MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X - should i return it?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by gazi, Aug 7, 2016.

1. gazi

gazi Guest

GPU:
    msi gtx 1060 gaming x
    My GPU came yesterday. Package was bend and smashed, by luckly gpu was fine(i think),

next issue i faced was graphics card lenght and weight. I had to remove my tooles mounting device out of my k58 case to mount it and even then its bending in my case due its weight.

Card also have whiny coil issue. I cant hear it from where i seat, but u can hear it when u put your ear against case.

Next issue is OC BOOST. I set oc mode in msi gaming app and msi afterburner shows max 1936 mhz at oc mode and at many games even lower. So i decided to OC it manually. Adding 200mhz managed to give 2100MHz at witcher 3(which is quite low considering i heard this card can reach 2165 or higher). After hour or so game froze with artifacts, brand new card with ARTIFACTS at 2100mhz.

So iam wondering if i should return it tomorrow and pay for transport. I dk if i want another one. Its too big and heavy for middle budget card, has whiny coil issue and OC boost is total RNG i suppose.

2. Han2K

Han2K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 GX
    You have set the core clock too high. Try 1750 (+155) Mhz.
    The Witcher 3 is a high intensive game on graphics so don't expect to reach high boost clocks.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  3. gazi

gazi Guest

GPU:
    msi gtx 1060 gaming x
    150 gives 2060 boost clock which is pathetic. I heard this card can easly reach 2165. And droping artifacts at 2100 after few hours of gameplay? Brand new GPU? I heard it might by caused by memory overheating which temps arent displayd(only core temp which was below 70c even after OC). So if memory overheats after hour of gameplay or so in 2060 MHz i bet this card wont live 2 years at 1934 clock boost as memory by then will be fried to pieces throwing artifacts all over the place.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  4. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    1. Coil whine as much as many "whine" about it but it's a normal phenomenon.
    2. You are promised to get the advertised boost clocks. Any extra is pure luck and you can't blame the card.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Not sure any of your complaints are good reason for RMA, but you're obviously not happy, so go ahead and try

6. gazi

gazi Guest

GPU:
    msi gtx 1060 gaming x
    So I payed almost 400$ (1500zl) for one of the topest GTX 1060 cards to get less performance than founders edition? I dont think so.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Don't waste any time then, begin the RMA process and get the card you want

8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    artifacts can happen on ANY card no matter of its age if your overclocking too high for your specific individual chip then it will either crash the driver or you will start to see artifacts.

I have the 1080 MSI X card and I too can't get it 100% stable at 2.1GHz in all games. I have had to settle for 2088MHz (2.08GHz) and +500 on the memory for 11GHz.

It's all about silicon lottery with GPU's and CPU's, some will overclock more than others some will need more volts and others might need less.

Also saying that 2GHz is pathetic for a GPU clock speed is just absurd. I remember when my old X1900XTX was clocked at 650MHz and I managed to get it to 700MHz and I was exstatic.

9. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    I think he just came here for our approval to go rma without feeling bad, but in fact
    you should feel bad. "Hey i didn't get as much oc as that guy can you pls hit me with
    another lottery ticket again?!"

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Hearing some guy can reach 2165mhz does not mean you will be able to do it too.

Also, you knew gaming X is a bulky card before you bought it.

11. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    1060 is not a high end card now right of the bat. You should not have expected to be a ground shattering gpu smashing all games at 200fps. Let alone adding few more mhz to boost clock.

12. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    This and if you can only hear coil noises when you put your ear against your case then it's a good sample. If you can't hear it where you sit then it's totally not a whiney card.

13. SubtleOne

SubtleOne Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1060 Amp!
    I think your only legitimate complaint is the size of the card being too large for your current setup. This is not a fault of the card since the measurements are not exactly secret, and you are 100% at fault for not looking at this before, but it is still a real issue.

As to the OC, what exactly are you expecting to happen with an OC? Gain 3 FPS? 2 FPS? Instead of 45 FPS average you get 47-48 FPS? That is about what you can expect. The rest is just forum measurebating IMO.

14. Vxheous

Vxheous Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X
    lol, calling 2060 boost clock pathetic. Pascal's can't hit 2165 "easily", anything above 2100 is hitting silicon lottery. 2000-2100 is the normal boost for the majority of Pascal owners.

15. ^ I'm just not sure if you are being serious... No offense but the only pathetic thing here is your whining about not wining jackpot in silicon lottery.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2016

16. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    Hmm yet the NEXT one could be the same or worse. And sorry but I agree with haste lol

17. gazi

gazi Guest

GPU:
    msi gtx 1060 gaming x
    But dont you agree 1934 MAX boost clock at oc mode is kinda weak? I read other forums and all owners of the 1060'tis, eaven those cheaper models than msi get boosts up to 1975 without OC and avrage +2100 with manual OC.

What bothers me the most and pushes me to return this card is a fact that package was bent all over the place(gpu box), so it had some "rough" road in the way to me and iam worried if it might affect its "lifetime". Also my fans had a little scratches on them(on the logo), dk why and card smelt weird :p.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    What you didnt mention is the actuall 1060 performance. Are you even satisfied with the upgrade? Those slightly higher clocks speeds wont gain much of an increase, 2-3fps tops.

There is like 90% chance that if you return the card you'll get similiar overclocker back.

19. gazi

gazi Guest

GPU:
    msi gtx 1060 gaming x
    iam using it with i5 6600k @ 4.4GHz. Only witcher 3 had some struggles(drops below 60 sometimes at max with hairworks off), but Iam blown with performance(but i switch from phenom 955 + mobo integra which i used for 2 years and previously hd 5850 so no wonder performance satisfy me).

But still, i payd 1500zl for most oced msi model and get less of a performance than 1200zl founders edition?

BTW. Do you know how to turn of led pernamently in this card? I did that with nvidia experience, gaming app and nothing, every boot up it turns on.

And does bending of this card wont damage it or pci slot over time?

20. gazi

gazi Guest

GPU:
    msi gtx 1060 gaming x
    Does weird smell of the card wgile it was in box, scratches on brand logo's fans and bended box should be something to worry about and considerretuurning it on that basis?

Does new gpu smell out of the box?

Also mine gpu was missing half of the golden 'legs'/pins at the bottom, i checked guru review copy and it has all golden "legs".