The GTX 1070 Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, May 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    I think it has to do more with the type of AA but I could be wrong.For GTA 5 I've found in-game FXAA to be the best visual/performance wise.Reflection AA not really needed imo, but everything else in the graphics section and advanced graphics section maxed out @ 60fps, vsync 1/2 refresh of my 120hz and adaptive tear control is super smooth in multiple missions and free roaming.

I had to turn some settings in the graphics section down and advanced section, forget about that with my 670 sli...I couldn't be happier with a single card, with less heat/pwr draw and a lot less noise..my pc has never been this quiet...loving it! :D

2. Autarch20

Autarch20 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX FE 1080
    ohh god... so witcher 3 will run like crap maxed out on my setup with a 1070?

i heard that turning off hairworks helps

"I am getting a locked 60fps at 1440p in Witcher 3 set at ultra (hairworks off)."

thats what the person said in one of the reviews.

but all the other benchmarks i saw point to outstanding performance over my GTX 980 that i sold... i really hope that witcher 3 is the only game that is problematic for me. I play GTA5 heavily and thats the game i worry most about in my game library.

EVEN on my gtx 980, i had this weird issue where, i could max out the game at 1080 with 2xMSAA and for the first 5 minutes of gameplay would not drop below 60FPS but then after that, its like the game catches up with itself and starts to have problems rendering it would frame stutter so bad that i would have to turn some settings down and restart the game to get it back to playability... the settings in GTA 5 are soo many that its hard to tell what is causing the issue.

i just hope that the 1070 strix will allow me to play GTA 5 on better settings than my 980 and get a solid 60 FPS (i will only then deem my purchase a "win")

i know i will not have any issues in the new doom. Doom was at maximum settings minus the NM mode on my GTX 980 and never dropped below 60FPS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBDlSiN38YU

Though as you see in the top corner of that DOOM recording, under the CPU area i am concerned about the red numbers... is that a CPU issue? why is it Red? what does that mean? is my CPU hitting a snag in this game?

also hoping that RotTR runs better on the 1070 strix, i mean it ran great in DX12 mode on my 980 but suffered during the time where you have to mess with the radio towers in and around the first part of the soviet installation. even Geothermal vally didnt make my performance drop... it was only when i had a lot of buildings in my field of view in the snow.

i really feel like GTA 5 is still going to run like crap. i hate to say it but you changed my whole mentality on my GTX 1070 Witcher29 :/..... im freaking out.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  3. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    You have 2x1080s for 1080p? :3eyes: That 1080p screen better be 144Hz g-sync or something...

I run Witcher 3, all maxed, medium hairworks @1440p 60 FPS capped with vsync on. On the rare occasions when it drops under 60, it's not going under ~55, I'm totally fine with that.

4. SA SYS

SA SYS Guest

GPU:
    GEFORCE GTX 1080 FE

i had 290 trix and playing all new games 1440p very high settings with 40 45 fps and that was good!
    a sinlge 1080 should be enough for 1440p gaming and even some games in 4k
    u r killing ur cards man! a 1070 is enough for 1080p!
    plz buy a 4k asus gsync monitor or a qhd 144hz one!
    and see ... u wish that u had this monitor before!

5. MrCompillitrate

MrCompillitrate Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080ti/960m
    Super quiet, and incredibly efficient! Surprised when i went from 2 8pin PCIe connectors, to only 1 on the STRIX..

It has to be my CPU then. i'm just confused because it NEVER hits 100% usage. i turned Reflection AA down cause i don't notice the difference. But as soon as i turn the advanced settings on, i dip down to 45fps, which is super playable, but i like having constant 60.

I was having stuttering issues in Witcher 3, but after some tweaking, I maxed out Witcher 3 on ultra with 60FPS even in town. so it's doable. Granted i have +200MHz to the core clock. Still, i haven't seen the card break 65C, my 970 would hit 70C easy..

6. Autarch20

Autarch20 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX FE 1080
    why is my 1070 coming tues next week if i ordered it this morning at like 3 am? i am a prime member and selected 2 day shipping?

7. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    The weekends don't count as shipping days

8. mjorgenson

mjorgenson Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW-RX 480
    Gratz!

The 1070 is a great board, and imho a better buy than the 1080.

9. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Witcher 3 is only really taxing under certain circumstances. The most taxing areas in the Witcher 3 are in heavily forested areas with lots of foliage during dusk times.

I don't know what it is, but I think it has to do with CDPR's use of shadow maps for dusk. During these times, GPU usage will be WAY more than during day or night time. My GTX 1080 will hit 100% usage in these areas!

Hairworks can be taxing as well, but for GTX 980 Ti and up, it's not really a problem unless you're running very high resolutions.

10. Autarch20

Autarch20 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX FE 1080
    thx m8! i tend to agree... i also noticed for the ASUS strix i got it only requires 1x 8pin connector... I would like to see this card pitted up against the EVGA 1070 FTW.

11. mjorgenson

mjorgenson Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW-RX 480
    Honestly...I think the extra 8 is overkill. The cards seem to all OC the same and it is just silicon lottery whether it is a founders or any AIB card. AIB cards will run cooler though.

12. Autarch20

Autarch20 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX FE 1080
    WAit a minute, is the EVGA 1070 FTW better than the ASUS Strix 1070 in performance?? can anyone find anything about these two in comparison?? i cant compare at GPU boss for some reason. Mjorgenson, you have a 1070 FTW whats the difference in perf... i know that the FTW has two 8 pins.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  13. mjorgenson

mjorgenson Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW-RX 480
    I first got a EVGA GTX 1070 SC that has a single 8-pin. I could get a tiny bit better OC with the FTW, but it had nothing to do with power. From what I read the 8-pin supplies more than enough power for the voltage cap set by the bios.

Basically in all the reviews i have read, all the AIB cards regardless of power connectors run neck and neck. At this point the $10 difference between the SC and FTW is only worth it if you like the RGB LED's.

14. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    All overclock almost the same, even my Founder Edition with a reference PCB clock to arround 2080-2100Mhz, the big difference with the custom models are the temperatures.
    A card with a TDP of 150W doesn't need 54 phases and 10 pci-e power ....

15. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    That's why I'm using adaptive vsync with 60fps limit.Without it I'd get slowdowns on the outskirts of the city.

But I've noticed something even with the 670s.Without vsync, the character animation in cutscenes will not be smooth at all.

Could be the game though as other people on steam forums have the same issue after the last few updates.

Yea these cards are awesome for 1080p! :)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016

16. MrCompillitrate

MrCompillitrate Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080ti/960m
    Yeah, 2100Mhz here. Not done yet either.

17. mjorgenson

mjorgenson Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW-RX 480
    I'm getting 2133Mhz stable is games.....just not in 3Dmark Firestrike, Timespy is OK.....3Dmark Firestrike driver crashes after 2088Mhz.

18. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    120 hertz @ full HD, i mainly get between 80 and 105 fps, ofcourse if u have a 60 hertz monitor 1 single gtx 1080 is enough :p

19. Arbold

Arbold Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070 Zotac Amp Extreme
    I got my GTX 1070 Amp Extreme 2 days ago and i have to say i love this thing. Sure, my Firestrike and Timespy scores are held back by my CPU but appart from that it's a lovely card.

20. Autarch20

Autarch20 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX FE 1080
    ive been reading up and watching youtube videos about the core i5 Bottlenecks on the 1070 and 1080... I Guess i just expected my Core i5 4690K to be a little more future proof than it made out to be... its really a shame to know that my 4690K might be keeping me from enjoying my shiney new ASUS GTX 1070 Strix when it arrives on Monday. i heard someone say (and i cant remember where) that even the brand new Skylakes are bottlenecking the 10 series GFX cards (even if its just by a little bit).. they went on further to say that the 1070 and 1080's power wont be fully utilized until the next *CPUcodename here* CPU come out.- this seems like a bit of a stretch but part of me feels like this might actually be true...

congrats on your Amp X 2 mane!!

also where are your guys's GTX 1070 pics?? i wanna see some GFX card pr0n!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.