LG 27UD68 is a 4K UHD monitor with FreeSync

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I think, all new monitors will get FreeSync lol ? The 27-inch AH-IPS 60hz LED-backlight monitor provides 3840 x 2160 4K native resolution, 1000:1 contrast ratio (DCR 5,000,000:1), 300 cd/m2 brightnes...

LG 27UD68 is a 4K UHD monitor with FreeSync

2. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    I certainly hope all new monitors get it. Would be an incentive for others than AMD to support it. But I guess nvidia will want to keep peddling their premium solution.

3. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Intel has already stated it is going with Freesync.

I've seen the online videos purporting to "show the difference" between standard refresh and Gsync, and the only thing that stood out for me was the fact that my non-Freesync/non-Gsync monitor looks far better than the "non-Gsync" representation in the videos (which is deliberately made to look awful)...;) Indeed, it looks every bit as nice as the Gsync video--without Gsync or Freesync involved.

This is a "feature" that if it comes with something I buy--fine, but I won't be looking for it and I surely won't pay extra for it.

4. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Intel are believed to be going with adaptive-sync but will it be exactly FreeSync?

5. Brisse

Brisse Active Member

GPU:
    na
    PC-Per did a good job, but the video has become outdated. AMD made some major improvements to Freesync with their 15.11 Crimson driver, which pretty much brings it up to the same level as g-sync. It can even do some things that g-sync can't. Still, you need to be aware when buying a Freesync monitor though, because there are crappy ones and there are good ones. The upper frequency must be at least 2.5 times higher than the lower limit, otherwise you miss out on the low framerate compensation, which is able to show the same frame several times to avoid unnecessary stuttering or tearing when the framerate falls under the frequency range.

And please check your facts before spreading your confusion on others. :nerd:

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeaaah, I don't know about that. As a person who's owned about 8 different monitors in the last 5 years. G-Sync/Freesync are the best thing that have happened to gaming in years.

I originally was like you, I thought I didn't need it. I bought a PG278Q and aside from the fact that the monitor was garbage, G-Sync was easily and by far the best edition over my previous monitor. I will never not own a monitor without G-Sync or Freesync.

7. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock
    I'll wait for a 27-28" 4K 120Hz FreeSync monitor with DP 1.3 before replacing my cheap 1080p 21.5" monitor

Unless there was a cheap 4K60Hz freesync monitor

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  8. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    The video is old and improvements have been made since. I imagine improvements will keep coming too. Besides, it doesn't require extra hardware and as such everyone could put it in their monitor... if every monitor has it and nVidia refuse to support it, I'll just say it's nVidia being annoying and excluding their customers from a better experience.

9. blkspade

blkspade Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MB
    Adaptive-sync is the official name of the standard, while free-sync is AMD's marketing term for that exact same standard. Intel likely won't call it FreeSync, but its the same thing.

10. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Let say Freesync is the name of the AMD software who make use of adaptative sync. While adaptative sync is the name of the standard who is needed on the monitor side.

Actually theres allready around 24+ monitors released on the market reported in this forum thread who support it( + some korean import ). ( and the list is surely not complete ) in addition you have now some Korean TV´s who have been launched with it. ( 42 to 55" ).

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2437728

There's allready nearly 3x more monitors/TV on the market who support Freesync than G-sync one. ( and this dont count all the monitors who have been announced during thoses last 2-3months but have still a release pending )

With all the advancement who have been released and previewed by AMD on the software side ( if i remember correctly duing Crimson driver release and last month ), it will be interessant to got some new tests.

Something to understand anyway is with large implementation by brands, larger could be the variance between a monitor or another, a brand with another....

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016

11. rmjohnson144

rmjohnson144 Guest

GPU:
    Dell RX 6800 XT
    To my understanding, FreeSync is just that, Free, which is why Intel is probably going to use, and not the royalty based G-Sync.

Also, the adaptive sync standard is suppose to be compatible with FreeSync, but not G-Sync.

I think nvidia is dropping the ball again. They already messed up full DX12 support for 900 series and only support DX11.0.

AMD also raised the bar with Mantle and shared it with Microsoft as well, and now it's included in DX12, while not in nvidia. Not sure what nvidia is thinking. It's got to be a lot of extra work to get DX12 games to work with nvidia for developers, compared to AMD. At this rate nvidia is stuck in DX11 as far as I can tell.

btw, I found this monitor on Amazon Japan for 620 if I calculated it right. Trying to order it, but having issues, probably the translator.

bummer, can post links yet. need more posts.

If you know of any shortcuts to get this ordered, please let me know. Just don't buy them all up please. lol

-=Mark=-

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    27" slimframe/borderless design and 4k, now if only it was g-sync that and sync stuff came down in price,, I can get UHDTV that 40" for price of some of these monitors

13. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Think I am about to order myself one of these ^^

The ones from overclockers UK has a Much Improved VESA mount stand than the one shown here.

I got fed up with 1080p and TN image quality at the smallest angles, I think this screen will hold me over very nicely until the next gen of 4K screens arrive with high refresh and HDR !

oh, and it is only £379 at OCUK atm :)

P.S.
    This display also supports HDCP 2.2

The other model, 27UD88-W, HH mentioned with the USB Type-C port does also support FreeSync.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  14. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    heh, glad I waited an extra few days, they dropped it to £359 :)

Ended up ordering from Amazon UK as a friend has a Prime account for Free next day delivery.

Read lots of good things about this screen.

15. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Well, just to tidy up here on this old thread I res'd:

It arrived and very happy there are no dead pixels (my last screen bought New from www.aria.co.uk had one and was pre-opened & re-sealed with different tape with all baggies opened etc and they denied they send out B Grade as new + BenQ said they could do nothing as the screen was never registered by the retailer as an RMA'd item :bang: )

IPS Glow... at first with the room light on I did not notice any even with the brightness set at default of 100% while viewing a black screen.
    Later though at night with room lights off I did notice it on dark back grounds and re-tested using Dead Pixel Buddy again on a black screen which showed it to be very minor with a hint more in the bottom left...

- gently flexing the frame of the corner with the glow towards myself made the glow disappear 100% showing the what most likely causes bad IPS panel is tension from frames that could have perhaps been designed better to avoid this - maybe even in manufacture being able to adjust tension?

If you move your head to directly in front of the glowing corner it disappears, a little more fiddling about with position and I found it was mostly due to myself sitting back on the floor looking up at the screen a bit. I angled the tilt down some more and almost all the IPS glow faded away to the point I would not notice it.

Adjusting the screens brightness does reduce the IPS glow a little when at an angle where I could see it, but honestly has little effect on it.

Almost everything else about the display I Love !

It seems the UK models have a high quality stand that allows Tilt, Height and Pivot and I have no complaints about it. Although I quickly swapped the display onto a Cygnus gas monitor desk-mounted arm I bought in advance of purchasing it. Its an excellent quality metal after market display arm btw and can be had for only £63.80 delivered on ebay UK new.

Looking at 4k+ images and high quality 4K video I, for the 1st time on a PC, found myself looking into the images and feeling like I was focusing on the real world a little rather than a flat obviously reproduced image.
    - Really quite a relaxing feeling, somewhat as if things are as they Should be :)

For me personally I am Very Happy with 100% scaling on this 27" screen, sure the text is small which you often hear people complain about but it is perfectly formed and legible. Perhaps what puts most of viewing it without any scaling is a matter of being jarred out of habits of how they are used to viewing their monitor?

The Anti-glare Coating I was a little worried about this and had honestly given up on getting a Good screen of my choice without such a coating. Normally I would rather deal with reflections than be faced with the jaggies around text etc caused by harsh anti-glare coatings/layers.
    I am a person who tends to focus in Great detail on everything I see and to me the jaggies are so pronounced that when i am not paying attention properly, trying to bring everything onscreen into sharp focus out of the corner of my will give me quite a headache in the past on various screens I have used. (until I looked properly and saw it was the jaggies I had not then known about that were breaking up the text's outlines)

However this 27UD68P's AG coating is much more subtle than other displays I have used and causes me no problems even though it is still obvious it is there compared to a screen without one. This is a fair compromise to having no significant reflections to deal with.
    Bright light sources do reflect on this screen, but you have to almost be trying to annoy yourself with one for it to be an issue.

A few notes to mention as it surprised me a little, on bootup I have currently lost a Windows 10 login screen, just see a blank screen, upon entering my PW desktop shows up as expected.

Swapping screen plugs takes a lot longer for the displays to come back on tot he point I thought something had crashed.

Enabling FreeSync (16.7.3 on my Fury Tri-X on latest Aug 2016 Win10 64bit pro update) reset all my screen setups and desktops + scaling (I have 3 different screens attached, Big TV through a home theater amp + old 24" and this new LG).
    Setting FreeSync on also took a good 30 secs for screens to come back on etc

TLDR; Recommended :thumbup:

16. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    I guess you don't need AA in games at all with that pixel density? ;)

17. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    heh yeah, pretty much :)

So far I've been playing through some older games I've been meaning to play for ages like Deus Ex : Human Revolution. Even with MLAA and all settings turned up it still averages about 109fps at 4k

Looked a little better for the extra res, but obviously not designed for it.

Path of Exile was hitting 150 - 190 fps in 4k, actually Really jumped up in visual quality to the point it seemed like something must be wrong at 1080p :)

All in all I'm Very Happy I went 4K instead of 144Hz @ 1440p.

Although you cannot add more pixels, running DSR or VSR for those with lower res displays actually makes a surprising improvement to image quality. Definitely give that a go if you have a card that can handle it with the games you play.

...later when I've modded my Fury into a Fury X (looked clean and easy when I checked) I will mess with some newer games, but waiting on AMD's Vega for real 4K performance to drive this screen

18. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    I'm guessing the extra pixel density will do wonders for games with lots of foliage since all foliage detail is pretty much sub-pixel size on normal monitors. You can see individual leafs of branches with that display, while on normal ones the branches are just one big green mush.

19. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    You know, it is funny you should say that...

The very 1st video I found to watch on my new 4K screen was the following one :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwDiNj_5PEg

I first saw it on my old 1080p screen and the palm fronds in the distance held little detail (almost the mush of green you mentioned) and the pixels would sort of dance about trying to represent detail too fine to reproduce with such a low pixel density.

Watching this video again on my new 4K screen suddenly showed each palm frond in the detail you might almost expect in real life and there was no more of the dancing pixel issue either :)

All the videos somehow seem so much more alive on this screen than anything I've experience before. Possibly that this LG 27UD68-P uses 10bit (8bit + A-FRC) colour also helps a lot.
    1 billion colours is a Heck of a lot more that the 16 million most flat screens reproduce !!!