Review: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING Z 8G

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We test and review the all custom, cooled and tweaked higher GAMING Z edition GeForce GTX 1080 from MSI. Let's check out the new 8 GB beast with the all new TwinFrozr revision VI cooler, extra RGB LE...

Review: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING Z 8G

2. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Strange mine came with a black PCI bracket yours is silver. Over all tho it's a very nice card, and very quiet.

3. ZebMacahan

ZebMacahan Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Nice review. Can we expect a Evga gtx 1080 FTW review soon?

4. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Great review, really like the MSI coolers. Any chance on the EVGA Classified this time around?

5. dean469

dean469 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480GTR @1385
    Why no RX 480 results in the graphs?

6. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Nice review as per, but the prices for these cards! £755 in the UK for this. We really need more competition in this space to bring these prices down a little otherwise the 1080ti is going to cost over £1000!

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Even the reference model appears to be able to reach around the 2 Ghz core clock speed without too much and then it just kinda can't go further for whatever reason, I don't know if that's been checked into or what this limit might be caused by, anyway the "boost 3.0" functionality means the reference GPU will fluctuate somewhat between the base speed and boost speed although going by reviews it tends to be closer to the boost speed most of the time.

You don't really need to pay for these top-end third party designs if it's about speed although having it stock overclocked and better cooled plus possible PCB improvements might be useful though yeah something just seems to cause these GPU's to cap out around roughly 2 Ghz regardless.
    (Something in the GPU itself maybe but I wouldn't know.)

Then again even the reference 1080 GPU is pretty costly and early on supply was also a bit limited.

So yeah it'll be interesting to see what a bigger Pascal GPU will be capable of once Nvidia reveals something and also what it'll end up at in terms of pricing.
    (Somewhere around 700$ - 1000$ might not be too unreasonable though I assume Nvidia won't be making a "Titan" GPU of it so above 1000$ is hopefully not happening.)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm not sure Hilbert gets EVGA cards to review...

9. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    Nice review as usual Hilbert thx!.

As mentioned by fantaskarsef Evga cards aren't reviewed anymore for obvious reasons.Maybe in the future again time will tell :).

Still credit for G3D to post news about Evga cards.

10. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    He reviewed the EVGA GTX 1070 SC:
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/evga-geforce-gtx-1070-sc-superclocked-gaming-review,1.html

That's why we're asking now :)
    Hoping EVGA's salty period is over.

11. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
  12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
  13. rhysiam

rhysiam Guest

GPU:
    Disappointing OCing

Am I the only one surprised and a little disappointed about the tiny gains from OCing these cards. Despite pretty significant bumps in clock speeds which look really impressive, we're consistently seeing only 5%-10% improvement in clock rates on a OC'd aftermarket card over the stock FE cards, with one or two benchmarks pushing maybe 12%.

The 1070s seem to be getting more like 10-15% fps bump, but that's still hardly exciting.

The OC'd boost clocks are almost 25% higher than a FE boost... What's going on? Can they just not sustain the boost clocks? This is a 10 phase card, if it can't what can? Or is there some other bottleneck going on?

14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Well check the AB pic. Boost clock and memory clock are going up and down

15. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Nice review Hilbert.

Sadly, the whole point of this cards is to use it with MSI Gaming APP. And oh boy, I just had some incredibly bad experience with that in the past 2 days.

I just wanted to make my 1070 LED "breathing red", because it looks pretty cool, but this software is so buggy and weird, it messed with my OC, with my fan profile, not to mention it felt incredibly bloating at startup. To make matters worse it wouldn't save the LED settings when not running the software, so the LED would shut down entirely during restarts/boot until I opened it up again. :bang:

Long story short, even though the LED effects were nice, I had to uninstall it, as it was clearly more annoying than useful.

Seriously MSI, why not incorporate a LED control in MSI AB??? Or make an "app" just for the LED control? One should not be forced to use a buggy, significantly inferior piece of software, when you have the marvelous MSI AB, just so one can change some lights... very disappointed.

16. mjorgenson

mjorgenson Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW-RX 480
    Looks like all the cards are maxing out. Buy what you like the look of and not the advertised hype.

Last section of the article is pretty interesting.

https://xdevs.com/guide/pascal_oc/