1080 or can I overclock to close to 1080 performance with a 1070?

Not looking for 4K gaming. Maybe VR with the Vive at the most.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.