1070 G1 Gaming cant idle or windows start up with Mem OC applied

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by flash22, Aug 2, 2016.

1. flash22

flash22 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1070 G1 GMG
    Hi guys,

Just picked up my new 1070 the other week and been playing around with it like mad trying to understand what the hell is going on with my overclock.

The card over clocks nicely for the most part. Can achieve a total of 2113mhz on the core and 8900mhz on the memory - tested for ages in heaven and Valley plus bf4 no problem. No artifacts or anything.

The problem is when it idles down. Once it drops the voltage off like back to desktop etc - If I open any application it shoots the memory core back up and the voltage isnt quick enough to support it causing instant artifacts followed by a hardlock or reset.

It doesn't end there, if I've saved a memory overclock even as low as 200mhz (8400mhz) from the g1's stock clock it will trip it and cause exactly the same issue. Happens everytime without fail.

It seems to be with eithee MSI afterburner or xtreme gigabyte oc software although I've had better results with xtreme admittedly. I would however much prefer to use afterburner.

My thought is the card's voltage is not pumping to feed the memory clock fast enough from idle causing this issue. I haven't been able to find any other people with similar symptoms.

Could it be a potential faulty card even though it holds a decent oc and doesn't have any issues at stock?

Or am I being a complete nooby here and overlooking something?

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Cheers

2. flash22

flash22 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1070 G1 GMG
    Does no one at all know anything I could do?

I haven't done a clean format and install of windows from using my previous AMD cards.... BUT I have used DDU multiple times.

Is it possible I'll have to attempt an RMA on this card?

3. DStealth

DStealth Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GX 1080Ti@2088/12000
    It's not the card, mine has the same behavior. While the idle voltage is less than 0.75v it's not a great issue the core clock is in 1.5-1.6 range...while no load is applied.
    Assume it's software related or boost 3.0 realization works like this. Don't RMA the card...next one will behave actually the same except 2113mhz stable are not every card does ;)

4. flash22

flash22 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1070 G1 GMG
    Thanks DStealth - couple of questions however,

What behaviour specifically is yours exhibiting? I cant even open the calculator app with a 200mhz mem OC applied and yours in your details is set at 9400.

Agreed 2113mhz core is excellent - but If the memory OC is only able to be applied mid way through a full load graphics app what would u do?

5. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    Well, you could always create profiles in AB for your OC and stock settings, assign them to hotkeys and then apply the OC profile when you start a game and the stock profile before you quit. Not perfect but it sounds like it should work for you. You don't actually need an OC in Windows.

AB can also apply settings in 3D/2D automatically, but there are quite a few regular applications that register as 3D. You can disable their detection in RTSS but since the OC causes you to crash it would be a pain, that's why I suggest going with the hotkey version if you can't find an actual solution to the problem.

6. flash22

flash22 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1070 G1 GMG
    Meh - Ive accepted my fate on this one... RMA'd it and got a new one on the way. Im just running no Mem OC until it arrives.

Tried it in another system as well - doing exactly the same thing and it shouldnt be. There is definitely an issue with it.