MSI Afterburner 4.2.0 Available for Download

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

I’m glad to inform you that I finished the second and the final stage of DX12 support implementation in RTSS. Now in addition to OSD support RTSS also supports screen and video capture in DX12 applications (Win32 only, no UWP support). It is in private beta-testing stage now.
    Also I’m expecting my MSI RX 460 to arrive on the next week. So I’ll be able to provide voltage control for AMD Baffin (Ploaris11) based RX 460 cards in addition to AMD Ellesmere (Polaris10) based RX 470 and RX 480.
    That’s everything that we planned to include in AB 4.3.0, so once it is done, we’ll be able to release a public beta of RTSS 6.5.0 and AB 4.3.0. The final release is still scheduled on September.

2. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    fantastic news

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah it's going to be really useful to have overlay support for DirectX 12 in most scenarios, besides Microsoft's "UWP" stuff I guess but there's not much that can be done about it with how it works, at least from my understanding of it.
    (Some upcoming games like Gears of War 4 could be useful to have support for as one example but I don't see MS being too supportive of having their published games on other platforms like Steam nor altering how UWP works any time soon.)

(Quantum Break is being resolved by it's upcoming Steam release however albeit it looks like the developers switched to D3D11 so RTSS overlay functionality should be fine.)

As far as I know that then leaves only the Vulkan API but there's only DOOM(4) at the moment that is using it effectively as far as I know with DOTA 2 and Talos Principle having a beta implementation of it.
    (Well for AMD GPU owners at least it's proven quite useful though Nvidia will probably catch up as well via future driver improvements though their OpenGL driver is better - by a lot. - than AMD's so they're already doing well performance wise for DOOM.)

4. Unwinder

Vulkan is in future plans. Don't be that fast, AB is single man project and even without Vulkan suppirt I had to kill huge part of my vacation on 4.3.0.

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Oh I know, I was just mentioning it.
    (DirectX 12 still isn't too widespread in gaming and it's been available for a longer period of time plus at least on Windows D3D12 might still remain the dominant API over Vulkan although I do hope Vulkan sees some use in comparison to what happened with OpenGL, should also force AMD and Nvidia to keep it optimized and well supported in their drivers.)

I apologize, probably shouldn't have mentioned it as adding support for two entirely new GPU architectures (One from AMD and one from Nvidia.) and then also various separate GPU models using said architecture not to even mention any new features like Nvidia GPU Boost 3 and whatever AMD did for the 400 series (Also changing from the simpler Overdrive to "Wattman") must have been pretty time consuming work and then on top of that researching DirectX 12 / Windows 10 SDK (Which as I remember it is where the DirectX SDK is now merged into.) and how to hook into that API for RivaTuner overlay compatibility.

And on top of that I'm guessing this recent Anniversary update of Windows 10 to build version 1607 didn't exactly help either depending on what Microsoft decided to change without notice.

Plus yeah all that during the summer months.

EDIT: Not sure how to say this best but I do appreciate the continued support and development with Afterburner and RTSS. :)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  6. km52

km52 Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    +1

Afterburner is like Youtube, you can't live without it.

7. looncraz

looncraz Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 5770
    Just to verify, will this bring back the ability to underclock memory? WattMan doesn't expose that ability and I am hoping Afterburner will bring that.

8. apan65

apan65 Guest

GPU:
    sdasdas
    Looking forward for new beta its really annoying that i won't able monitoring temp in overlay on new amd gpu.

9. Unwinder

Patience, beta is really close.

10. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    thank you...troubleshooting dx12 performance is tough to impossible with out your rtss osd!:banana:

11. apan65

apan65 Guest

GPU:
    sdasdas
    Thank you for the update, unwinder.