Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.8.3 Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by realmadrid, Aug 31, 2016.

1. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    OhhhH! Strange but maybe due to me having the lower end card, or maybe cause i did the bios mod a while ago locking my UVD clocks with the 3d clocks at max. Something there must be making my experience a bit different i guess. Well just a shot in the dark but have you tried both the 32bit and 64bit versions of chrome and compared results? I only have the 64bit here.

2. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    I'm also on 64bit Chrome. Next Wednesday or Thursday I can confirm you if it's the same on my other 7870 (no boost) paired a with similar PhII CPU, but given that I've never noticed problems with 60fps play on YT with that machine, it should be using GPU accel too because the CPU can't cope with it.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  3. realmadrid

realmadrid Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050 TI MSI OC
    the problem is HW accel i have edge browser i can't disable HW accel i delete it now i am in chorme without HW accel i see the probleme is come or not

4. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Tried 16.8.3 in bf1 beta..and working great.

50+ fps with my system.

5. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    Ok, i was a little mistaken it seems. I just did some more testing with really high res 4k/60fps streams on youtube. I see now, it actually does use gpu when enabling the hardware acceleration in chrome.

But still hits my CPU pretty hard and doesn't hit the gpu all that much. Almost seems very un-optimized or something. The difference being about 55% cpu usage or something down to about 33%, with around 19% or so on the gpu.

Or maybe AMD driver and/or chrome just handles it that way for balance.

Don't know why i couldn't see that before, i must have not checked the HW-accel box and thought i did :bang: :) Sorry if i caused any confusion

6. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    That depends on whether the video is using h.264 or VP9, I guess. I might be wrong about that.

Also I'm not even using Chrome, I've gone full Edge :)D) and I get the same issue in that the clocks will get stuck at UVD at random times.

By the way, you can't get "rid of" Edge's acceleration. Even if you close it in the browser, Edge's rendering engine is what powers all WinRT apps. You can't "close" it.

7. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    I used to have that weird issue a while ago where, 3d clocks would drop while watching some video to uvd while gaming sometimes and it would cause annoying stutter and/or slowdown (among other weird issues). I don't remember if it got fully stuck though, i don't think it did for my card at that time.

I'll bet a bios hex edit of setting all UVD clocks and volts to one setting (max 3d) might be a workaround, i managed to do that on mine a while ago (what a nightmare figuring that out) and my card has been fully stable ever since with no sort of clock being stuck or going lower when gaming. I basically made it so the card has only 2 clock states for all intents and purposes. And it downs back to idle just fine and jumps when needed pefectly.

But still, it's sad that one would even HAVE to do that. i'm sure this could also just be fixed in the driver, if they could just for once get it right.

8. THEAST

THEAST Guest

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    That **** might be one of the applications triggering this, but it certainly is not the only one. I spent half a day browsing the internet for instructions to fully remove that thing after the Anniversary update but I still experience this clock bug.

You are actually correct. I reported this in 3DMark's forums, one of their devs said some animation in the start-up of those versions of 3DMark caused the card to go to video playback clock and then get stuck there. In the end they completely changed 3DMark's start-up to fix this. This only happened on 7950/70 and 280/X. Two interesting points I noticed were that:

1 - I have installed windows 10 N Edition which does not come with Media Player and Media Feature Pack, but I eventually had to install the Media Feature Pack since I couldn't play H.264 content with my browsers. The issue with 3DMark did NOT happen before I installed the feature pack.

2 - The exact same card with the exact same version of 3DMark did not show this bug in Windows 7 (non-N).

Conclusion: That clock bug with 3DMark was caused by GPU-Accelerated video playback using Microsoft's codecs only in Windows 10. The current bug is probably also triggered in the same way unless someone is also experiencing it in Windows 7.

P.S. ULPS does not work correctly for me either; in most cases, when my second card is turned on by some application, it doesn't go back to sleep when that application is closed.

9. Dennisbest

Dennisbest Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7950
    There is another issue with disabled HW acceleration on chrome. Most videos on youtube have black level of 16-235 , but when I have HW acceleration enabled they are expanded to 0-255. However , with HW acceleration disabled , the colors are washed out .

10. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I somehow got that triggered with Stellaris. This is a very interesting research.

11. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    that's because your desktop is set to 0-255 and the blacks are getting crushed.

you can adjust that in the video section of ccc/crimson.

12. realmadrid

realmadrid Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050 TI MSI OC
    now with chrome no bug so far also i disable windows media play replaced by vlc and disable HW accel in option like that

[​IMG]

13. Dennisbest

Dennisbest Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7950
    The only option to change black levels is on Radeon additional settings. It is in full dynamic range ( 0-255 ) as it should be.

14. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    But wait i don't get it. Then why does it look better with HW acceleration on with chrome. Non-accelerated video can't do 0-255 properly? Does this even have anything to do with the AMD driver or is it just a chrome issue?

EDIT: yeah i see the difference now, ugh it is very noticeable once pointed out

15. cowman

cowman Guest

144hz displays

Known issues:
    A small number of 144hz non-FreeSync enabled displays may exhibit flickering during gaming or on desktop.

I wonder when AMD is going to fix this nonsense?

16. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Not sure anyone cares, or even if people do, it's not like any of us "normal" folks have access to people who can actually FIX stuff, but:

When the r9 290x first came out, the versions of GPU-Z that were out would always lock the card in 3D clocks whenever you ran it and would keep it there. This would also cause games to take up to 20 seconds to load. The author of GPU-Z said this was caused by GPU-Z accessing an "improper" register on the card. He released a version of GPU-Z shortly after which fixed this problem.

It's worth noting that "GPUTool" (GPUtool_CPT1.exe) artifact tester STILL causes this to happen to this day. GPUtool is also known as "Furmark Lite", as it stresses the card to 100%, without causing absurd temps like furmark causes, and it can test for some artifacts. If you run it, the card gets locked at 3D core speeds, won't downclock the core anymore (the memory does downclock), and games start taking forever to initialize.

17. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Location for download:

GPUTool Community Technology Preview 1

https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1383/gputool-community-technology-preview-1\

Note sure if you can trust any artifacts being generated by this tool as card related as indicated by the above information.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  18. TonyTurbo

TonyTurbo Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 @ 1750/1180
    Im still getting flicker on desktop and in games WITH a 144hz Freesync screen. It's an absolute joke, AMD have had the last of my money.

19. realmadrid

realmadrid Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050 TI MSI OC
    again the bug is come :bang:
    no edge no mediaplayer chorme diable HW accel vlc no HW accel and the bug is come :wanker:

[​IMG]

20. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    If anybody hass issues with this Beta driver just revert to Stable 16.7.3 WHQL
    Right now i have NP with this Drv. Temps are little higher 2-3deg. but besides that everything is Good.

I thing maby week or two and we get new stable WHQL for sure ;-)