HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    You'd think AMD could come up with a better AO technique by now. It's starting to get old. FFS even the Mass Effect PS4Pro video was still using HDAO. Looked terrible.

People like to bitch about Nvidia but AMD sure doesn't seem to care to try and compete when it comes to a lot of stuff.

At least it doesn't look nearly as bad as it did during the e32015 reveal. Dear lord they had AO turned up to 11 in that one.

2. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    FB3 have an option of using HBAO (not the superior NV's HBAO+ however) at least. DXMD don't.

3. Scorpio82Co

Scorpio82Co Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1070 G1 8GB
    i found a flag work very well in Castlevania LOS_UE

0x0000000E (Race Driver Grid)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. DirtyDan

DirtyDan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Which ever one they were using. It didn't look good lol.

SW:BF's AO looked bad too.

6. robgrab

robgrab Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080 8GB
  7. robgrab

robgrab Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080 8GB
    Disregard my previous post. For some reason it would crash immediately after the opening cutscene once it transitions into gameplay (photo mode from the helicopter). So I disabled the flag and played the game until I got to a save point within the mall. Loading from my save game everything works fine now.

8. Dr4Wm4N

Dr4Wm4N Member Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 3090
  9. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    This is actually a somewhat common issue with certain combinations of newer GPU hardware and operating systems.
    For example does the "Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate" HBAO+ flags also refuse to work on my 980 Ti's in Windows 10 with my Asus 4K monitor:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4793399&postcount=204

Perhaps it would be worth it to run "Dead Rising" in DX9, and give HBAO+ testing another go?

10. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Bioshock default AO flag from 372.70 seems to work with BS1Remastered but the performance hit is pretty massive for the results it provides.

11. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I'm not seeing the performance hit here on my 980 in W7

Will post shots.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/184657
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/184658

Dead Rising is unfortunately a new DX11 port only of a decade old 360 game (DX9'ish).

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  12. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    That's because you're running locked to 30 fps. From the GPU load you can see that it's +40-90% GPU load for what is a very subtle effect.

13. robgrab

robgrab Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080 8GB
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/184657
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/184658

Wow, these are EXTREMELY subtle. From what I remember the old flags produced a much stronger and very noticeable difference. If I also remember correctly it had some serious bleeding issues through fog. To me, the lighting in this new remaster looks so much better that I don't really think it needs AO since the environments don't look as flat. I'm just curious if there's access to the depth buffer this time since some subtle DoF would be a nice addition. I kinda doubt it though since from what I can tell it seems to be using the same engine, albeit modified.

EDIT: BTW here is the original post I made testing different flags on the original Bioshock. You can click through tabs #1 through #8 to see a variety of environments.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5004436&postcount=1408

14. derdante

derdante New Member

GPU:
    GTX 275 896 MB

15. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    No not really. It's less than a 5% increase in GPU usage. That's actually on the low side from my experience, even at 30FPS.

I've never seen GPU load go above 20% with or without HBAO+ enabled at these settings so far.

I don't see how you can get it's a +40% increase when in these shots it only increases 3-5% over not using the effect. There's only one example shot here where you can extrapolate a 40% increase and that's in the shot that is only using 7% to begin with. Which is at the beginning of one of the challenge maps and you are in a very confined area.

You can always increase the strength of the effect from hex editing if you like.
    Added this. Thanks.

16. Dr4Wm4N

Dr4Wm4N Member Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 3090
    I finally achieved to activate HBAO+ in Dead Rising, the solution was to use exclusive fullscreen mode, and not borderless fullscreen mode where HBAO+ cannot be forced.

I found a third compatible flag for this game:

0x00090000 (Devil May Cry 4(DX10), Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition, Devil May Cry 4(DX9))

These three flags behave exactly the same, with similar performance hit.

I wanted to edit one of those flags to lessen the strength of the effect, but I couldn't find the nvwgf2umx.dll file in C:\Windows\System32\ anymore. Is it possible to mod the flags with the latest drivers?

17. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Are you using Windows 10? I wonder if it moved to a different location. I can still find it in Windows 7

18. robgrab

robgrab Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080 8GB
    Has anybody else had problems with NVIDIA Inspector crashing under Windows 10? I had to install an earlier version to edit profiles.

19. Dr4Wm4N

Dr4Wm4N Member Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 3090
    Yes, I use Windows 10 since its launch, but I remember I edited some Fallout 4 HBAO+ flags with the same OS, and the dlls were in the locations mentioned in the first page.