Doom 4 performance and discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by oGow89, May 13, 2016.

1. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Hey, it works. :) I started using it for gaming first to fix some load lag in Diablo 3, which I then moved to my 120GB SSD. Since space is a premium, and DOOM is quite large, I couldn't move it to the SSD. So, I remembered I had these 2, so I took the faster one and moved all 53GB to the stick. (I had it on a RAID0 stripe but something was lagging the loading), but the stick works quite fast, and no latency.

I'd suggest getting the 128GB version so you can have more expansion room. Formatted it's 58.8GB. You can use it for more than 1 game with 128GB.

2. Shaneus

Shaneus Master Guru

GPU:
    5970/5850 TFX 899/1150
    Have a super annoying problem here, getting a persistent, continual screen tear while playing Doom. Doesn't exist while using OpenGL, but when switching over to Vulkan, it appears at roughly 2/3 down the screen. This is with vsync on, and getting well above 90fps with vsync off so it's not a framerate issue.

Specs are as follows:
    i5-2500K@4.9GHz
    R9 280X 3GB at stock speeds
    16GB RAM
    Windows 7 x64
    16.7.2 drivers

There's nothing I haven't tried. Different monitor, different resolutions and graphics settings, wiping and reinstalling driver, even when in windowed mode it still does it!

http://imgur.com/QDM1qDc
    http://imgur.com/NKfzfHk

Anyone have any ideas?

3. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
  4. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    No matter if he has 2GB on High on some Ultra settings,should be ok.

mike87: Did you turn off Anti Aliasing or put that on TSSAA 8x in Vulkan? Because without that Async is not enabled.

5. Shaneus

Shaneus Master Guru

GPU:
    5970/5850 TFX 899/1150
    Is windowed mode not basically identical as borderless window in terms of how it works? Either way, I tried borderless windowed at the time and had the same problem, I just didn't think it was worth mentioning having the problem with both borderless windowed and just windowed.

6. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Does anyone else has a FPS increase when using TXXAA? I was using SMAA because I thought it would have less of an impact on FPS but turns out it is the opposite.

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    That would be with the Vulkan API I take it?

DOOM 4 currently only does async compute support for AMD GPU's and only with AA either disabled or set to Temporal Super Sampling AA (8x) though support for SMAA is planned for a future update but yeah that helps framerate by a fair margin. :)
    (Pascal GPU's do apparently see some gains as well with async due to certain architecture changes, sadly Maxwell GPU's and older don't but in turn Nvidia's OpenGL driver is pretty good, well certainly better than AMD's at least, so performance in general is already pretty good with AMD's gains further highlighting their poor OpenGL driver status and for D3D11 compared to D3D12 it's much the same as I understand it.)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well on nv gpu its basically 0 difference.. Maybe 2-4fps at best, off vs smaa vs txxaa.

9. Virs

Virs Guest

GPU:
    R9 390
    With OpenGL, I also see SMAA as being more performance intensive than TXAA (and any form of AA, I think). I ended up using SMAA anyway as it looked the best to me.

10. Shaneus

Shaneus Master Guru

GPU:
    5970/5850 TFX 899/1150
    Just a follow-up to this, while I said borderless windowed definitely didn't make any difference, I tried running Doom on Windows 10 with the latest Crimson drivers and it works perfectly! Same hardware, TV, cables and everything. So either my Windows 7 install has something screwy with it (it's 4 years since the last install) or Doom/Vulkan just doesn't like Windows 7.

11. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I do not know if it's as bad as I've heard but from what I have read Windows 7 has issues with windowed and borderless mode that were fixed in later OS releases though I haven't found anything more technical on what said issues actually are caused by.
    (The reported issues vary too from performance problems, tearing and stuttering so it's a bit confusing.)

12. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Looks like they (Id or M$) dont like Vulkan on Windows 7.On Windows 8.1/10 works well.

13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I am enjoying the hell out of this game. Performance is so fluid even at 2560x1440, and I have yet to experience a single stutter.

And the graphics is so sweet and eye pleasing.

My favorites are Screen space reflections, temporal aliasing and the way materials seamlessly blend into the image with nothing to cause eye soar, or my brain to go "hmm that's not right"

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Did the latest 12GB patch do anything amazing?

Worth downloading the whole game again for it?

15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    12GB seems a lot for that, the game is what, about 50GB?

17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    62 GB

I guess Steam never got to fully using diff patching.
    Or maybe it's simply easier on hardware (not having to do CPU/HDD intensive patching, but mostly copying the files instead)

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea that's what I'm thinking, replacing entire files instead of patching them or something

Ah well, fixes are always good anyway

Couldn't get back into DOOM once I'd played it through once, tried again with Vulkan but same thing, got bored after one level

19. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    It's not particularly engaging game
    I'm just cruising and chilling. Comparing to older DOOMs and just admiring the technology :p

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    lol yup, it's pretty, shame there's not a proper god mode with all weapons so you can just mess about