Alien: Isolation

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by -Tj-, Mar 16, 2014.

1. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
  2. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    For anyone who played the DLC, are they worth it?

3. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    which site do yo u visit for reviews?

4. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    I use to visit IGN and other big ones. I still look at their scores, but every time I hear a reviewer take points off in a Horror survival game for being hard and too few save points, makes me question their tastes and therefore review score.

With Alien Isolation, you had a lot score the game 8/10+ then one or two bigger sites give it more like 6/10. I can understand some reviewers might not like this style of game, but they're reviewers. They should be able to appropriate it enough to review it for all people.

Right now, I like Eurogamer reviews, imho.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015

5. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    Even though I have played this game previously up to chapter 15 at 60 frames at all times, for some reason the frames will drop into the 30s and stay there permanently. It fixes on game restart or pc restart.

Doed that sound like some kind of driver issue because I just upgraded driver as it happened with the one I previously had and it didn't fix it.

6. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Despite this game over staying its welcome and having probably some of the most annoying gameplay ive ever experienced in a game, im determined to finish it.

However, i keep getting some gfx glitch where after a few seconds, the entire screen goes black with only a few lights still visible with audio still playing in the background.

Does anyone have a fix for this?

7. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    This one, seriously: threads like this, and posts in the Screenshot and Video dumps are way more helpful than "actual" reviews. If there's a game that I'm interested in but is somehow not mentioned here, I'll go sniff around other forums before I'll visit a review site. Maybe I just haven't yet found a good one?

8. ahmlet

ahmlet Member

GPU:
    980 ti g1gaming
  9. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    This works insanely well. hopefully we'll see more of these TAA mods for other games.

Some screens by the dev (it doesnt look as blurry in game, theres sharpening filter that can be adjusted):

OFF:

[​IMG]

ON:

[​IMG]

10. ahmlet

ahmlet Member

GPU:
    980 ti g1gaming
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    So is this only Alien Isolation specific or?

12. ahmlet

ahmlet Member

GPU:
    980 ti g1gaming
    As far as I know is specifically for this game. I`ll ask the author

13. aliasIsolation

aliasIsolation Guest

GPU:
    S3 Trio64V+
    Hi, author here :D

It's specific to Alien: Isolation, but the techniques used to make it and parts of the code can be translated to other DX11 games. Feel free to fork the code on github!

14. ahmlet

ahmlet Member

GPU:
    980 ti g1gaming
    If you have Alien: Isolation installed via Steam

Run aliasIsolationInjector.exe, then adjust video settings as described below.

If Steam is running, the mod will inject itself into it, and then launch the game. Then injection into Steam is necessary, as it is actually the Steam.exe process which launches the game. Even if AI.exe is started directly, it communicates with Steam, and then exits immediately, allowing Steam to launch it. In order to hook into the game, Alias Isolation hooks into Steam, and intercepts its CreateProcessW call, subsequently injecting itself into the child process. The only binaries that are injected into are Steam.exe and AI.exe.

In order to remove the hook from Steam, run detachAll.cmd.
    If you have a non-Steam version of Alien: Isolation

You need to point the injector to where the game is installed. This can be done by launching aliasIsolationInjector.exe with the install directory of the game as a parameter, for example:

aliasIsolationInjector.exe "C:\games\Alien Isolation"

Where "C:\games\Alien Isolation" is the directory containing AI.exe. No trailing backslash, please.

If no parameters are passed to the injector, it will read them from a file called args.cfg.

15. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    What happened to this guide? It had some tweaks for SKIN_SHADING and RADIOSITY.

16. aliasIsolation

aliasIsolation Guest

GPU:
    S3 Trio64V+
    I also just tried it, and couldn't spot any issues. I can't see a reason why the mods wouldn't play nicely with each other :) I tried responding to your PM, but the forums won't let me until I have 15 posts.

Edit: The most important thing is that SMAA T1x is the active anti-aliasing method in the game. Your mod defaults to SMAA T2x, but if you change back to T1x, it should be okay.

The instructions are in README.md which comes with every release; you can also find it on github: github.com/aliasIsolation/aliasIsolation/blob/master/README.md

I've just added some extra instructions for installing the mod (there basically are none other than saving the files somewhere).

17. aliasIsolation

aliasIsolation Guest

GPU:
    S3 Trio64V+
    Brilliant, thank you! :D

There may be a few edge cases which I haven't covered yet. TAA jitters the scene randomly a tiny bit every frame (that's how it does supersampling). That jitter can sometimes cause flickering; especially when it's patched into the game by messing with its constant buffers :p Some flickering could only be avoided if the devs took TAA into account -- e.g. depth of field needs special care. If I spot any easily fixable artifacts, I will fix them.

18. aliasIsolation

aliasIsolation Guest

GPU:
    S3 Trio64V+
    By the way, the same method which I used to hook the game's rendering can be used to add support for the recent Oculus SDK, thus making it work with CV1. The idea is that you substitute the original Oculus functions with new ones, and the new ones redirect the logic to the new SDK. It's like a translation layer, similar to LibOVRWrapper.

I have it kind of working, but I have been struggling with making it look right. Everything is slightly distorted, and the world/head appears to be tilted at a ~20 degree angle. Has anyone seen those issues with DK1 or DK2? I wonder whether it's the game doing something weird with the head transform, or if I bodged something in my translation layer.

19. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    This and the above is simply amazing!

If not already, please visit the Reshade boards and see if you can work your magic via Reshade and/or join the talented minds there :) -- http://reshade.me/

Thread on your tool here: http://reshade.me/forum/shader-suggestions/2276-so-taa-with-smaa-possible-with-shaders-seems-so

20. aliasIsolation

aliasIsolation Guest

GPU:
    S3 Trio64V+
    Thanks! :) I've replied in the linked thread.