Windows Store error 0x80070005 when moving/installing apps to any drive other than C:

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Darren Hodgson, Jul 24, 2016.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    If store uses EFS to protect apps then it may be the source of problem - for example if failure folder encrypted on another key (or OS thinks like it) then user will recieve 0x8007005.

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Can some answer a few questions please, it would be much appreciated:

1. For the C: drive, where Windows is installed, who is the owner set to? Is it TrustedInstaller, System or Administrators?

2. I am logged into Windows using my Microsoft account so Darren when entered into the Principal box for folder and file Security Permissions returns as Darren Hodgson (<Microsoft account email address>). Entering Administrators into the same box brings up Administrators (PC-Darren\Administrators).

Are those the same thing?

In other words, as an admin use does a folder or file with Administrator (PC-Darren\Administrators) ownership still allow me to access it with my Microsoft account? How can I check that my Microsoft account is part of the Administrators group?

*EDIT*
    Just to be clearer on the Administrator/Microsoft point... if I set the owner of the C: WindowsApps folder to Darren (<Microsoft account email address) then I am able to change the permissions for ALL of the principals listed. However, if I set the owner to Administrators (PC-DARREN/Administrators) then I get an access denied error on applying any changes.

Why does that happen? Shouldn't my Microsoft account be part of the Administrators group? My (only) Windows account shows I am an administrator. :3eyes:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  3. izzy snow

izzy snow Member

GPU:
    PNY NVIDIA 24GB GeF
    Hey man I had a similar issue as you and I'm sorry but I don't have an easy fix. After searching for a fix as you have been doing, I gave up and basically reset my pc including clearing out all the hard drives. Somehow, my pc didn't fully reset and kept my files on c:drive but my 2 other drives were wiped out. So I went into w10 settings and saw I still have version 1607 and after that, changed my storage to my f:drive and started reinstalling forza apex. After a nap because I've gotten so tired of installing, reinstalling, and trying out some of the fixes I saw online that didn't work, lo and behold, my install actually completed. I'm currently reinstalling my 3 other w10 games. Gears UE, Quantum Break, and Killer Instinct. It should work going forward but will post here again to let you know otherwise. Good luck with your pc.

4. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks izzy snow.

Can you tell me who the owner of your C: drive is please?

Also, are you able to post screenshots of the maximised security permissions for the following folder as well:

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps
    C:\User\<Your Username>\AppData\Local\Packages

If you can take a screenshot similar to this one then it would be great:

[​IMG]

Thanks!

P.S. Screenshots of the security permissions for the WindowsApps and WpSystem folders on your other drives would be useful if you can please.

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've just submitted feedback on this issue to Microsoft. When I searched for error 0x80070005 I found a few mentions of people also having issues updating apps or installing them to other drives so this problem may not be specific to my PC but could well be a bug with v1607 (well, in my case, I can absolutely say with 100% confidence that it IS a bug with v1607 since the issue does not happen on v1511 and I have upgraded to v1607 five times now with the same result).

6. izzy snow

izzy snow Member

GPU:
    PNY NVIDIA 24GB GeF
    Hey man I'm sorry but I don't feel comfortable posting screenshots of my security settings even if I color out some info. I'd suck it up at this point and do what I did and just reset your pc. I know that's not the best advise but hey it worked for me. I lost a weekend of games but I've already reinstalled most games I want to play including Gears of War UE, Forza Apex, Quantum Break, and Killer Instinct. All 4 of my W10 games work fine now. Again, good luck.

BTW, eff Microsoft man. They caused a lot of headaches with this 1607 update and the worse part is, they've beta tested it! Next time I'm not updating until I do some research about it. Tough lesson learned.

7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @ izzy snow - OK, fair enough. They're only folder security permissions and as long as you're not posting your email address then there's not really much anyone can do with the info you've posted. I was only wanting to see how your (fixed) settings compared with mine to see if I'd missed anyway. Oh well. Thanks anyway.

Unless I upgrade my motherboard and CPU then I won't be resetting or reinstalling Windows clean as I have far too many games and programs installed (over 750 games alone on Steam!).

8. biggs

biggs Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SLI
    I had this issue after upgrading to anniversary. Could not install from the store or move an installed app from my primary to a second drive, but moving to a usb stick worked.

What worked for me was disabling compression on my secondary drive. Everything was fine then.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    how does disabling compression on drive fix such a thing. I swear computers and what fixes things on them make no sense majority of the time, The gnomes that live in the computers 1 and 0 software must be at work :banana:

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I saw your post over on the Windows 10 Forum, biggs, and posted my thanks there. I can confirm that disabling file compression only for the WindowsApps folder on my H: drive DOES fix this issue. I successfully moved Age of Empires: Castle Siege from C: to H:, something I'd previously been unable to do since updating to Windows v1607 (it worked in v1511 though).

@ tsunami231 - It's true, this is the fix for this issue. Unbelievable really because it's something I would never have even considered to turn off. I suspect it is an oversight by Microsoft because I was seeing errors to do with encryption in the Event log. My guess is that the updated encryption system in v1607 of Windows does not work properly with file compression for the Windows Store.

If only I'd seen this fix before I bought a new 1 TB SSD over the weekend. I did this only so that I could move Store apps to the C: drive if I needed to update them (since they would always fail with error 0x80070005 otherwise). Oh well, the extra space comes in handy for games like DOOM which benefit massively from significantly faster loading times now (3-5 minutes cut down to under a minute!).

Thanks again, biggs. :D

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    P.S. Score 1 point for me and 0 points for those people who claimed my Windows install was corrupt and needed to be clean installed because of this issue!!! ;) :p

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah i dont even enable compression on any hdd

13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Wow ... first time I'm seeing compression causing trouble. At least it's taken care of now.

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    It's a bug in v1607 though because I did not have issues with Store apps installed on my H: drive in v1511 and file compression has ALWAYS been enabled for that drive (until now, obviously, but I only turned it off for the WindowsApps folder itself rather than the entire drive).

15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    So the journey ends here. -)

16. deton24

deton24 Member

GPU:
    a bit outdated
    Didn't read the topic.

I had that issue when I tried to move the game from one disk to another in Settings-->Apps.
    You need Take Ownership tool (registry file for adding additional function on RBM).
    https://www.maketecheasier.com/access-windowsapps-folder-windows-10/
    Afterwards, you need to click RBM on "WindowsApps" folder, and pick option "Take Ownership".
    The same goes for WPSystem where settings are stored. Otherwise, you will see the error in the very end of moving the game.

You need to perform this operation on folders where the game is stored (by default it is in C:\Program Files\)
    Not necessarily on your destination folders (where the game is copied), but you can also try out if you still get the error.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  17. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    This worked for me. Thanks!

deton24 likes this.