DooM 4 Thread (Pt.2)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by morbias, Jun 6, 2016.

1. darkshadow5k5

darkshadow5k5 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte vega 56 OC
    Tested the opening section (when you get up from the table), because that area gave me the lowest fps.
    setting it to all high and shadows to medium gave me 50fps lowest there, ultra settings would dip below 40.

With Vulkan everything on ultra, rock solid 60fps, pretty insane, I hope more games add support.

2. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    There won't be much gain for NVidia with Vulkan in this game as NVidia did already great in OpenGL already. Obviously AMD has been notorious with bad OpenGL support, so because of that it will appear like they have larger gains with Vulkan in Doom.

3. eddylipstick

eddylipstick Member

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    I'm loosing 20fps using vulkan...

80fps to 60fps on ultra settings/1080p. 780ti @ 368.39

4. deathfrag

deathfrag Guest

first scene 1440p opengl 52fps vulcan 88 fps

5. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I think id should fully uncap this game as I'm sure I can get more than 200fps in some indoor situations. It would also help future-proof this game.

6. sean8102

sean8102 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
  7. DarkLiberator

DarkLiberator Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    I got a similar boost with my setup as well. CPU bottleneck perhaps? Some people with Nvidia cards have not gained any FPS and even lost some.

8. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Vulkan offered a solid boost here.
    Before, I could average about 70-80fps smoothly in OpenGL. In Vulkan, I'm pushing 120 almost constantly.
    And in some areas, over 140.

9. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Yes! Finally, DOOM works as it should! No more running in a window! Game runs ultra smooth now!

Although, I just cant be happy now can I? RTSS does not work with DOOM and Vulkan yet it would seem. Need to do more testing but my standard setting is doing nothing for frame limiting.

Still, a huge, huge improvement!

10. sean8102

sean8102 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    I haven't tested that yet, but I did notice that for some reason I do not get screen tearing when using Vulkan with v-sync off. Not sure how. Switching the game between borderless and window makes no difference either way I don't see tearing like I do in OGL. Running Windows 10 if that could have any effect on it. Curious if anyone else experiences this.

11. sean8102

sean8102 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    I've seen some comments saying that 1080p res shows gains, and anything above can be negative with Vulkan on GTX 1080. Not sure yet if that's true, but worth testing.

12. sean8102

sean8102 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    I'm really glad to hear that the Vulkan renderer took care of the v-sync crap on AMD cards. I had a 390 previously and that V-sync thing drove me nearly insaine. What really irks me about it is that there is no reason OpenGL adaptive v-sync can't work on AMD... but anyways glad its not a issue anymore.

13. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Dunno what it is about this game on my system but even with this latest Vulkan patch I still experience the following issues (on maxed out Ultra/Nightmare settings at 2560x1440 with the game installed on a 2 TB Western Digital Black hard drive):

1. Tediously long initial loading times to the main menu... seriously it takes around 3-4 minutes before I can even access any options! Why are there too progress bars here anyway?

2. If I go to Mission Select and pick The UAC then after another long loading time of around 2-3 minutes the game starts running at 13 fps using under 15% GPU and around 25% CPU. This 'bug' can be replicated every time. If I resume by save game then the game runs at 100+ FPS (with V-Sync off).

3. The game takes over a minute to quit to the desktop suggesting that it is using a lot of memory, possibly page file space but yet I have 16 GB of RAM.

Qutting the game then reloading results in quicker loading times but they are still far too long when playing a level for the first time.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  14. HellSpawn2097

HellSpawn2097 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX4080 S
    Results are sketchy at best.
    Some users gain fps, others lose...

I think it's best to wait for future updates for the API,might see better results overall then.

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Anyone know what's causing this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. sean8102

sean8102 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    I have noticed the same thing when using Vulkan. My guess is just a bug, either driver related or the game.

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Thanks, changed a few things that might be causing it, like AF, AA, rendering mode etc but was the same throughout

Not to worry, only really noticeable on plain backgrounds

18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeah saw that too. Intermittent stutters here and there.

19. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Maybe it's just me but with the lack of performance improvements in DirectX 12 games (mostly due to a lack of asynchronous compute support) and now Vulkan showing little or no improvement over OpenGL on NVIDIA cards, I can't help but be a bit disappointed. All that hype and for what? Seems like AMD are taking all the glory currently with DX12 and Vulkan while NVIDIA act as if they don't care (or maybe they are just too busy releasing lots of new and very expensive graphics cards?).

20. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    After testing indoors area in single-player, I can now say that Opengl still provides higher fps. The difference is around 5-15fps. While moving around, Opengl consistently gives a higher highest fps (180+ vs 170+). This is with everything maxed out, highest AA 8x and 16x anisotropic, both nightmare settings, 130fov, 1920x1200.

Will report back with outdoor scenario.