Star Citizen - Squadron 42 - Upcoming PC Space Sim.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Major Melchett, Oct 10, 2012.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    It's spoken about here.

2. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    can anyone give the minimum requirements for this game as of now?

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    i5 4.8Ghz/ 16GB/R9 280X 1150Mhz. It runs around 25-35fps Ultra settings/1080p, eats the whole 3GB Vram so prefered more. Im also using this Ultra+ user file to actually goes even beyond (thanks to XenthorX) :

Con_Restricted = 0

sys_spec = 4

r_multiGPU = 2
    r_TexturesStreamPoolSize = 2048
    r_TexResolution = 2048
    r_TexMaxAnisotropy = 16
    r_TexMinAnisotropy = 16

sys_maxfps = 90
    r_VSync = 0
    r_Gamma = 1.2
    r_FullscreenWindow = 0

i_Mouse_Accel = 0.0
    i_Mouse_Smooth = 0.0

r_Sharpening = 0.5
    r_AntialiasingMode = 2
    r_Supersampling = 0
    r_FSAA_samples = 0
    r_FSAA_quality = 0
    r_FSAA = 0
    r_UseEdgeAA = 0

e_GI = 1
    e_GICache = 7
    e_GsmCache = 1
    e_LodRatio = 100
    e_ViewDistRatio = 100
    e_ViewDistRatioDetail = 100
    e_ShadowsResScale = 100
    e_ShadowsMaxTexRes = 2048
    e_ShadowsPoolSize = 2048
    e_ParticlesShadows = 1
    e_ParticlesObjectCollisions = 2
    e_ParticlesForceSoftParticles = 1

r_SSReflections = 3
    r_silhouettePOM = 1
    r_ColorGrading = 0
    r_HDRBloomRatio = 0
    r_MotionBlur = 0
    r_MotionBlurShutterSpeed = 0
    r_DepthOfField = 0
    r_ShadowBlur = 0
    g_radialBlur = 0
    r_HDRBrightLevel = 0
    r_ChromaticAberration = 0
    r_HDRGrainAmount = 0
    r_fogshadows = 0
    hud_bobHud = 0

r_ssdo = 2
    r_ssao = 0

r_TessellationMaxDistance = 100
    r_TesselationTriangleSize = 1

cl_FOV = 70
    r_DrawNearFOV = 70
    pl_movement.power_sprint_targetFOV = 70

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB

5. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    So one more month of updates then 3.0 end of the year.

Which kind of sucks, since the netcode stuff was slated for 2.7 so guess that will be bundled with 3.0 in dec or jan.

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I went and bought the £35.10 Starter package yesterday and after a very SLOW download, which seemed to stall at least five times forcing me to have to pause then resume it to make it continue, it finally completed this morning.

After loading it up and changing the graphics settings to Very High (where are the customisation options and why is there no V-Sync?) and checking out the empty Hangar mode running at 60 fps, I decided to dip into the Universe mode.

First shock was seeing the game running at 16-30 fps even though GPU usage was around 33% and CPU usage 50-60%. At this framerate the motion-blur becomes nauseating but I stuck with it because what I saw visually was very impressive (after the disappointment of No Man's Sky samey visuals I guess anything would!). Made my way to a room where I sussed out I had to request a ship. Was told it was on A02 and so proceeded to head for an airlock but was told I needed a spacesuit. Wasn't I wearing one? Difficult to tell in first person. Clicked on a locker and was then looking through a helmet. YES! Opened the airlock and went outside but accidentally headed to A04. Got a look at a few ships there. Very nice visual detail but that framerate! Ouch!

Anyway, I finally found A02 and then spent five minutes trying to work out how to enter my Mustang (isn't that a car?). There looked to be a rear ramp... did I have to jump into it? No. Could I lower it and walk up? No. There were Use icons on the ship but none of them granted me access. I walked away from the ship to get a better view and got my first crash. Grrrrrrrrrrrreat!

Loaded the game again, headed straight for the room to request a ship. Was told it wasn't available so I figured it must still be on A02. Headed there but there was a different ship there, a nicer one. Was that mine? Turned out it wasn't Back to room, requested a ship, this time it gave me one, on A01 this time. At least I knew where that was. Headed there. Noticed this time that there was various info displayed about the ship in blue. Spent a minute looking for Use icons and found one that lowered the ladder. Success! I'm in.

Pressed Y to sit in the pilot's ship. Apart from some dreadful clipping, it all looks very authentic and detailed. Right how do I launch? Pressed all the buttons on the Xbox One controller except Y, figuring that would exit the seat. Nope, turns out I launch the ship with Y as well. How confusing. Some basic tutorial instructions would have been really handy here IMO. I know the game isn't finished but even so... Ship started to move, thought I'd take some screenshots of this momentous moment... game crashed AGAIN.

Yeah, I know this game is still in alpha but hasn't it been in development for over THREE YEARS? I expected the game to be a bit more stable than this. Kind of a little disappointed to be honest, the performance is sub-par (despite not even pushing my hardware) and although it does look fantastic it simply is not stable on my system.

Looking forward to checking out future builds as this looks very, very promising but I fear I may be an old man by the time the game is finished (I am 49).

7. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Yea i assume gfx options, will come at some point, but probably not to way late in development.

And why i was kinda waiting for the netcode update to see how much fps we gain. Which seems it might not be until 3.0 unless they sneak it in 2.6 next month.

2.5 is in beta on the test server, invite only, but should be pushed out to the main branch soon, would think any day now, but who knows with gamescom.

But you could see in the demo video the fps was not the greatest, gfx options would be nice. But there are custom inis that could make it a shade better until they fix the sever to client issues, which is not helping the fps. I cannot play with the motion blur :p, i would not even launch the game wo modding the ini.

8. CDJay

CDJay Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE SLI
    Your framerate has little to do with your PC; it's server related. AFAIK it should be resolved in the 3.0 build by year end. If you check out Arena Commander, or Arc Corp, you'll get a better indicator of how things will run when the netcode issues aren't in play.

On a completely unrelated note; I've seen hints that Intel and Chris Roberts are in some way entwined with regards to Optane ( http://blogs.intel.com/technology/2015/08/the-game-changer ) over the last year and again with their booth sponsored by Intel. Anyone care to speculate what might be going on there?

CDJay

9. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
  10. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    More like alpha patch's alpha patch (some might get the wrong idea...). :)

@Darren Hodgson
    It's currently just alpha test bed for everything and will be for quite some time. Expect crashes, bad performance and everything in between. Squadron 42 (the single player game) will be ready before Star Citizen and currently they are prioritising all features and content heavily to support that game. Also it doesn't have to deal with CryEngine's crappy network code so the performance will be on another level (actually if you run the PTU in offline it runs great). It will take some time before they are ready with the rewrite.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016

11. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Yea good point on the alpha beta thing. lol

12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    2.5 looks cool :D

13. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Yep! Getting there.. one week at a time.

The more I see, the more I'm excited for Squadron 42

14. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    I want my rover and star marine so probably waiting at lest another update to try and play.

15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    This was a good video too.

16. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    http://www.pcgamesn.com/star-citizen/squadron-42-release-date

It looks like the "Squadron 42" SP/Co-op component of the game will get pushed from late-2016 to late-2017

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I can literally hear Derek having an orgasm from the other side of the world.....

18. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    This game is upsetting me. never ending development. when we gonna play it. paid al not time ago . deleted it. boring ALPHA it was. no promises when it is out yet?

19. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Crowdfunding isn't for everyone.

This game development is in unknown territories because they're doing something that has never been done before in video game industry. Not everyone is ready to deal with that.

20. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    The semi official take on the german article was that the 2017 stuff was added into the article, according to the german users that could read the german article.

But there are so many systems not finished, that 2017 would make sense.

FPS is still to come and will take time to balance and test, armor has not been properly implemented on ships yet, multi components systems are not fully done, the flight model needs to be done we know they planning changes to the flight mechanics, we have yet to see the NPC ai in action. And there are a number of whole systems that have yet to be put in game.

I do not see why they would release 42 with so many systems yet to be done, and so many things that are going to need balancing. They would risk too many things outright changing from s42 to the pu to the future episodes of 42.