New Patch Brings Vulkan support to Doom

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 11, 2016.

1. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    The scary part is that the Nvidia cards, Maxwell and especially Pascal, are running at a much higher clock speed to get an advantage. More brute strength approach. Imagine what AMD speeds will be if they can get their GPUs to hit 1700mhz.

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Maxwell+ is really the same style of design, don't expect anything to change for them. Fermi was the one with the different design and the last one with full hardware scheduling (they even showed a Linux kernel boot on it with no CPU back then :D), but it suffered due to thermal and frequency problems (ring any bells? *cough* GCN * cough * ;) )
    NVIDIA will probably make Volta be even closer to GCN and AMD will make the next iterations of GCN closer to the NVIDIA design up to a point. There won't be any kind of switch from a compute oriented to a more graphics oriented paradigm for game engines though. That ship has sailed along with the console contracts. That means that unless NVIDIA clocks the next gen at crazy frequencies, they have to redesign, something that I'm sure is already happening.

That's the gist of it, and that's why NVIDIA owners feel "betrayed". When it's only the DX11/older game numbers pushed through marketing, you tend to believe that what you have will equally improve as to keep it's performance/dollar. That hasn't happened with NVIDIA GPUs since Fermi, and it will be at its worst this year, when GCN 1.0 GPUs will be around providing completely playable framerates to newer DX12/Vulkan titles, while anything older than Maxwell (and I'm not even sure about that) will be suddenly seeming not to be worth the price difference. The way the 280x creeps on the 970 (and I mean getting within 20%) on some titles is not funny at all.

That's one approach. It's not the worst approach. NVIDIA DOES have the performance crown. Their approach is working, their only issue is perceived pricing because their products seem to lose performance/dollar, due to AMD products getting better.

3. Orthello

Orthello Guest

GPU:
    980 tri sli @ 1740/7900
    I guess if people don't do their research and only read reviews with dx11 games some people could be misled.

But yeah the trend is plain to see, virtually every dx12 port so far and the doom Vulkan performance benches so far have all been wins for amd where last generation cards are now close or better to current nv generation cards.

Only blind fanboyism could keep people from seeing that at this stage.

All AMD actually has to do is get their software engineers to help the game developers implement dx12 / vulkan support and it seems they will massively improve. If they do that on the AAA titles its really going to help them.

4. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I can't find a single new AAA game that will not have a low-level API implementation.

5. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Obviously. AMD has nothing on the market to compete with 1070 and 1080, and won't have for many months. So, it's not even an issue of having no worries, it's an issue of not having any alternatives in the first place. Either get Nvidia or get nothing.

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Why such wildly inconsistent results from both sides?

7. Hansel Hardcore

Hansel Hardcore Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GamingX 1080ti
    Ok i tried Doom using low settings with vulkan on my Win7 780 3gb gpu, and it works, but when i try ultra it either crashes or freezes!

Also i am finding that because opengl has sli support for Doom in the latest nv drivers, although the scaling is not great i am getting much better fps compared to vulkan.

My friend has the exact same pc as mine but is using Win10 instead, he tried vulkan at ultra with a single gpu and does not get anywhere near as high of fps as i am getting with opengl sli!

So for now opengl sli is the better option for me if i want to play with ultra settings and also get higher performance, until they fix the ultra crashing issue i have with vulkan, or add sli support to vulkan Doom.

Of note with sli and using ultra settings, i do not get any glitches like some people have reported when using sli and the insane settings.

8. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Well now then my fps at times is 50% more then it was. That async compute added quite a bit. Suddenly so fast 290x.

Even tho if DSOGaming used the same settings as before they had smaa on.

9. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Installed latest driver, messed around a little on ultra nightmare. Game has clearly become unstable and hangs on level transitions.

Thanks nVidia?

10. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Ok, Vulkan really has made a massive impact!

Resolution is 1080p and I put the graphics settings on the Ultra preset (no AA) and as a quick and simple test, went to the final level Argent D'Nur and overlooked the scene where there is a little monster infighting going on and fired off the triple minigun turret.

Gpu-z screenshot of gpu
    [​IMG]
    OGL - walking around at the start of the level where you first spawn, my fps was already below 60 (would hover between 50-55) and then when you reach the part where you overlook the first section where monsters spawn (that you have to jump down to) fps tanks between 25-35 fps
    [​IMG]
    Vulkan on the other hand, at the start of the level, fps is between 60 upto 65 when walking around, and as approaching the section of monsters, it does tank again however, this time it drops to between 35-45!!!
    [​IMG]
    Now I've already played and completed Doom 2016, and to be able to enjoy smooth and fluid gameplay (without it dropping below 60fps) I had to play with mostly medium settings (with only a couple of settings on high), now it looks like I might be able to have mostly high settings! :D

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016

11. Lowice

Lowice Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 980ti OC
    Well I differently get a boost on my system.

Have a intel i7 3820 clocked to 4.2GHz and a GTX980 Ti and 16GB 1600MHz ram and in all resolutions I get a huge boost.

In 1080p I jump from 120fps to 160-200fps. In 1440p I'm in the +110fps and in 4K I jump from around 30-40 fps to 50-70 fps so huge performance boost for me in Vulkan over OpenGL.

12. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Maybe people previously CPU bounded get a boost on Nvidia. As for me it's a clear lose of framerate all the way, very noticeable. I still have to test open area tho.

The 480 is showing as an amazing product with this new DX12 title, and buying a 1060 over it seems less and less smart in the long run.

13. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Yeah I am thinking people with really powerful nvidia cards like 980 ti with cpu that introduces a bottleneck are getting a boost in fps. i7 3820 @ 4.2 with 1600 mhz ram most likely does bottleneck quite a bit vs 5820k @ 4.6 for example :p And doom does use all the threads.

14. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
  15. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    nice :nerd:

Hey, i actually did a proper benchmark run in the early game, and it's actually really mixed:

I can't tell if there's a boost or a loss from Vulkan overall, sometimes it's better, sometimes it worse. Pretty Weird.

But the intro sequence, with our character smashing a head on the desk go as low as 63 frame per second on Vulkan, against 87 for OpenGL.

I'm uploading a video right now, from early shotgun to getting outside, it's really hard to tell.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Intruder, hows is it running on a 2gb vram gpu? If your seeing such a boost and works fine i guess that bethesda warning for Kepler 2gb cards ware intended just for them.

Kepler is in the crapper.

17. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I would have cared for Vulkan if they had not left Fermi in the cold.

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    And I think its all down to Vulcan driver.

Extraordinary has 1.0.8.. some amd user had 1.0.11.. yet another 1.0.18?

Either all use the same or its bs.

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    In-Game it says 1.0.8, extracting the NVIDIA driver shows the installer as 1.0.11.1

[​IMG]

EDIT - Just manually installed the above, and in-game still shows 1.0.8

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  20. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    It seems to be running fairly well, although checking gpu-z, the game is using 1.7GB of VRAM while there is another 1.8GB in swap (this makes sense as I am getting a fair amount of texture pop-in) but the game is actually playable as most combat seems to stay consistently around 45fps whereas in OGL, it does give a fair amount of stutter dropping to sub-30fps (not that I'd game at these settings, I'll be tweaking them to get constant 60fps)