Display problem.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Cor9012, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Cor9012

Cor9012 Member

GPU:
    AMD 7970 GHZ Edition
    Hi I've just recently built my new PC and found that my RX 480 from Sapphire won't display any picture on my Qnix model monitor. Just random vertical lines of colour. Yet if I use the same HDMI port for my older monitor it works every time. It's also how I am viewing this forum with atm.

Now before I was using the same GPU on a older machine with the same drivers/cable and it was working fine on windows 10 64 pro.

I've tried DDU to remove drivers and tried past versions, swapped cables around. I thought maybe the monitor has died on me but it works fine on my old pc through HDMI and DVI (old pc has 7970 Ghz GPU in it).

PC specs (nothing is overclocked at the time being)

i7 6700K
    Maxiumus VIII hero motherboard
    16GB Corsair Ram
    Sapphire Rx 480 8GB
    Windows 10 pro.

I'm at a loss at why it's refusing to work after working so well before on the same GPU.

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Maybe i missed it, but did you try a different monitor that has DVI to see if it works?

Is your Qnix dual link or single link DVI, it may not support the former.

3. Cor9012

Cor9012 Member

GPU:
    AMD 7970 GHZ Edition
    Yep the Qnix is a dual link but works on my old pc with either DVI or HDMI. I left the specs of my old machine still in my profile.

I had the Sapphire RX 480 8gb card in that PC for a while using the same Qnix monitor using the HDMI output.

Just now that I built a new pc (specs in the first post) and used the same Rx 480 card the Qnix won't work but shows banding colours vertical down it. I've swapped the cables around to see if that was it maybe causing it but alas no.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Does it work outside of Windows, for POST / BIOS?

5. Cor9012

Cor9012 Member

GPU:
    AMD 7970 GHZ Edition
    Nah it's never shown the boot screen on it. Even on my old PC it would take it to load Windows to then display something.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    See if it works in safemode if you can't get it up in BIOS or POST, check if it's a driver problem or not

Use your other LCD to enter safemode, then switch monitors

7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    No i mean have you tested another DVI monitor on your 480

8. Cor9012

Cor9012 Member

GPU:
    AMD 7970 GHZ Edition
    Thanks I'll give that a try the now.

Yep tried 2 other ones on it. Currently using a iiyama monitor by HDMI output since this graphics card has no DVI outputs on it.

9. Cor9012

Cor9012 Member

GPU:
    AMD 7970 GHZ Edition
    Okay got into safe mode and soon as I connect the Qnix model it goes back to showing the vertical lines of colour.

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    So Qnix, display cables and GPU were all working fine together in a different machine, move all the above to the new machine but same config and you get coloured lines...

Tried a different PCIe slot?

BIOS updated to the latest for that motherboard?

11. Cor9012

Cor9012 Member

GPU:
    AMD 7970 GHZ Edition
    Yea if I knew the monitor wasn't going to work I would have bought a new one before getting the new PC :(

Just checking on the BIOS version and for updates then will try swapping the PCIe lane then.

12. Cor9012

Cor9012 Member

GPU:
    AMD 7970 GHZ Edition
    Okay I put my other iiyama monitor into the display port with an active display port adaptor. Like I had it setup in my old machine and now the Qnix model is running fine from the HDMI port.

I honestly have no clue why this is working but after hours of messing around I'm not complaining.

Thanks for the help and suggestions though. Really appreciate it :)

13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    The QNIX only supports dual link DVI. Dual LINK > HDMI inactive adapters do not exist.
    They fit but the extra pins on dual link are inactive(dual link uses 8 pairs of wire, hdmi only 4)

You have 2 options.

1. Buy dvi > hdmi active converter adapter(can be really expensive)
    Such as this https://sgcdn.startech.com/005329/media/products/gallery_large/MDP2DVID.Main.jpg

or

2. Buy a card with DVI support.

Frankly, your best bet is option 2.

You're probably not going to find an adapter that will support 100hz(i assume youre not at 60hz) at 1440P, not to mention this huge signal processing lag with active converters.