Civilization VI will get DX12 support and asynchronous compute

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    Are nvidia sponsoring any DX12 or Vulkan games at the minute? Besides ROTR. Everywhere I look it only seems to be AMD chasing low-level api's

3. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Who knows. But from the Doom implementation we can see what AMD have been working towards the last 4 years.

4. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Another game where nvidia cards gonna have negative scaling.

5. Dygaza

Dygaza Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    Why? Because AMD is helping to implement it? Or because nvidia has hard time getting benefits for low level API's before they reach state where they are cpu bound? Nvidia helped implement DX12 to Rotr, and they had negative scaling aswell. Give it time, this is simply good news that someone is pushing new tech, as all studios are still learning to use them properly. Generally I think people has had too high expectations of such new and complicated tech.

6. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    i'm all about dx12 and Vulkan replace the aging DX11, it just seems nvidia arch can't adapt to dx12 as well as AMD, which means AMD gonna have a good gains while nvidia won't have any, like all DX12 games now.

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    That certainly can be true. I myself already saw dx12 as some sort of related to what mantle did, and I just imagined to not gain much with it since my rig isn't exactly on the lower end of the spectrum either. But still I found myself thinking 'why does my hardware gain nothing or so little with dx12?' I just forgot to not expect too much, running a capable CPU and Nvidia cards.

8. skules

skules Member

GPU:
    Nvidia geforce 9800
    Have you ever played CIV? It isn't a graphics intesive game, it's a CPU one. Nvidia will be fine.

Especially since looking at the graphics for civ 6, they are cartoony and look like they won't exactly take a lot to run.

9. kegastaMmer

kegastaMmer Guest

GPU:
    strix 1070 GTX
    And thats why dx12 +AComp.

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    True. Actually, I was kind of surprised, 6 doesn't even look as 'good' as 5.

Still doesn't help with calculating AI moves at the end of your turn... and fps on the campaign map never were that much of a problem, see above.

11. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You never played huge maps with a low of players...

12. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    1070 and 1080 have so big muscles and nice OC potential that the owners have nothing to worry about even if they get no extra fps from dx12/vulkan compared to dx11.

13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Thats what nvidia is going for, brute power to compete. Idk how will that turn out but we'll see.

14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The DX11 drivers are also good with Nvidia cards, so unless you CPU is poor it may not be worth using DX12 as there is more chance if api specific bugs with DX12.

15. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Yea,but if they don't step up their game and release proper drivers for DX12 and Vulkan they'll have a rude awakening when Vega comes,with it's big muscles also but that knows how to use em'.

I miss drivers that gave x% performance boost for GPU X and y% performance boost for GPU Y etc,Now we have drivers that give "support" for One game . And those are lousy.

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Nvidia's drivers for DX12 and Vulkan are fine, it's in the hands of the devs now so compared to the past there's a limit to what they can do.

17. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    What ridiculous statement. No we haven't played Civ 6 yet because it's still in development and hasn't been released to the public :wanker: Difficult to draw conclusions about performance, any statements are estimates based off Civ 5 and assumptions from game play videos released by the developer.

18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    A big plus for AMD, and I think they've got NV in a pickle until Volta is out. Have a feeling NVs driver team is going to be working overtime to catch up with AMDs potential gains in future Vulkan/DX12 based games. This may mean more focus on Pascal than Maxwell (despite their similar arches). Pascal has a little edge over Maxwell in DX12 and thats when we may see growing gaps in performance in newer games. Kepler is virtually dead in the water in such upcoming titles.

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Why all the talk of drivers like this is like older api's?

They are not totally irrelevant, but no one is likely to release a game changing driver that will fix a whole api.

If a game is not using Nvidia GPU's as well as it should, then the devs will be the ones to fix.

20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Yes you have a point. But still there may be room in drivers to compensate in one form or another, which may result In NV devoting more of their time on Pascal optimizations than earlier gens for example.