HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Make sure you are using the latest version from the download link in the NPI thread. The DL Link automatically goes to the latest built build.

Try doing a file search for them I guess.

2. pedigrew

pedigrew Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980TI Lightning
    Dll editing was removed in latest drivers, the files are located in Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_d3851cb7c8216f9e but they don't work on my side. Using win 10 btw.

3. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Well that sucks. Using latest drivers and am having success improving the Bioshock flag for Bioshock Remastered here on W7. (Removing bleeding, increasing strength)

4. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti

5. robgrab

robgrab Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080 8GB
    I just noticed AO is supported in the NVIDIA Control Panel for Bioshock Remastered without having to use NVIDIA Inspector. I also haven't noticed any decrease in speed or bleeding. Here is a quick comparison.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/184741

6. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    It uses the same flag as before. But it does actually bleed a bit.

I just finished modding the flag to fix issues and make it a little stronger.

=Bioshock Remastered=

0x00020000 (Modified)

Original Flag Values
    Modified Values
    No AO Bleeding 1 Bleeding 2 Baggage Door Statue Museum Tunnel

Unmodified AO Bleeding 1 Bleeding 2 Baggage Door Statue Museum Tunnel Bleeding 3

Modified AO Bleeding 1 Bleeding 2 Baggage Door Statue Museum Tunnel Bleeding 3

7. derdante

derdante New Member

GPU:
    GTX 275 896 MB
    I've tried these flags as well and they seem stronger than the other flags mentioned in this thread. Maybe it would be enough for you to try another one.

Here's a comparison:
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/184771
    On mouse over is yours.

8. robgrab

robgrab Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080 8GB
    That's great but is it possible for me to do that under Windows 10? A previous post said that editing was recently removed.

9. Gitaroo

Gitaroo Member

GPU:
    Geforce 670/2 gigs
    you sure bioshock is working? I think the game has ssao support out of the box, or it could the flag that I left on for the original that forces AO for the remaster too

10. robgrab

robgrab Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080 8GB
    It uses the same executable so yes.

11. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Game has no AO, lighting is all baked.

HBAO+ works because game uses same .exe name as original game. So it's already part of the profile in the drivers.

Easy to see example
    https://abload.de/img/noao13goj3.jpg
    https://abload.de/img/modedao22esbw.jpg
    Look under bags, lit pillar slightly to the left and then the corner to the far left.

I don't know about W10, but works fine including modifying the flag in W7 to remove bleeding and increase strength.

Also: I only had time to try the Resident Evil 5 flag for Dead Rising. It's pretty problematic. Has same issue as RE5 with the sky in some cutscenes as well as being too strong in the distances and some other stuff.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  12. NoctisHD

NoctisHD Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    When I use the original Bioshock flag for Bioshock Remastered is doesn't work great.

It flickers on and off at many points during playing.

It's just not worth using because of this.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  13. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Resolution/AR? Not running into that issue at 1080p here with the flag modified.

Couldn't say about unmodified. Though in my testing, I couldn't get it to flicker on and off at all as well. It would only not work in one of the extra content missions.

14. robgrab

robgrab Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080 8GB
    NVIDIA just released new drivers (372.90) and under New Features it says:
    - This version of the driver adds security updates for driver components.

I assume this is why we can't edit flags under Windows 10 any more. I think it started with the Windows Anniversary update because after I installed the Anniversary update it wouldn't let me roll back to previous versions of the driver. Oh well.

Also, I just reached Arcadia in Bioshock Remastered and the default flag has a LOT of bleeding issues because of all the smoke and atmospheric haze.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  15. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Interesting, that sounds very plausible.
    However you can of course always disable the Windows update service, and manually install an older driver.
    For example 361.91 works fine on my system with the Win 10 Anniversary update (build 1607).
    Only installed graphics driver and PhysX software BTW.

In general I recommend following the instructions in this small document, to allow optimal Windows 10 functionality and gain some "freedom" from Microsoft's constant updating circus:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i92JU5_Zf_CrDxMbH9oX8aJV4aIWvhQ23edYjIRrDdE/edit

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016

16. NoctisHD

NoctisHD Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    I'm running at 1080p and it's during the main game the AO goes on and off sometimes.

I'm on Windows 10 so I'm using the unmodified flag. Maybe it's just with the unmodified one or it's a GTX 1080 issue or a windows 10 issue. I dunno.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  17. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Security measures huh? Considering I just saw ManuelG active in a thread for the first time in what feels like forever.. I can't help but wonder if they finally noticed.

What do they have to lose by letting us hex-edit some .DLLs?
    That's just a kick in the dick.

18. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Agreed, but I more blame Microsoft for such drastic measures really :(

BTW, did you retest BioShock Remastered at 3840x2160 resolution?
    This might reduce the bleeding issues with "0x00020000"?

19. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    In my experience usually bleeding gets worse with higher resolution because the effect becomes stronger/has more precision.

At least in the cases i've tried. You could always try other flags though.

20. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Man, this is going to suck in the future when new GPUs come out and you can't modify flags because of this crap.

I mean, if they gave us the tools to make custom flags and all that stuff on a per game basis we wouldn't need it. But they don't, and official support is spotty. Ugh..might as well call it quits lol.