Sony PlayStation 4 Pro has a bit of AMD Polaris in it

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    And is still unable to play 4K blue ray disk at 4K ...

(notice that the fail is from Sony not from AMD :) )

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I hope in a year there's a h/w revision for this club sandwich. It's so unsightly lol. OG PS4 looks so good!

4. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Now, when consoles look more and more like PCs, I wonder when they'll be released on a regular basis, with different pricing&performance tiers, and games having minimum/recommended requirements listed.

5. Sunnijim

Sunnijim Guest

Seriously? Will it not play ultra HD blurays?

6. sovietwarbear

sovietwarbear Member

GPU:
    RTX3080 master 10gb
    hi

any one know if pro finaly got a SATA3 so SSD wil fast als in pc

7. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    No one knows, not the type of spec they'd advertise

8. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    From now on. (inspired by the tablet market, specifically iphone/ipad model).

Only needs to state "model" supported e.g. "PS4/PS4 Pro" or "PS4 PRO - only", not specs.

Perhaps for the console purists this will cause some backlash, but, for those who can afford to "upgrade", the experience will be "optimal".

From my perspective as a PC gamer, I think this is a good thing as long-term it will help to improve games coming to PC, especially when both upgraded PS4 and X1 systems are released.

9. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    Whoever thought the RX 480 is the new budget king of all GPU's... Well look at this!!! Given the fact that this is basically a RX 480 in this new PS4 Pro, selling for only 399. That GPU is 200 - 250USD by itself. This will be a very compelling console. I will even go as far as to say that if you have a PS4 (the normal one), sell it and get this one.
    4K however is a bit far fetched, however I think it is safe to say that looking at the hardware inside the new PS4 Pro, this is a good step up from the mainstream PC gaming sector. This is creeping into the high performance arena when you compare it to the PC sector.
    However don't keep your hopes up for 4K... That is a area that even current enthusiast PC's battle with.
    For a change it is good to see the console manufacturers trying to push for as much performance as possible at a compelling price.

10. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    Thinking of it now, I wonder how this will turn out for current RX 480 users. I mean if the game was a port from console to pc (the ones we all hate soooo much) and it was optimized for that Polaris GPU in the PS4 Pro then I wonder if you will see a gain if you have a Polaris GPU in your PC.

11. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Games totally looked awesome. too bad i dont have a 4k HDR tv though

12. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    i might wrong but
    - ps4 pro possible because AMD soc... on PS3 - CELL it seems making upgrade like now wasnt easy

- the 4K is more "partial support" ... beside it will likely upscale rather than true4K, i dont think there many dev. will use it especially those smaller game company

beside the new PS4 and PS4 pro... like sony said many times, game should perform same in any ps4 version...
    "But it’s important to note that the choice is yours. Whether you’re playing on PS4 Pro, the new slimmer and lighter PS4, or the PS4 system you bought at launch in 2013, you’ll have access to the same amazing games with the same features and same vibrant community that make PlayStation the best place to play. "

now i wonder, is it really worthed getting PS4 pro ? we cant say it future proof anyway

maybe some games will run 60fps on ps4 pro and only 30fps on ps4 ?
    now if so, then what sony said is half-lie ... because 30fps different is also a feature lol

13. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I believe initially that games that are 30fps locked on PS4 will also be on Pro. PS4 Pro would have to be extremely popular to change this policy, like, literally 50% ownership within 1yr.

14. DirkHardpeck

DirkHardpeck Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    A few observations:

1. Based on what I saw, in regards to framerate: future titles and some existing games are getting options, e.g. 30 fps lock with 4k upscaling, 60 fps at 1080p, 30 fps at 1080p with enhanced graphics. I am unsure how many games will support multiple settings like this, but it is interesting to see this gap between pc's and consoles close, where the user can determine their graphics settings based on preference and display capability.

2. We knew that 4k was going to be upscaled, which is like, big deal because you're just bypassing the TV's internal upscaler which is not even necessarily inferior. Well, it turns out that they are using some magic and trickery and the upscaled 4k supposedly looks quite good. Not quite up to native but definitely better than 1080p.

3. I'm with you guys, no 4k Blu-ray? I might actually have bought one of these just for the odd console exclusive and 4k blu-ray. I would probably have finally shelled out for a 4k tv. But you done f*cked it up Sony!

Edit: Oh yeah, 4. It's ugly as hell, isn't it?

15. bucknuts21

bucknuts21 Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB
    You can already upscale 1080p to 4k with a $30 seiki u-vision cable. I cant imagine the upscaling of the new PS/XBOX would be any more impressive.

16. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    I hope they get yearly updates like phones do, graphics-innovation will jump to the sky at this rate

something like star citizen could reach a far bigger audience at some point

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I do not, one only reason still have consoles is cause it cost less to maintain then pc, if it goes yearly like smartphones... I will stop with consoles cause at the point will be come much more expensive to keep up with then pc's

18. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    This +1.

19. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I must've been living under a rock, I honestly didn't even know there was UHD BR lol.

Anyway, I was watching The Know on youtube explaining some of the "4k" features. It actually sounds like it won't simply be 1080P upscaled, there will infact be higher resolution foundation like 1800P (some content) that is then upscaled to 4k. A few games will be real 4k. I heard nothing about offering 60fps @1080p, though (for PS4 games that are 30fps). However, apparently everyone who saw it said what they saw was a nice improvement over standard 1080P.

For the money, you can't complain tbh.

20. main_shoby

main_shoby Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    400$ is pretty darn cheap. I am a full time pc lover who's upgrade is overdue. the pc i want to build will cost me about $1800-2000 (again) and may not have as many games as PS4. Not that i buy pc's solely for gaming but high end GPU purchase is only for gaming.

I never owned a new generation console (that's anything after my sega lol) but if I dial down the gpu in my new pc and get a medium end gpu, i can easily save 400$ for a full ps4 pro system lol. Medium end gaming pc + Ps4 pro sounds pretty good to me VS just having a high end gaming pc.

[given current avg prices of GTX 1080 ~ $700 and GTX 1060 ~ $300]

Only con i see here is, I will have to get used to console style controllers? more space?
    thoughts?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016